• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I see all these candidates calling for small government as they simultaneously sell their soul to become part of the government they so vehemently criticize. It got me thinking: Has there been any instance in our history (or that of another first-world country) where government has made itself smaller?

It seems to me that government is incapable of making itself smaller.

Anyone have an example of when a government went to a period of less employees, less taxes, less spending, less foreign intervention, lower government salaries, less regulation, more freedom, etc?

Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Government significantly expanded for World War I, and significantly shrank afterwords. To a much lesser extent, the same thing happened after World War II. During that war we were basically living under a social democracy, with government fundamentally in charge of nearly the whole of society and economy.

Some freedoms (mostly, but not necessarily all economic) have increased significantly in the postwar years, and some freedoms (mostly personal) have become more constrained.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I see all these candidates calling for small government as they simultaneously sell their soul to become part of the government they so vehemently criticize. It got me thinking: Has there been any instance in our history (or that of another first-world country) where government has made itself smaller?

It seems to me that government is incapable of making itself smaller.

Anyone have an example of when a government went to a period of less employees, less taxes, less spending, less foreign intervention, lower government salaries, less regulation, more freedom, etc?

You shouldn't be surprised. We have a fair number here who proclaim their anti-government stance yet are employed in government sector, or supplying the government sector or at state university jobs or on assistance. We had one prolific poster of that stripe a while back that proclaimed that he hated people taking government benefits, but in the next breath stated that his wife and kids, all of whom lived with him, collected unemployment, food stamps, WIC and were on Medicaid. He was habitually unemployed and spent all day posting. With people unable to connect what benefits them or what they can get with why government has grown so large, the progression is inevitable. People say they want a small government but act as if they want a large overarching government. We have met the enemy and he is us.

And the government wasn't halved in the 1861-65 period, it ballooned in a way not seen before that time. It shrunk some after the CW, but never returned to antebellum levels.

Top Bottom