• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all, I'm beginning my search for a small compensator to be added to a commander or champion size (4.0 or 4.25") and be the same overall size as a govt model (5.0")

Any recommendations.
    Looking for a project gun/occasional carry. I envision this in .45, but am open to 10mm, or 38super if u want to sell me on any of these (yes, I reload)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    sorry. I've only ever searched for the biggest comps. "small" and "effective" are working from opposing goals. similarly with .45 and "effective." just not enough pressure there. .45, small, and effective, not really going to see a whole lot of gain, imo. at least start w/ the .38 super. look up some IPSC loads.

personally, not a fan of comps/ports on carry pistols. I shot my .38super open gun from a retention position for the experience once. Once I gathered my teeth from among the brass on the ground, I decided that was enough...

-rvb

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    sorry. I've only ever searched for the biggest comps. "small" and "effective" are working from opposing goals. similarly with .45 and "effective." just not enough pressure there. .45, small, and effective, not really going to see a whole lot of gain, imo. at least start w/ the .38 super. look up some IPSC loads.

personally, not a fan of comps/ports on carry pistols. I shot my .38super open gun from a retention position for the experience once. Once I gathered my teeth from among the brass on the ground, I decided that was enough...

-rvb

Ha, good point.
    Thanks for the input.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have seen one instance of a single port "carry comp" on a Colt Officer's ACP. It was done by Dave Lauck of D&L Sports. I would agree, the .45 ACP does not have the pressure that a Super .38 or something along those lines produces. With that said, I have an Officer's ACP, and that little thing bucks a bit. So, in that limited situation, maybe a single port comp would work.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a carry comp commander AllenM built for me. The comp is the same profile as the slide. Front sight is dovetailed to the comp and the comp is attached to the barrel. It's a .45 and one of my favorite shooters. Very little muzzle rise and recoil is pretty much straight back into your hand. It's also crazy accurate for its size. He also built a 2011 in 10mm with a full profile comp. it's a cannon, but also a laser.
    Im sure Allen has pics floating around... I still haven't figured out the pic posting here or I would share.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 comped 1911’s. 1 ispretty close to docks and the other is an entire Clark barrel assembly the Clark is in me EDC Springer TRP. It shoots flat. I love it.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "All of the noise and none of the benefit"

I do not know if all of that is true, a gunsmith made that remark to me after a shooter shot his comped gun with standard 9mm loads at a steel challenge match. I do know the added noise part was very true when shooting under a shelter with a metal roof.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    EGW has a appropriate comp blank that should fit your needs. Will make for a soft shooting gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "All of the noise and none of the benefit"

I do not know if all of that is true, a gunsmith made that remark to me after a shooter shot his comped gun with standard 9mm loads at a steel challenge match. I do know the added noise part was very true when shooting under a shelter with a metal roof.

My comped pieces do not see much benefit with target loads. Put something with some steam in it and yeah.....you will notice.

Top Bottom