• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I just got a used 26ft fishing boat to keep at my place in Ft Myers.
    All the boaters there keep a gun on their boats.
    Im looking for something with a SS barrel and SS internals.
    Searching the manufactures sites, nothing is mentioned about materials used other than barrels and slides.
    Any suggestions ???
    thanks in advance

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sig P226 MK25 is not small, but specifically designed for salt water. M11A1 also has phosphate coated internals and is a bit smaller.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I have the marine version mossberg 12guage. It's seen the Bahamas and Everglades many times. Check with the locals, I suspect you'll find most have shotguns on there boats. (The boats that go out to deep water) Knowing from experience what can and does happen, I would not venture out beyond sight sight of land without a pump gun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have the marine version mossberg 12guage. It's seen the Bahamas and Everglades many times. Check with the locals, I suspect you'll find most have shotguns on there boats. (The boats that go out to deep water) Knowing from experience what can and does happen, I would not venture out beyond sight sight of land without a pump gun.

Kraken? Mermaids? Mutineers? Pirates?

Being sarcastic but seriously kinda curious. What happens out on big water that requires a 12ga? That last one actually may be not so sarcastic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just looked up the Sig but $1,000 is too much for something to throw in a boat.

Actual salt water resistance is not something you'll find in a cheap gun.

I'd also recommend not throwing a gun on a boat and leaving it there, but carrying it to and from the boat on each outing, both for reasons of security and of maintenance.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Back when we had our 38 footer, I spent a lot of time on the boating forums. Those along the coastline seemed to recommend carrying a pistol, shotgun, and rifle on board if you were venturing long distances. If you are at sea, other boats simply do not approach you to say hello. Just doesn't happen. So if you are approached, odds are that something bad is going to happen. Ours started out on Lake Michigan and if I spent the night on the hook (at anchor), I set my proximity alarms on the radar for 200 yards. Only spent 1 summer there and the alarm never went off during the night. There was NEVER a day or night on the boat without a pistol and my 870. I never left them on the boat either. But I was a fresh water guy...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've looked this up in the past, and the Mossberg marine ended up being the answer. Not like there wouldn't be enough room on a boat for something larger than a handgun.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Kraken? Mermaids? Mutineers? Pirates?

Being sarcastic but seriously kinda curious. What happens out on big water that requires a 12ga? That last one actually may be not so sarcastic.
    Pirates , mutineers? Drug runners is my guess. Most here would be surprised at the activity that goes on under the cover of darkness off the South West coast of Florida. Only dummies use their own vehical to commit crimes. Sorry for the thread jack.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you go out of the states make sure that you can have a gun and if so what type, size, make, and caliber. Some places will throw away the key if you have a gun. Off the South staying U.S. a J-Frame .357, 1911 in .38 super. Savage .308 or .30-06 or pump shotgun. Get them in Stainless and have hard [FONT=&quot]chrome[/FONT] coated. If you can an AR-10 in .308 works good.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The fishing boat I was on in Miami had two ARs and two shotguns. The owner said that he knew of to many boats that had been stolen out from under the owners. He said it wasn't going to happen to him.

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Some years ago I read articles by two different writers who torture tested Glock pistols. On guy submersed one in the ocean by hiding it in a not well known reef. Left it for at least 2 weeks, maybe a month? Retrieved and disassembled it, found no external or internal damage, functioned fine. Reassembled it and left submerged again for an even longer time. Again, no damage and functioned fine.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Whatever you buy, just get a Pelican case to keep it in. They are waterproof, and should keep your gun salt-free, until you should ever need it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Glocks are not stainless steel, but their major components are more resistant to corrosion than most stainless alloys because of the nitrogen treatment they do to both harden and provide corrosion resistance.

Top Bottom