• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I live somewhere about a mile south of Pop Guns and of the mall... somewhere in between. Had a new gym build where a movie theater use to sit, businesses are open, haven't heard of many (any) shootings around Post and Washington street although fatal accidents are another story. I feel perfectly safe on the east side, but also take common sense precautions... like hide things in the trunk or don't park far away. Also this past winter I couldn't count how many cars were having trouble making it down the street, and how many people had their big trucks out helping pull them to the neighborhood or out of the neighborhood.

Just because the mall doesn't look the greatest of have the better shops doesn't mean the east side is what some of you are trying to make it out to be.

Also I use to live in an apartment at 30th and Post for roughly 2 years. Never had a problem, actually all I can remember are the good times where if one had car trouble, 10-15 people would be there with tools ready to help out.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    No offense sir, but you don't get out of there much do you? Last few times I've been in that area has been intimidating.

if that area is intimidating to you, I feel Sorry for you. I don't live out there. live in the irvington area. I go to the east side to shop, eye doctor, pet store etc. I've even (gasp) went unarmed and thought nothing of it.
    Denny knows where I live, nice quiet neighborhood, no real issues yet we've had to incidents of things getting stolen this summer alone. crime happens everywhere. don't invite it by leaving a bike on the back porch or fishing rods on the boat or things visible in your car. never had my window busted in a smash and grab because there's nothing there to take. but I did leave a bike out and fishing rods on the boat

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I live somewhere about a mile south of Pop Guns and of the mall... somewhere in between. Had a new gym build where a movie theater use to sit, businesses are open, haven't heard of many (any) shootings around Post and Washington street although fatal accidents are another story. I feel perfectly safe on the east side, but also take common sense precautions... like hide things in the trunk or don't park far away. Also this past winter I couldn't count how many cars were having trouble making it down the street, and how many people had their big trucks out helping pull them to the neighborhood or out of the neighborhood.

Just because the mall doesn't look the greatest of have the better shops doesn't mean the east side is what some of you are trying to make it out to be.

Also I use to live in an apartment at 30th and Post for roughly 2 years. Never had a problem, actually all I can remember are the good times where if one had car trouble, 10-15 people would be there with tools ready to help out.

Two thumbs up from a fellow eastsider. I am not originally from Indianapolis, but I came here from Stallinois after high school in 1974. I have lived on every side of Marion County proper, but have been on the ES now for about 21 yrs. We have our issues just like everyone else, and I REALLY miss the Dunhams that was in Eastgate, but it's really no worse than say the west side (bad people are everywhere and they can drive). And to MrsGungho. Those folks that haven't had Jockamos or a cold Black Acre Nit Wit brewsky don't know what they are missing. I love Irvington! When you don't take the proper precaution to protect you and yours bad things can happen, on any side of this great city. And that's all I have to say about that.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I live 1 mile near pops , on east 11th the only problem we see in our area are the scrap'ers and the occasional walker that knows every eye on that street is watching him, from house to house. Although my neighborhood is well maintained and safe there is the occasional problem like, slow questionable vehicles, night walkers, speeding cars on our street. All of us stay vigilant and watch each others property.
    I feel perfectly safe here. And i lived on all sides of town, with the exception of 465 area north.

Im still laughing about how the ingoer doesnt let his wife go to Meijer and Walmart. Lololol
    You dont go out much ey ?

Say does anyone wanna start an East Side crime watch thread?
    We can post, questionable trucks, cars, subjects, pass on any info from eastsiders, policemen and anyone else that could submit any info that could help East Siders be more aware of thier area?

Anyone?

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1. Continue to avoid Indy like I avoid a needle in the eye. Nothing there worth the risk as I have no idea where the good and bad sections are.
    You will know if you are entering or are in a bad area in general unless you're situational awareness is terrible :).

2. Do not leave anything, valuable or not, visible in a car anywhere—Indy or the Fort.
    Or anywhere else - even your driveway.

3. Do not leave a firearm in an unattended car. Bad idea.
    Sometimes you have no choice - but do make sure it's out of sight. One thing I try to do is make sure that nobody sees me putting it up... If I have to put it in the trunk - there's nothing stopping somebody from observing me doing so unless I'm creative.

4. There is a major difference between "black person" and "thug." (I am using vocabulary used in the thread.)
    Absolutely true and there are white 'thugs', Mexican 'thugs', etc... There are crappy people of all races, colors, and creeds just as there are great people of all races, colors, and creeds.

After growing up in a poor neighborhood in the Fort, attending Fort Wayne Central High School (60% Black when I attended), and working in Jamaica for six years I have learned the difference between these two categories. Not everyone has sufficient experience to do this, so broad generalizations are often inappropriately used. Lack of understanding/experience leads to fear and over reaction.
    Prejudice is what I would call most of it - basing their opinions of a race on what they see on TV or what tiny amount of interactions they may have had with an unsavory individual.

5. Indy really is no different than the Fort. I just know where the "bad" areas are in the Fort because I grew up here, and have lived here for many of my adult years—apart from time spent in Asia and Jamaica.
    Most places have bad areas - usually the lower income areas.

• Fill up the gas tank at Gas City.
    Or simply don't stop at a gas station that gives you the 'heebie jeebies.' I was once rolling through the Indy area on my motorcycle and forgot to get gas first... I did end up stopping at a gas station that made me a bit uncomfortable - I wasn't even carrying at the time [no license at the time]... Let's just say I pumped gas as quickly as I could and got the heck out of there.

Set the cruise control at 60.
    55 is probably 'better' if you don't want a speeding ticket but then, at that speed, you're a danger to yourself and others because everybody else is doing 65+.

Do not stop until you see Columbus, or at least Greenwood, in the rearview mirror.
    Wow - Columbus? I didn't realize Greenwood, New Whiteland, Whiteland, Franklin, Edinburgh, and Taylorsville were all considered unsavory locations...

Pray without ceasing.
    If you're religious I suppose you could do this anytime - driving or not.

p.s. I realize some of what you said was sarcasm or was said in jest - it may appear as though I'm responding extremely seriously - I'll let you judge where the purple should or should not be.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Yes there were several cars in the parking lot. I parked approx. 150-200 feet from the front door. Maybe 150 feet away from Washington St. Police officer told me it is a very common problem in that area EVERY DAY. Lesson learned. I will think twice before going anywhere around Washington Square in the future.

You may as well not go anywhere then, not just Washington Square. Vehicle break-ins happen all over the metro area, and eventually you will hear of a rash of them in small towns across the state. One can't leave anything but trash inside your vehicle. No visible cell phone charge cords, no visible GPS cords, not suction cup marks on the windshield, no head rest TVs for the kids, no cases or bags of any kind, no fancy radio system....none of this can be seen, or one will likely find their vehicle broken into at some point in the future.

Oh for crying out loud, that is not a bad area. I grew up out here, I live a few minutes from Washington Sq, and I patrol out here. It's not that bad. Washington St is NOT a crap hole...38th St is. What is unsafe about Meijer and WalMart? My wife food shops there quite often. Most the businesses are NOT closed, there are quite a few but I noticed when traveling through the surrounding counties that they too have a buttload of closed businesses as well...crappy economy.

Come on Denny347, tell us about your daily gun battles involving hundreds of rounds during your typical workday. We know the truth! :laugh: Folks, there were more muggings/robberies in Nora store parking lots over the last ten years than on the east side from what I remember. There has been some parking lot muggings, but no where near what I've read about happening on the far north side. Fishers is having all kinds of issues as well. People need to realize that most criminals belong to the lower income population group. These people are spread out all over the city now due to various HUD housing initiatives. So crime is going to go up all over the city, and even suburban counties, which is has. Back in the early 2000s, Noblesville had one apartment complex that was low income Section 8, about four or five years ago I found out that another four or five complexes started having partial Section 8 rentals. When the economy sucks, this is what you get. When heroin becomes more and more popular, this is what you get. When criminals with no licenses don't care about getting caught driving, this is what you get. Criminals are now mobile, because there is no real punishment if they are caught driving w/o a license or driving while suspended.

