• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Today I was shooting my Springfield XD45. I had already shot a few mags then on one about halfway through the slide locked back as if the magazine was empty but still had rounds in it. I closed the slide and continued shooting with no more problems the rest of the day. what would make this happen? first time it has ever happened to me with any gun I've ever shot.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Was the slide locked back, did you actually have to hit the slide release? I had it happen to me once, I moved the slide lock up with my hand while I was firing. I was messing around with different hand positions trying out stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your thumb strayed. A piece of crap got in the way. Gremlins. The cartridge bumped it.

What is really important is your immediate response to it.

It happens.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As already stated most likely your thumb just rode the slide stop and caused this to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about just this one time occurence, it happens to the best of us. As long as you how to react you are good to go. If this starts happening more often then I would take a look at your grip and go from there.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Try looking and see if you got brass build up on your slide stop. I had to have Kimber send me a modified slide stop for my Covert.

If you do u mite try filing it off lightly.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Good reason to disable the slide stop. Most competition 1911s have this done just to make sure the slide doesn't lock back early in a match. Less is more.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Only draw back to modifying the slide stop is not knowing your round count in your mag. Sucks in IDPA and you go click...and the seconds are counting off

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    In IPSC if you can't keep count on your rounds fired you're not going to be very competitive. In IPSC you also learn very quickly to NEVER shoot the gun dry. All reloads are done with a round in the chamber and the slide forward. Rob Leatham's guns as far back as the 1980s had the slide stop activation tab shortened so it would not lock open unless you shove a thumb up under it. So did Brian Enos. I have seen numerous shooters in big money matches blow a stage because their gun locked with rounds remaining. None of my guns ever will. Automatic lock open on empty is kind of like training wheels.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If I shoot my XD "thumbs high" it locks the slide back. with some regularity. I don't shoot thumbs high, it's not very comfortable for me, but it was something the instructor told me to use during some training. After the third or fouth time I quit doing it.

The slide lock on an XD is not very prominent, but it's out there just enough and in just the right place to cause an issue with certain grip styles.

Top Bottom