• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My brother has a rototiller that he overfilled with oil a couple of years ago.
    He realized it right away ( smoked like a mf'er) , he drained the oil and refilled it.
    Fast forward to now, I now have it at my house. The pull cord is really hard to pull most the time and it will rip it out of your hands. Has done this since the oil incident.
    What causes this, and more importantly how to fix it

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm guessing sticky valves due to the oil overfill. Might need to take the head apart and clean it. It's really not that hard. Usually 4-6 bolts holding the head on. Buy a new head gasket and valve cover gasket, take the valve cover off, head off, and spray the hell out of it with carb cleaner. Should cost less than $50.

StatlRed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Indy Southsider--Johnson County
    Don't know exact arrangement for the motor in question, but you might check compression relief. Most small engines with recoil starter have a form of compression relief that permits easier rope pull which may have fouled up with oil overfill.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some small engines had an "external" compression relief. However, many had it built into the cam including, but not limited to- Briggs and Stratton. It lifts the intake valve when the engine is first spinning to relieve pressure. I would take off the flywheel and see if the key is partially sheered. That will cause the engine to be a bit out of time and the cam compression relief (Briggs called it "Easy-Spin") not to work.

The oil overfill could block the crankcase vent, but this sounds like a partially sheered key to me which may or may not be related to the overfill.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom