• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lightnerz23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    I was just recently given a Smith and Wesson .357 magnum that was purchased in 1951. The serial number is 82XXX.

I don't currently have it in my possession and I'm trying to figure out if anyone might know what model number it is. It hasn't been shot in probably 30 years. It's been taken care of but is there anything I should look for before I take it out and play?
    2011-11-06_17-10-47_450.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Open the cylinder, look on the frame under the crane, the model number should be there.

BTW nice revolver and a VERY nice gift.

Lightnerz23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome. I agree that it's a VERY nice gift... I think I'll probably hold onto it for a bit.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    If I remember correctly, S&W didn't assign model numbers until 1957. The first K-frame .357 magnum wasn't produced until 1955. If it was purchased in 1951, then it has to be an N-frame .357 magnum which later was designated the M-27.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I was just recently given a Smith and Wesson .357 magnum that was purchased in 1951. The serial number is 82XXX.

I don't currently have it in my possession and I'm trying to figure out if anyone might know what model number it is. It hasn't been shot in probably 30 years. It's been taken care of but is there anything I should look for before I take it out and play?
    2011-11-06_17-10-47_450.jpg
    It's a Smith & Wesson Mod 27 [STRIKE]"4 screw", [/STRIKE] "5 screw" 3 1/2" barrel,
    VERY desirable weapon!!
    Book value is around $550.00 but a S&W collector would likely pay a premium for a specimen in excellent condition. :)
    Congratulations on the acquisition!

Last edited:

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    ;) Yes, you've got yourself a collectors item. Look up S&W model 27 on wikipedia and check it out. You can also get on the Smith and Wesson Firearms web page and contact them for info. Lots of history for the Model 27 Smith.

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It's a Smith & Wesson Mod 27 "4 screw", 3 1/2" barrel,
    VERY desirable weapon!!
    Book value is around $550.00 but a S&W collector would likely pay a premium for a specimen in excellent condition. :)

I would agree.... I think... I can't really see the screw in front of the trigger guard. Is there one? I've got the long barrel version of the 27.

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I would agree.... I think... I can't really see the screw in front of the trigger guard. Is there one? I've got the long barrel version of the 27.
    Yup! I'd bet on it.
    The trigger guard screw went away after the top side plate screw bit the dust in 1955.
    That would make it a "five screw" model.
    (My memory must be getting foggy.) :(

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It's a Smith & Wesson Mod 27 [STRIKE]"4 screw", [/STRIKE] "5 screw" 3 1/2" barrel,
    VERY desirable weapon!!

And that is the reason I don't like the "Blue Book". Someone could rely on the Blue Book to sell their gun and see it in a display case later for 2 or 3 times the amount that they just sold it for. I know I would never sell my model 27 for that amount. (And I know you are not suggesting that is the "true value")

Top Bottom