• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    Is one method better/worse than the other. I have a Kahr PM45 and Glock 36 that I share carry time with. The Kahr gets a bit more holster time than the Glock. The Kahr recommends slide release and I have gotten into a habit of doing this with not only my Kahr but my Glocks and 1911's when at the range. So does it really matter or is one better/worse than the other.

Edg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I shoot Glocks and Kahrs almost exclusively, and use the overhand slide rack (as opposed to the "slingshot" method) for both types. Really sucks when I then pick up my 22/45 and have to use the bolt release. :rolleyes:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I usually use the slide release for my various semi-autos. I think it's faster, less movement, etc. I did get ina discussion awhile back with a buddy in Oklahoma who had just come from a class that was geared for military getting ready to deploy and was all about becomeing more prfoficient with their handguns. They taught the overhand, palm on top of the slide method. He said their rasoning was that it's less of a fine motor skill and in the heat of combat, you want decicive moves that are sure to get results. Also, many soldiers wear gloves all the time outside on missions/patrols, etc and it's an easier, more positive movement than trying to get a gloved thumb on teh small slide release. The argument made sense to me, bu I still use the slide release method myself! What can I say; I'm a creature of habit!

Doug K

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They taught the overhand, palm on top of the slide method. He said their rasoning was that it's less of a fine motor skill

Also, many soldiers wear gloves all the time outside on missions/patrols, etc and it's an easier, more positive movement than trying to get a gloved thumb on teh small slide release.

I'm not sure if the "fine motor skill" argument holds water, but the glove thing certainly does. Additionally, the overhand method uses the same motion and muscle memory as the "wipe" method some trainers teach for clearing a stovepipe, and commonality is a good thing.

My :twocents:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Overhand rack always. It is a swift motion that is ingrained into your memory in most training classes, and it does not require you to adjust your grip. Also, the slide release may be located in a slightly different position on a gun that you have to pick up and shoot in the dark. The overhand rack requires no thought or sight.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Overhand rack always. It is a swift motion that is ingrained into your memory in most training classes, and it does not require you to adjust your grip. Also, the slide release may be located in a slightly different position on a gun that you have to pick up and shoot in the dark. The overhand rack requires no thought or sight.

:+1:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm not sure if the "fine motor skill" argument holds water...

I know how adrenaline affects me. I definitely lose some degree of fine motor skill... hands sort of numb out a little and shake some (among other things). I practise and prefer the overhand motion for this reason.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Another consideration is that using the slide stop as a slide release wears the mechanism. Doing it occasionally is not any big deal but over time the action will get less and less positive and eventually it may no longer hold the slide open. On most guns it's no big deal to replace.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know how adrenaline affects me. I definitely lose some degree of fine motor skill... I practise and prefer the overhand motion for this reason.

Several people who know a LOT more about this stuff than I do assert that hitting the slide release isn't any finer of a motor skill than pulling the trigger or hitting the mag release, which we don't seem to have much of a problem doing under stress. :dunno:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    On the range I have always used the slide release. During recent training we practiced and "learned" the overhand. I like it, and will attempt to use it most times. It's hard to give up flipping your thumb though as it's so ingrained.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Several people who know a LOT more about this stuff than I do assert that hitting the slide release isn't any finer of a motor skill than pulling the trigger or hitting the mag release, which we don't seem to have much of a problem doing under stress. :dunno:

That makes sense.

I guess I was thinking more about the slingshot (slide gripped between thumb and forefinger) and the overhand (slide gripped between palm and several fingers) methods... that's how I was tought.

I don't use the slide release mechanism because of wear... my glock's release showed some visible wear after my first trip to the range...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I guess I was thinking more about the slingshot (slide gripped between thumb and forefinger) and the overhand (slide gripped between palm and several fingers) methods... that's how I was tought.

Me too. Again, neither is a "fine" motor skill, but the overhand method is IMO more secure and positive than the "slingshot," and has the added benefit of sharing muscle memory with the stovepipe clearance method previously described.

I also occasionally practice using the slide stop/release, and doing one-handed slide racks using the sights or top of the slide on the holster/belt/leg, because you never know.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Me too. Again, neither is a "fine" motor skill, but the overhand method is IMO more secure and positive than the "slingshot," and has the added benefit of sharing muscle memory with the stovepipe clearance method previously described.

I also occasionally practice using the slide stop/release, and doing one-handed slide racks using the sights or top of the slide on the holster/belt/leg, because you never know.

I learned the one hand slide rack tecnique and while I am glad to know it, boy I would never use it except in an emergency after getting some flesh caught not quite doing it right!

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I agree alot with what shooter said, however I have been trained to use the "slingshot" method in the work space. This does two things, first it lets you see down range and what the targets are doing, second it gives you the ability to watch the bullet travel into the chamber.

If you are doing speed reloads your weapon should be almost in the same place and you just rotate your strong hand over from viewing the mag well, to the ejection port and grab the slide, pull release and fire.

As others have said it's personal preference, Shooter has more trigger time and more training time than I but I have my way ingrained and it would be hard to change.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I have been working hard to learn to use the slide release, after a injury I had to switch shooting hands, when I shot left handed always used the overhand method but I'm unable to rack a slide with my damaged left hand now.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I use the overhand rack as well (Glock and Kahr). The Kahr manual recommends using the slide stop to chamber a round, but proper overhand technique will also get a round chambered - even a hollow point.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I'm not sure if the "fine motor skill" argument holds water, but the glove thing certainly does. Additionally, the overhand method uses the same motion and muscle memory as the "wipe" method some trainers teach for clearing a stovepipe, and commonality is a good thing.

From the training I have gotten (not a lot but a few classes) I have been taught the overhand method as shooter describes for the reasons shooter describes.

Top Bottom