• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i have been casually looking for a 9mm revolver (no, this should not be construed as a WTB ad :) )

a buddy of mine called me about a lead he has on a stainless S&W 940

i punched up auctionarms and gunbroker to see what they were selling for but neither had any listed this aftenoon (i am not a member there so i cannot search completed auctions)

anyone here have/ever had one of these? any general input you can offer on this model, or what type money they might go for?

my friend is a pretty avid S&W collector. he thought it would likely be a $400-500 gun, but he obviously needed to see it first.

thanks in advance.

take care.

p.s. - i did try a search here before posting, the search returned 12+ pages of posts, none of which i could find anything relating to the 940. sorry if i overlooked a previous thread. thanks

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    Unless you get lucky I think you're looking at $550, at least. Probably more. 9mm revolvers like Smith and Ruger are out of production, and highly sought after. Having had a 940 I can tell you they have their own idiosyncrasies, the main one being ejection of spent cases. But you're buying a fine gun w/o an IGL that's better than what they make today.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    There are two 940s on Gunbroker right now! The same bidder is at $550 on both guns, one with five days left and the other with six. With shipping and fees, these will be up around $600 or more depending if any one else bids.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I used to own a Charter Arms Bit Bull 9mm revolver It used the 9mm rimmed cartridge. Great concept but they only fired every so often. Traded it. Sounds like your making the correct decisions but don't fall for one of these. I don't think they even make that ammo anymore.

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    I've got a 640 Smith in .38 special. It's rated +P+. (most are +P) These can be had for $450-$500, sometimes less. Most people are looking for the later longer barrel 640 in .357. I believe you will pay a premium price for a 940. Unless you're dead set on a 940, you should look at the 640. I understand the urge to have a specific revolver though, if that's the case. I recently bought a Colt SF-VI with a bobbed hammer. I paid $100 too much because I had to have it.

Top Bottom