• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Depends. What are you wanting it for? As in, purpose? Self-defense, dispatching critters in traps, what?

Most small caliber, cheap handguns are used for that around here.

Since you asked what we think, well, I think it's very marginal for self-defense. For dispatching critters in traps, pretty much anything through the head works -- and the smaller the better due to pelt damage.

The .380 best serves in a deep concealment backup gun role any longer, since the 9mm is now available in packages the size and weight that the .380 used to occupy.

For a primary weapon, I would not carry anything under .38spl +P, using either LSWCHP 158gn +P or Gold Dot's short barrel loading.

I prefer the .45acp in a primary weapon, preferably the 1911. A .38spl or 9mm Mak (or heck, even another 1911 -- maybe Commander or Officer's size) should take the backup role. The .380 should occupy the last ditch third gun.

In reality, I usually carry a 1911 with spare magazine and a .380 as a backup.

Josh

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Eh, I don't think it's a bad pistol. I like the revolver better but, I also think that they do no justice to the original bodyguards and am a little disappointed in Smith and Wesson's lack of creativity to come up with a new name for a new line of firearms.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Shot one the other day. Meh... Nothing over any other .380 out there. For the same price, you could get a Glock 19/26 (or similarly sized weapon) and have a more potent package. Not saying .380 is no good (it's great, what other reason for Europe using it for military and police for a generation), its just the Smith isn't wonderous. As stated before, it's uninnovative. They integrated a laser on a cheap feeling .380 and market it as the latest thing. Lasers suck and there are cheaper, better feeling .380s.

Anyone think the Smith integrated laser is going to be a headache for users later on? Look at the old LaserAim guns they used to make. Great guns, but the lasers were garbage, broke frequently and in general, blech for the cost. They did make a factory .400 Corbon gun though... :D

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I looked at a S&W .380 Body Guard at PSS. I was impressed with how small and narrow it was, and how easy it would be to conceal. But, it really didn't fit my hand it was so small. I think it depends on what you want. Not many guns are easier to conceal than this one with the ability of this one. I simply don't have a need to conceal one like this.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not a bad shooter overall. A lot of felt recoil, do to the small size. In my opinion it would make a good back up gun, I would not want it as my primary SD gun though.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Eh, I don't think it's a bad pistol. I like the revolver better but, I also think that they do no justice to the original bodyguards and am a little disappointed in Smith and Wesson's lack of creativity to come up with a new name for a new line of firearms.

Ditto...:yesway:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I HAD the BG .380. Notice I said HAD. I fired 25 rounds thru it and the trigger would not reset. Sent it back to S&W, got it back, trigger STILL would not reset. Finally after working 50+ rounds thru it the trigger would reset MOST of the time. So much for S&W service. Took it back to the LGS I bought it at and traded it for a Ruger MkIII. Ended up getting a PF9 to replace the BG .380.

All that said, when it did function correctly it was a nice shooting pistol IMO. It fit my hand MUCH better than the LCP which I never felt I had a good grip on. I really liked the BG .380 but the problems I had and the many others were just too much for me. I haven't kept up on it but I assume S&W has ironed out all the problems by now.:dunno:

As far as the .380 being too whimpy for PD, THAT one I'll NEVER understand. I've seen what some of the HP .380's can do to "stuff". Don't know about others, but I would NOT want to be hit with a .380 HP, let alone several.:n00b::twocents:

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Cheapest I have heard is $380 otd, but you may be able to beat that. I have owned 3 of them and currently own 1 (AEH). Do some research, there are a bunch of mixed reviews on this gun. I really like the features of the gun, but on the other hand, when you cram a bunch of features into a package that small, problems are going to pop up. Getting gun and laser for $399 retail is hard to beat. First one I had had FTF problems. Could have been the ammo, but it worked in my LCP. If S&W ever gets the bugs worked out, it could be an excellent gun.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    My wife just got me one for Christmas. I got her an LCP at the same time. We shot about 100 rounds through each. FWIW we both preferred shooting the BG over the LCP... I think I saw it in a Gander Mtn ad for 380...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I HAD the BG .380. Notice I said HAD. I fired 25 rounds thru it and the trigger would not reset. Sent it back to S&W, got it back, trigger STILL would not reset. Finally after working 50+ rounds thru it the trigger would reset MOST of the time. So much for S&W service. Took it back to the LGS I bought it at and traded it for a Ruger MkIII. Ended up getting a PF9 to replace the BG .380.

All that said, when it did function correctly it was a nice shooting pistol IMO. It fit my hand MUCH better than the LCP which I never felt I had a good grip on. I really liked the BG .380 but the problems I had and the many others were just too much for me. I haven't kept up on it but I assume S&W has ironed out all the problems by now.:dunno:

As far as the .380 being too whimpy for PD, THAT one I'll NEVER understand. I've seen what some of the HP .380's can do to "stuff". Don't know about others, but I would NOT want to be hit with a .380 HP, let alone several.:n00b::twocents:

I would not want to get hit with a .380 either. However, with the amount of felt recoil, I personally would not want it as a primary SD sidearm. In that case, I would rather have a .38 snub. For me they are more controllable, and allow for quicker follow up shots. That's just my personal opinion.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    do yourself a favor and check out the Sig Sauer P238 if you are looking at 380s in that price range. I absolutely LOVE mine.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A BODYGUARD has a humpback and a hammer! What was S&W thinking!

and THIS is a S&W "Military & Police" ;)

1287754823.jpg

Top Bottom