• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Rifled slugs through the smooth bore and saboted slugs through the rifled barrel. Try Hornady saboted slugs. I've had great luck with all things Hornady. I'm sure that others will have different opinions.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    Shooter1054 hit it square on the head. I have had great luck with Brenneke Heavy Field short magnums in my smoothbore slug barrels and great luck with Remington Accu-tip and Winchester Platinum Tip slugs in my rifled barrel. My advice is to buy a box of everything you can get your hands on and try them in your gun.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    BRI=Ballistic Research Industries Sabot Slugs shoot great in Cyl Bore or Improved Cyl Bore.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    Rifled slugs through the smooth bore and saboted slugs through the rifled barrel. Try Hornady saboted slugs. I've had great luck with all things Hornady. I'm sure that others will have different opinions.

Hornady is about the cheapest Sabot you will find....I dont think you will find a better sabot out there.....I even use the SST bullet in my inline....out of the last 15 I have put one through, only 3 have even made another step...12 just fell right in their tracks....

As far as rifled or foster type slugs....I have always done well with just the regular Winchester slugs...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Long time ago I think outdoor life magazine tested smooth an rifled barrels an sabot an foster type slugs....they found the cheap Winchester Super X 1 oz. Foster type slug shot the most accurate out of rifled an smooth bore barrels....since then alot of different sabots have come out. I have tried several type of slugs through my rifled barrel.....the cheap Winchester Super X fosters shoot the best....an never had a problem knocking the bucks down. My farthest shot has only been 80 yds. on a buck, but I can hit a baseball size target at 110 yds all day. Good luck.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Me and my father tried about every sabot we could get our hands on for our rifled barrels (My Remington 870 Express, his Marlin 512 Slugmaster). Nothing even came close to the Remington Coppersolid.

1" groups at 60 yards, haven't missed a deer yet with one, and never had one go farther than 20 yards after hit... 2 of 3 of my deer just dropped.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Did this with an 870 shooting Hornady SSTs at 225 yards with a Nikon Slughunter scope

Top and bottom are the first two shots when I was trying to figure out the holdover point, ones in the center are the last two. I'm confident the center would have been shot out if I had more slugs that day.

PIC-0102.jpg

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I should state for the record, I sold my shot gun for deer several years ago. I went to ML exclusively untill rifles were allowed. I now use a Marlin 1894 44mag levergun in firearms season. I have not shot Hornady sabots myself, but all ammo, reloading equipment and bullets form H have been perfect for me. Friends who use shotguns have been most accurate with Hornady sabots. I just wanted to set the record straight.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Did this with an 870 shooting Hornady SSTs at 225 yards with a Nikon Slughunter scope

Top and bottom are the first two shots when I was trying to figure out the holdover point, ones in the center are the last two. I'm confident the center would have been shot out if I had more slugs that day.

PIC-0102.jpg

I swear by those SST's! Love Hornadys!

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    We shot some of the SST's into wet phone books to see how well they expanded. Dang things didn't expand at all. Nice thing about slugs is they don't really have to expand to do work.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Federal barnes expanders if you are not going long range. The expansion cup is huge but after 125 they loose stability and start to wander.

I had one box of SST's that I had a light powder charge on 2 of them. I have the lot number listed in the safe. It went off like a 22 round. Other lots shot well.

When it comes down to smmotbore the winchester pumkinballs.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I used to shoot Brenneke rifled slugs when I had a smooth bore gun. Me and my buddies harvested many deer with these back in the day.

Top Bottom