• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlouisalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Elkhart
    I am looking to get a small 9mm carry gun and was thinking about the Ruger LC9. Price is an issue so there is no way I will be getting a Sig. One of my friends told me today that he has heard mixed reviews about the LC9(but wasn't able to tell me any) and was just wondering what the community thought. For an inexpensive small carry is the LC9 the best option, or are there other options?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    nineball's advice above is good. TONs of folks will recommend a M&P Shield, which seems to be a great gun (fairly new, so the jury is still out on overall endurance, but it should be great).
    For a carry gun, slimness is your friend!! I can recommend a Glock 26, but it's thick with its double-stack magazine, same thing for compact offerings from Ruger, Springfield, S&W, etc.
    The main complaint on the LC9 is the trigger -- long, gritty, and heavy trigger pull.

in the end...Get the Shield!

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    glock 19. its a midsize gun... awesome for carrying. go to a local gunstore, hold as many guns as possible and see what is most comfortable for you though. M&P's are also amazing guns like the guy above said. The shield would be a good route. I would recommend staying away from taurus though... seem to never work and the "lifetime warranty" isn't really a lifetime warranty...

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i shot the lc9, didnt like it very much, not as bad a a s&w bodyguard, but still not very good. i like the m&p shield, and the beretta nano....between the two i would choose the nano. mag release is the only thing sticking out from the gun, other than that its really smooth, nice and slim, good weight, good balance.

apilcher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I'll 2nd a G19. It is my go to carry gun and general all around favorite - however there are times when toting it around just isn't an option. My alternative it an LCP - largely similar to the LC9.

There are plenty of single stack 9mm options on the market and the prices very widely - the best advice is to go to the gun shop and try as many out as you can for size. Always remember - even bigger guns can be hidden pretty well in almost every situation - as long as you have the right holster.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    If your on a budget, you can't beat a SCCY CPX2. I have over 600 rounds thru mine and it's been flawless. Comes with 2 mags(10 rounds) and a lifetime guarentee, for around 300 bucks.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I know I posted above, but I will say all else being equal, get a Glock 19... it's a GREAT all around gun. I thought the OP was for a slim carry gun (my choices would be Shield, or a Khar for a slim gun)
    A couple people bashed on the Taurus, in my experience they hold up pretty well. With friends that have owned multiple tauruses, the only problem I've seen is excessive wear in the long run (tens of thousand of rounds) -- they seem to not hold up as well as others. Anything shy of that, they seem to do great.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My best advice to you would be to try and find someone who owns a LC9 and see if they will let you shoot it sometime. If you really like it, buy one. If you don't, then continue your search for another gun. There really is no universal "best" in a firearm, especially in a handgun you will carry, because you have to find what works for your specific wants or needs. Hope that helps!

MMcarriesaSR9c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I will have to agree that the Beretta Nano is the way to go. Got one for my wife as a carry gun about a month ago and she loves it. I have a Ruger SR9c which is somewhat larger in size, but it is what I carry. For a pocket carry the Nano is a great choice.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I will have to agree that the Beretta Nano is the way to go. Got one for my wife as a carry gun about a month ago and she loves it. I have a Ruger SR9c which is somewhat larger in size, but it is what I carry. For a pocket carry the Nano is a great choice.

Does the lack of a slide release/lever bother you at all? I don't think I would like a gun I couldn't lock the slide open on. Well then again, most AK's you can't, except some of the WASR's that kind of lock open, kind of. If I have any FTF or FTE issues I always like to lock the slide open, drop the mag, and then inspect. Just my :twocents:

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    I was initially going to buy the LC9. I had fired one before. And, yes the trigger kinda sucks. But that's the nature of the beast on most compact DAO pistols. Otherwise I really liked the gun, and was intent on buying one. When I visited my LGS I asked to see one. I really wanted to buy it, but at the time $$ was kinda tight. The dealer then offered me a very gently used Taurus slim PT709 at a VERY reasonable price. And the trigger is SA/DA. So I bought it. So far I'm pleased with the Taurus. So I'd recommend the PT709 for a small carry gun. Though the Ruger LC9 is still a very good choice IMO.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Before my Sig days, I carried a Browning Hi Power, locked and corked. However, I do not recommend anyone to do so if they are not comfortable with it.

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    I had the LC9, but that long trigger pull was not for me. Currently have the Shield in 40 and in 9mm the Glock 26. The G26 has a lot holster options.

Top Bottom