Smith and Wesson shield plus barrel peen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Hello,

I have about 2500rds through my shield plus and about 300 rds through my backup shield plus and noticed both barrels look the same regardless of round count. They both show barrel peen which I have shared with smith and Wesson and they told me it is normal for the shield plus. Anyone else see this with their shield plus??

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
      image1.jpeg
      489.7 KB · Views: 65
    • image0.jpeg
      image0.jpeg
      286.1 KB · Views: 65
    • image2.jpeg
      image2.jpeg
      452.4 KB · Views: 65

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    It’s been a really great carry gun, the size to capacity, the shootability of it and never rust no matter how much sweat gets on it.

I thought about getting a 43x mos for longevity since I trust glock and have shot tons of glocks. Own quite a few as well.

I love the p365 series and would gladly go back to Sig if Sig didn’t make them lol. Their lackadaisical attitude, rusting issues, and general safety attitude and multiple parts failure steer me away which is sad. I own two xmacro comps and they are the perfect EDC if I didn’t have to worry they would work when I need it to or not work when I don’t want it to.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Looked at my Shield Plus and didn't really see anything resembling the condition shown in your photos. Looked at my 1st gen Shield as well that has probably been fired several hundred times and looks pretty clean to me.

I contacted Smith about my Shield Plus not being able to zero 2 separate red dots that worked fine on 3 other pistols and they told me to contact the sight manufacturers. Absurd. They lost me as a future buyer of their new pistols.

I don't blame you for eyeing a G43X MOS with the experience you have with them. I have one as well as a P365X. I have actually had great luck with the Sig and shoot it better than the G43X MOS. And either of them will allow a red dot sight to be zeroed to the point of bullet impact.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    First 2 pictures are my shield plus and the second two are my shield 2.0. There is a very small amount of peening but not much. What ammo do you normally shoot through it?

IMG_20230830_175825.jpg IMG_20230830_175842.jpg IMG_20230830_180012.jpg IMG_20230830_180032.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    The picture being larger makes it look worse than it really is , I can run my fingernail down it and not really feel anything. I'll take another pic in natural lighting tomorrow along with the barrel from my original Shield.

nleachma

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2023
    Marion County
    Hello,

I have about 2500rds through my shield plus and about 300 rds through my backup shield plus and noticed both barrels look the same regardless of round count. They both show barrel peen which I have shared with smith and Wesson and they told me it is normal for the shield plus. Anyone else see this with their shield plus??
    I edc the 9c, shield’s predecessor, and i can *barely* see a bit of a burr starting to form, but not as bad as yours. this guns probably seen 1000+ rounds and never jammed once. SW makes great guns, unfortunately that comes at the cost of awful customer service. I know your struggle with that much.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Here are a few comparing my Shield Plus to my 1st gen Shield. 1st pic Shield Plus on left , gen 1 Shield on right. 2nd pic Shield Plus , 3rd gen 1 Shield. Despite being fired many more times the gen 1 barrel shows less wear. The machined surface is much smoother as well.

11 2023 shield plus 1a.jpg 11 2023 shield plus 2 a.jpg 11 2023 shield 1st gen 2 a.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Maybe something slightly out of spec?
    Did you contact S&W? I remember the Ruger American had IIRC oversized barrel but it didn't hurt much until around the 10k mark. Then it started to crack the slide is what they said. I had around 2k on mine when the recall came out. So they did free barrel replacements with new stainless steel barrels.
    Might want to let them know just in case it may damage more than the barrel like in the case of the Ruger American 9mm.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Maybe something slightly out of spec?
    Did you contact S&W? I remember the Ruger American had IIRC oversized barrel but it didn't hurt much until around the 10k mark. Then it started to crack the slide is what they said. I had around 2k on mine when the recall came out. So they did free barrel replacements with new stainless steel barrels.
    Might want to let them know just in case it may damage more than the barrel like in the case of the Ruger American 9mm.
    The very first post states I shared it with smith and Wesson but they said it’s normal for shield plus. I have two shield plus pistols that show this. One with 300 rds and one with 2000-2500 rds.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The very first post states I shared it with smith and Wesson but they said it’s normal for shield plus. I have two shield plus pistols that show this. One with 300 rds and one with 2000-2500 rds.
    My bad I missed that on first read through. I skimmed over and jumped to pictures.

If they think it's okay shoot it. If something breaks they'll fix it.

Top Bottom