• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I have a Win. model 9422 tube fed lever action that I would like to put a sling on. I'm thinking a screw in rear stud, because I have one, and a 1" leather sling, again because I have one, my question is what is the best mount for the front? I'm not sure about a clamp, I don't want to distort the tube. Any help and links would be appreciated.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The Appleseed Instructors are very adept at rigging up a sling on a rifle that shows up without a sling or even any sort of sling studs or swivels. Many use zip ties to attach only the front of the sling to the front of the rifle. This will cause you to use the loop sling configuration since there isn’t a rear connection point, but it is easy to rig up, and doesn’t permanently change your rifle.

It doesn’t appear that Winchester ever wanted you to attach a sling to the 9422 … no standard parts from them, and no specific aftermarket parts from anybody else.

However, if you’re interested in other solutions, this is what I’ve found.

1. This is a slip on solution that might work even though it’s designed for the Marlin Model 60

Gi Sling Adapter for Marlin 60 | eBay

2. Here’s another option designed for tube fed rifles.

SLING SWIVEL SETS | Brownells

3. If you want to attach something to the forearm, then this might be the way to go.

SWIVEL STUD | Brownells

Rear Sling Swivel Assembly | Brownells

4. But, if you’re going to attach something to the forearm, you might as well install something like this.

115 SWIVEL PART SET | Brownells

Just file down the extra length of the stud machine screw after installation to avoid any contact with the tube magazine. Depending upon how thick the forearm is, you might need a washer under the nut to help spread the force of the sling along more of the wood of the forearm.

5. FWIW, this is the forearm cap that is on a Marlin 39A. It might be adaptable to the Winchester 9422.

FOREARM TIP W/SWIVEL STUD | Brownells

Best of success with this project. Let us know how things turn out.

Top Bottom