• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking for a 45LC revolver and was looking at the versatility of the S&W460V and my google-fu turned up something that gave me hesitation. I thought I'd share it with the community and gather opinions on the likelyhood of this happening or first hand experience with the firearm.

The following website sites extreme blast coming from the cylinder barrel gap which has (by their opinion) caused sever injury.
    From: Smith & Wesson 460 XVR revolver | Gibson & Keith, PLLC

[h=1]"Smith & Wesson 460 XVR revolver[/h] The legal staff of Gibson & Keith, PLLC, is soliciting information as to persons injured by the barrel-cylinder gap blast of the Smith & Wesson 460 XVR revolver. Below is a high-speed photograph of the 460 being fired, and which graphically shows the power of the B-C gap blast of the 460 which has been stated to be about double the B-C gap blast of high powered revolvers like the 357 and 44 magnum revolvers.
    gun.jpg
    The power of this B-C gap blast has actually amputated parts of hands of shooters who have advanced their free hand up under the trigger guard to support and steady this relatively heavy (approx. 6 lbs.) weight of this gun.
    100_0106.jpg
    Information is also being solicited as to persons injured by the B-C gap blast of similarly powered revolvers manufactured by other gun makers."

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have a 2-1/2" SW460......it most definitely shoots a fireball. No issues so far with anyone getting hurt.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Considering that one can be "cut" by the gasses of mere .357 Mag...

And that danger zone of/from revolvers has been known since revolvers were invented...

Seems to me that it's just lawyers looking to make money off of folks' ignorance of how revolvers work and should be handled.

Go ahead and buy a .460 if you want. If you handle it correctly, you'll be A-OK.

Also, don't discount a revolver chambered in the meek .454 Casull. That ain't nothin' to sneeze at, for sure.

-J-

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    In my opinion there is no reason to buy a 454 when you can buy a 460 and shoot 454 out of it!!
    Buy a 460 and you can shoot 460, 454, 45lc, and 45schofield.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As with most things in life, follow the ways of Hickok45, and never look back.

[video=youtube;VFBAcz16GvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU[/video]

...a personal injury firm soliciting clients.....go figure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In my opinion there is no reason to buy a 454 when you can buy a 460 and shoot 454 out of it!!
    Buy a 460 and you can shoot 460, 454, 45lc, and 45schofield.

Unless you don't want a S&W platform...

I do generally agree. If *I* were in the market, I'd for sure rather have a .460 for the flexibility, but "only" .454 on the top end wouldn't bother me.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My brother has both a 460 and a 500 - I've shot both quite a bit. The discharge is enough to blow paint off the shooting lane walls and make everyone else on the line step back and say 'WTF!!!'. No question you need to keep your body parts behind the front of the cylinder, but I've never had any issues with either of them.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    And I bet if you hold your hand over the end of the barrel something painful will happen aswell.

just love the walmart generation, where nothing is ever their fault.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Anyone stupid enough to extend their weak hand beyond the cylinder gap of a hand cannon deserves what they get.

Hopefully the judge and/or jury realizes that of the billions of revolver rounds fired only idiots who've put body parts where gas escapes the cylinder get hurt.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What is your hand doing anywhere near the front of the cylinder? Those rounds are a freakin mile long. :rolleyes:

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I owed an 8.5 inch barreled 460XVR. Never had a problem with the blast. It was a heavy gun and I guess people not used to the weight or shooting revolvers could have a tendency to want to slide their hand up the frame. Stupidity should be painful. I shot mine mostly from rests. It was kitten with 45 colt, not as accurate as I had hoped but it was fun. I originally bought it because it could shoot 45 colt, 454 ad 460, I shoot a lot of 45 colt so it made sense at the time but the novelty wore off pretty quick for me.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would seriously look at what you are expecting to with said revolver. If the .460 is the only way you will get what you are looking for in a revolver, then go for it. If the .454 will e overkill for anything you anticipate using it for, go with the .454. It will open more options, and give better accuracy with .45 colt loads in a 454, as the bullet has less to travel before hitting the barrel. Something else I would recommend, try to get your hands on a .460 before buying, and test drive it with full house loads. More than once have I ran across a used .460 or 500 with a box of ammo, -1 round, and the owner or gun store clerk saying that it was just too much gun for them. A hot .454 is going to be pretty healthy, and likely more than capable for most handgun hunting that many would ever encounter.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the responsible being held liable for the fool's errand of trying to protect the stupid from themselves.

Top Bottom