Jet fuel cannot melt dumpsters.

18372778.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The brand name Smith & Wesson will remain for its firearms products, operating as Smith & Wesson Corp., a subsidiary of American Outdoor Brands Corp..

Follow the money.

Probably makes it easier to get investors money. Remember some socially responsible investment groups eschew tobacco companies and other evil entities, ignoring their underlying responsibility to get the best investment return. So you are going through a list of companies to invest a few million dollars of Snowflake College's endowment fund, what do you buy?

Smith & Wesson = Guns = death from inanimate objects = Think of the children.

American Outdoor Brands = Sunshine, Nature and Hippies = Unicorns and methane free rainbow farts.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK so when I visit the Colonel for some finger licking good, I hardly notice he is owned by "YUM" Foods...............it's kinda like that.
    Corporate one name WAL-MART, also owns SAMS CLUB.
    I wonder if "YUM" stands for Y our U gly M omma ?

Nah, some Chinese conglomerate probably a guy named YUM owns it?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK so when I visit the Colonel for some finger licking good, I hardly notice he is owned by "YUM" Foods...............it's kinda like that.
    Corporate one name WAL-MART, also owns SAMS CLUB.
    I wonder if "YUM" stands for Y our U gly M omma ?

Nah, some Chinese conglomerate probably a guy named YUM owns it?

The history:
    KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell were all a subsidiary of Pepsico back in the day. Then in the late 90s they were spun off into Tricon Global, with the ticker symbol YUM. Later they realized that Tricon Global isn't exactly appealing, so they rebranded to use the popular ticker as their name.

I'm going from memory as I owned shares in the late nineties and through mid 2000's. I haven't look at them since then.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Follow the money.

Probably makes it easier to get investors money. Remember some socially responsible investment groups eschew tobacco companies and other evil entities, ignoring their underlying responsibility to get the best investment return. So you are going through a list of companies to invest a few million dollars of Snowflake College's endowment fund, what do you buy?

American Outdoor Brands = Sunshine, Nature and Hippies = Unicorns and methane free rainbow farts.

Guns appeal to one group and S&W appeals to a group within that group. When you want to sell a lantern, you don't want to target people who like guns and have a positive association with S&W and want a lantern. You want to target everyone who wants a lantern. It's significantly easier to build a brand in one niche than in every niche. Coleman for camping, for example.

Car manufacturers are a great example of this. Why doesn't Ford sell everything as Ford? Why have Mercury and Lincoln? Why does GM sell as Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, etc.? Because it's way easier to differentiate the product and market them a certain way. Lincoln is marketed as luxury. It's tough to simultaneously market is as value and workman. Different brands under the umbrella are pitched in different ways based on the target demographic, not just "hippy or not hippy" but age, income, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Follow the money.

So you think an investment firm just buys shares based on the name without looking at what the company does?

I think it's more likely that they can change the name of their crappy knives and prevent brand damage to S&W.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So you think an investment firm just buys shares based on the name without looking at what the company does?

The geeks at the investment firm better be doing their research and know what the underlying product is. Those same geeks should also be aware that their number 1 gun salesman the last eight years has given his one month notice and won't be on the job after January. Instead it is the faculty at Snowflake College giving a No No list of "Bad Companies" they don't want their pure endowment money invested in that may not dig deep enough to find out that American Outdoor Brands is really an evil gun company that wants to kill children.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The geeks at the investment firm better be doing their research and know what the underlying product is. Those same geeks should also be aware that their number 1 gun salesman the last eight years has given his one month notice and won't be on the job after January. Instead it is the faculty at Snowflake College giving a No No list of "Bad Companies" they don't want their pure endowment money invested in that may not dig deep enough to find out that American Outdoor Brands is really an evil gun company that wants to kill children.

I'm guessing you don't do a lot of stock picking.

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Not an unusual practice in the business world. Changing names and organizational structures is common way of isolating debts and liabilities.

Top Bottom