• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mmccalip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I am a smaller guy (5'6") and currently own a Beretta 92. I would like to get something a bit smaller. However, i enjoyed the 1911 when i was in the military. Any advice?

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I also have pretty small hands, I shoot mainly glocks and M&Ps, The M&P fits my hand alot better than the glock

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    You know what they say about guys with small hands don't you????? :)::):

Sorry man - just couldn't resist that one. Anyway, my hands aren't the biggest either and I love my M&P .40. Give it a try.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Ruger Sp101 fits alot of hands very well. Same with the Kahrs and other single stacked semi-autos. The M & P fits smaller hands too, but would encourage you looking at the Kahrs for the smaller revovlers like the 101 or j frame smiths.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am a smaller guy (5'6") and currently own a Beretta 92. I would like to get something a bit smaller. However, i enjoyed the 1911 when i was in the military. Any advice?

Some good choices for people with small hands and/or short fingers:

1911s (especially with short triggers and thin grip panels installed)
    Kahr
    S&W M&P with the small backstrap installed
    S&W single stack 9mm guns (3913, 908, 39, 909)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny, I am about 5-6 and don't have the largest hands, but the Beretta 92FS is one of my favorite pistols. If you need something thinner, check the Sig P239. You might also consider the Beretta PX4 Storm as they come with 3 backstraps to help you fit the pistol to your hand.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Everyone always says thinner but it is the distance from the back of the grip to the trigger that has me coming up short. The M&P was what I found to work the best (in full size pistols) because of what sounds like the same issue you are having. I use the small backstrap like Rino said. If they come out with an extra small I would benefit from that. I LOVE the Beretta 92fs but I couldn't get my hands to fit it nearly as well as the M&P.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I have short, pudgy hands also. I currently carry a Kahr K40. I've also carried a Charter Arms Police Undercover with Pachmayer Compac grips, a SIG P239, a CZ 100, a Browning HiPower (with custom grips), and an Astra A75. I've also found the HK P30 and P2000, CZ 75 Compact, and Mini Firestorm pistols to fit my hand quite well.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Kahrs have gotten a few mentions; but you should stop by an LGS and check them out. The have a number of pistols and configurations to choose from. I bought the CW9 as my "perfect fit".

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    As many people already suggested, the Khar is one to give serious thought to. I have smaller hands and my carry gun is a Khar CW45.:yesway:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    First, welcome to INGO

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Top Bottom