The downside to E. Washington St. is blight and abandonment. The powers that be are so hell bent on building new, they are basically creating vast wastelands in areas of the city. There are too many vacant older strip malls that really need to be torn down on the east side, but that process seems to be slow and steady.

Though I was a Hancock County kid, I pretty much grew up on the east side. Lots of relatives on the east side. Some have had issues with home break-ins, but guess what, people in my suburban bliss wonderland had the exact same thing happen. In fact, a person kicked in my parents door when I lived at home while I was asleep. I was told back then about burglaries in Hancock County, some as far away as east of State Road 9.

Are you saying that there have not been multiple reported smash-and-grabs in the area?

There likely have been. There have also been constant, though maybe not daily, vehicle break-ins at all the college campuses in this state....so don't send your kid away to college. Have you read the Indiana Daily Student? Sexual assaults being reported on and off campus, many over the summer likely not even involving students, on a weekly basis. Who here is going to avoid Bloomington because of there rampant crime problem? Years ago it seemed Bloomington wasn't too bad, but the last few years the PD down there has been involved in many shootings, there have been killings, assaults on popular walking trails.....Bloomington sounds as bad as E. Washington St.!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thieves are everywhere and stupid brave or just plain do not care anymore. LEO can not be everywhere and most citizens (I estimate 90%) will do little to nothing even if they see it happen. Might do the 911 thing to feel better but stop them....no way. Not get involved.

Thieves know this and it allows them free run on your stuff.

Hide the valuables. If there is no reason to break your window they will roll on to the next vehicle that has a phone/laptop/camera just sitting on the seat screaming "Steal me please"....a gun is just Jackpot for them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Even the strip malls on E. Washington aren't vacant anymore. They maybe flea markets and small non chain stores, but vacant they don't appear to be. I will give you they aren't what they were 20 years ago though.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    While attending our Granddaughters Birthday party in Lafayatte yesterday Sat. 9-14 my wifes purse and all of her credit cards and info was stolen when someone smashed the window breaking it and stealing her purse.
    She worked on contacting the police via her cell phone as I was contacting the credit card co. shutting the cards down on my cell ph.
    The responding officer ( very helpful and polite even apologetic ) informed us that we had been the 6 th smash and grab in the area in a short span of time ( a few hrs ).
    Wife then checked our card usage and to date the low lifes who took everything got nothing except the cash in her wallet. But it will take a great deal of time and some cash to get new cards and drivers license.
    I hate what society has become with no thought or care of each other anymore.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I live in the Fort. I just read through this entire thread taking note of the discussion of the good and bad sections of Indy. I formed several conclusions:

1. Continue to avoid Indy like I avoid a needle in the eye. Nothing there worth the risk as I have no idea where the good and bad sections are.

2. Do not leave anything, valuable or not, visible in a car anywhere—Indy or the Fort.

3. Do not leave a firearm in an unattended car. Bad idea.

4. There is a major difference between "black person" and "thug." (I am using vocabulary used in the thread.) After growing up in a poor neighborhood in the Fort, attending Fort Wayne Central High School (60% Black when I attended), and working in Jamaica for six years I have learned the difference between these two categories. Not everyone has sufficient experience to do this, so broad generalizations are often inappropriately used. Lack of understanding/experience leads to fear and over reaction.

5. Indy really is no different than the Fort. I just know where the "bad" areas are in the Fort because I grew up here, and have lived here for many of my adult years—apart from time spent in Asia and Jamaica.

6. When forced to drive through Indy:
    • Fill up the gas tank at Gas City.
    • Set the cruise control at 60.
    • Do not stop until you see Columbus, or at least Greenwood, in the rearview mirror.
    • Pray without ceasing.

:D :ingo:

This is the worst, uninformed description of Indy. SMFH.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom