• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a S&W Shield .40 and the take up is awfully long. I love the gun other than that. Are there any aftermarket triggers out there that have a much shorter take up?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd have to measure it, but I really like my Apex set up on mine. But being a striker fired pistol, it still has a fair amount of take up.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I tell anybody who wants a shield to spend the 80 bucks more and buy the shield pro, it comes with the fiber optic sights, ported bbl and trigger job, and I assume its a apex parts kit.

the trigger is 10 times better than the factory shield trigger, plus you don't have to install it!
    https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191855

the safety plunger is held in place by the rear sight, so to install it you have to remove the sight, and when I changed the sight to a night sight on my 9mm shield it sounded like I cracked the slide,it was in that tight so if you are thinking about installing night sights, do it at the same time!

also be careful, there's a black plastic disk between the rear sight and the safety plunger spring, don't loose it!

if you hadn't bought the gun yet, I'd recommend buying the shield pro!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I tell anybody who wants a shield to spend the 80 bucks more and buy the shield pro, it comes with the fiber optic sights, ported bbl and trigger job, and I assume its a apex parts kit.

the trigger is 10 times better than the factory shield trigger, plus you don't have to install it!
    https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191855

the safety plunger is held in place by the rear sight, so to install it you have to remove the sight, and when I changed the sight to a night sight on my 9mm shield it sounded like I cracked the slide,it was in that tight so if you are thinking about installing night sights, do it at the same time!

also be careful, there's a black plastic disk between the rear sight and the safety plunger spring, don't loose it!

if you hadn't bought the gun yet, I'd recommend buying the shield pro!

+1

I could live without the ported barrel (not that it's a bad thing, it's just my personal preference) but the performance model's trigger and sights are soo much better than the standard. Worth the extra $ imo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did you get the whole Apex kit with the trigger and everything? Or just the kit?

I did the whole Apex kit. I originally just ordered the sear kit, but when I got it, I was surprised to see they included the trigger kit also. I am pretty sure they did not mean to do that.

It is hard for me to speak to how much better the trigger set up is as I changed it out almost immediately.

And it is good advice from Shooter to install new sights at the same time as the other work if you are thinking about different sights. I put a set of Ameriglo CAP sights on mine.

My rear sight was tight too!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    And it is good advice from Shooter to install new sights at the same time as the other work if you are thinking about different sights. I put a set of Ameriglo CAP sights on mine.

!

tru glo tfo's on mine

the duty kit (I assume that's what you ordered) has a sear and springs 93.00

the full kit with the trigger is 160.00

the shield pro comes with a spring kit (I assume its a apex kit but I don't know for sure) and it has the standard shield trigger (not the upgraded apex trigger)

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    tru glo tfo's on mine

the shield pro comes with a spring kit (I assume its a apex kit but I don't know for sure) and it has the standard shield trigger (not the upgraded apex trigger)

If I do it I will be doing the trigger also, I like the flat trigger. I just have to see if that will actually help with the take up or if its just a nicer trigger. The pull doesn’t bother me at all, its just the take up is sooo long.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    tru glo tfo's on mine

Yes, that is what I ordered. But I also got the aluminum trigger and springs with it. I won't say what my total price paid was but I did get it from Amazon.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    The take up was better? Or the trigger pull? Just curious bc the only real issue I have is the length of the take up.

I didn't shoot it much without it and it's been a while now since I did it. I did it for the reset more than anything.

Top Bottom