• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I got my CPAP on monday and I have to say that my wife sleeps better:)

She has been trying to get me to get tested for years . I haven't been to the Dr for the results yet but the tech put the machine on me after an hour. I guess it was bad because I didn't think I had been to sleep yet.

The machine is an adjustment and I can only manage 3-4 hours without waking up. I do feel better rested in the morning and it's only been a few nights

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I got my CPAP on monday and I have to say that my wife sleeps better:)

She has been trying to get me to get tested for years . I haven't been to the Dr for the results yet but the tech put the machine on me after an hour. I guess it was bad because I didn't think I had been to sleep yet.

The machine is an adjustment and I can only manage 3-4 hours without waking up. I do feel better rested in the morning and it's only been a few nights

If you normally run a humidifier in your home they make an attachment for the cpap that is AWESOME

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I am actually scheduled to ahve a sleep study in a few weeks. For those who have CPAPs, a question-- Does the sound of the machine bother your spouse at all?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am actually scheduled to ahve a sleep study in a few weeks. For those who have CPAPs, a question-- Does the sound of the machine bother your spouse at all?

it makes almost no sound, maybe as loud as a small fan on low

my wife is sleeping much better:)
    she can't here her alarm,she says she is catching up on 25 years worth of sleep:D

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    70 minutes of sleep

Had one of those at ST V's North East around a year ago, right before my Physical. Slept for a whole 70 min. They and my DR. could not come up with a diagnosis or a remedy. I still take 3 Xanax every night and don't sleep well to this day. Was going to go back for a second try till I lost my job and my ins. Had a nerve conductivity test at some Nureologists office at ST V's North and saw some info that they treat sleep disorders. Might give them a try when I get re-insured. Like My Family MD, but he doen't seem to like to prescribe Sleeping pills. Not sure I want to start down that road, but really need to get some solid sleep! I probably average about 4hrs a night if I'm lucky. Even busting my a** working hard during the day don't seem to help. :dunno:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Like My Family MD, but he doen't seem to like to prescribe Sleeping pills. Not sure I want to start down that road, but really need to get some solid sleep! I probably average about 4hrs a night if I'm lucky. Even busting my a** working hard during the day don't seem to help. :dunno:

Sorry to hear this, but I agree with your MD, in general. Insomnia is most often a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. Sleeping pills taken when you don't know what's causing the symptom can be like taking a narcotic pain reliever for chest pain. The pain goes away, but you're still having a heart attack!

I hope you find an answer soon!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    the machine itself doesn't bother her at all. sometimes if i move around in my sleep, i'll get an air leak from my mask, and that will wake her.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Had my first 15 years ago, the first night I was not using a CPAP system and they told me my heart almost stopped from lack of air. Second night with CPAP I got the best night sleep in years, Been using a CPAP everynight since. Also, lost weight and am never sleepy driving or at work. If you have a sleep disorder please talk to your doctor, it will save your life.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I am posting this because I was unaware how serious this can be and finding out how many people have it and are untreated.

I say it's hogwash! There is probably over 60% of the population that has "sleep apnea" We aren't all going to die in our sleep.

Is there extreme cases, sure. But everyone else... it's about $$

Did they have these fancy machines 40 years ago? People weren't mysteriously dieing in their sleep then.

Medical advancements are great, but sometimes I think it's overkill. Hell, look at any school aged children now. They want them tested for ADD,ADHD, dose them up on riddlin, when all they really need is a paddle to the ass, like we had growing up!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I say it's hogwash! There is probably over 60% of the population that has "sleep apnea" We aren't all going to die in our sleep.

Did they have these fancy machines 40 years ago? People weren't mysteriously dieing in their sleep then.

Medical advancements are great, but sometimes I think it's overkill. Hell, look at any school aged children now. They want them tested for ADD,ADHD, dose them up on riddlin, when all they really need is a paddle to the ass, like we had growing up!

Fine: Nobody said anything about dieing in their sleep. Ignorance is what I am trying to eliminate. Although I have not recieved treatment yet, those that I have spoken with personnaly say that recieving treatment has been life changing. Not just feel a little better, I said life changing.

All other benefits aside, several have mentioned "increased libido" That's enough reason for me.

BTW I have no finacial investment in passing along this information.

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana

So you just make up statistics and this is supposed to support your opinion? There is estimated to be 12-18 million cases of moderate to severe sleep apnea in the US. This represents approximately 4-6% of the population, not 60%.

This is a disease that erodes your health over time and contributes to cardiovascular disease rather than kills suddenly. A study was done at the University of Wisconsin followed 1,522 adults ages 30 to 60, and found the annual death rate in those without sleep apnea was 2.85 per 1,000 people per year. However, for those with mild and moderate apnea the death rates were 5.54 and 5.42 per 1,000, respectively, while those with severe apnea had a rate of 14.6, researchers reported.

So, the death rate of those with severe sleep apnea is five times that of those without sleep apnea. And while cardiovascular mortality accounted for 26 percent of deaths among those without apnea, it accounted for 42 percent of the deaths among those with severe apnea. The overall mortality for cardiovascular disease has decreased over the past 40 years, so your argument is simply incorrect. More people WERE dying 40 years ago.

Other studies have shown reduced death rates in people with sleep apnea who use CPAP machines.

The research simply does not support your denial.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Hate to necro post

I had my sleep study 4 weeks ago and I am waiting on my machine. Insurance people are Dlcks. Ive been on the fome M-F for two weeks now and nothing. We need a sleep disorder support group:

I would need a cool name like:
    INGO'rs at Rest

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Hate to necro post

I had my sleep study 4 weeks ago and I am waiting on my machine. Insurance people are Dlcks. Ive been on the fome M-F for two weeks now and nothing. We need a sleep disorder support group:

I would need a cool name like:
    INGO'rs at Rest

Thanks for the resurrection, actually! I also had my sleep study about a month ago and something quite strange happened. My husband and I had started a diet and I lost about 10 pounds in the time leading up to the sleep study. My husband commented that I wasn't snoring as much and I noticed I was sleeping better. The sleep study was actually normal! I've been sleeping quite well ever since! Go figure! I'm a happy camper!

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    My name is Kevin and I'm a CPAP user.

Yes the sleep study is uncomfortable, but its worth it.

My blood pressure was approaching 200/140 because I wasn't getting any true sleep. I was irritable all the time, and could nod off if I didn't concentrate on staying awake. I averaged 78 times an hour of not breathing.

As to no one has died from it, you're very wrong and giving bad advice. Reggie White, THE Reggie White, died from sleep apnea. There have been deaths from it for years attributed to something else but sleep apnea was the cause. Hyper tension, high blood pressure are the top two that sleep apnea causes.

If you even think you have it, don't dance around with what ifs and excuses, get the damned test.

Top Bottom