• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Illinois Supreme Court just ruled that storing guns in your console counts is a valid way to transport unloaded guns. Not sure if this applies for out-of-staters, but it is a step forward.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The Illinois Supreme Court just ruled that storing guns in your console counts is a valid way to transport unloaded guns. Not sure if this applies for out-of-staters, but it is a step forward.

I just posted on that on my LiveJournal page (coldservings.livejournal.com):

Illinois is one of only two States in the United States that does not make any provision for law abiding citizens other than law enforcement to carry concealed firearms. And, unfortunately, no such prospects look to be on the horizon either. However, there is a ray of hope in the form of the Illinois State Supreme Court:

Court OKs storing guns in car consoles - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

An Illinois Supreme Court decision that gun owners can carry weapons in consoles and other storage boxes built into their cars won’t make much difference to law enforcement officers, Sangamon County Sheriff Neil Williamson said Thursday.
    Illinois law lets people carry guns in their cars if they are unloaded and enclosed in a case or other container. The question was whether a compartment for items like CDs and sunglasses meets the legal definition of a “case” for carrying guns.
    In issuing its ruling Thursday, the Supreme Court overturned a 2003 appellate court decision that said a glove compartment is not a “case” under the law.

The cracks in "gun control" are getting larger.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is interesting. It may not lead much further, but it's always good to see even a hint of common sense kicking in. In many SUV, crossovers, etc. there is not 'out of sight' location to store a weapon other than in the glove compartment or console.

The ruling seems consistent with what I've read on how many other states interpret consoles.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Still have to keep gun unloaded with ammo stored separately.
    Still have to keep case locked.
    Still have to have FOID card.
    Still have no 2nd Amendment Right.

At least they did something like this instead of going the other way and saying you can't have a gun in your car, ever.

glockpatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    I spent all day in that state today, no protection "major uncomfortable". I personally do not like going to this state as it is. I sure hope our fellow 2nd amenders can get their laws changed. I know they have been trying for a long time, and it will be a long uphill battle.They are controlled by their fellow citizens from Chicago, Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, and east St. Louis which controls the elections.

Lets keep them in our Prayers! :patriot:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I'm actually taking off around midnight tonight through Illinois. I'm taking a Sig 229 & a bug. If I were going after this took effect I still wouldn't keep them in the glove box. In the event I get pulled over I'd rather not have them seen. Always a chance he'd ask if there were any in the car, but if they don't ask, they won't see it. Gonna have both guns in the same gun case, unloaded, case locked. Ammo in an ammo box in the backseat floorboard. Sucks I gotta leave home, drive 5.5 to 6 hours with the guns locked up till I get to Missouri (going due east through IL and part of IA, then straight south).

Top Bottom