smoke/heat damaged guns - Where to take them for repair and insurance estimates?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    A very good friend of mine just had a house fire. The fire started in his man cave where his guns were stored in a locked metal safe. The fire got put out quickly, but that room of the house is destroyed. Fortunately the family and dogs are all fine. Unfortunately the safe was just metal and not fireproof.

The guns are damaged, but appear functional (except the Glock that up against the wall, it's toast) but have finish and stock damage. He wiped them down with some WD-40 to get rid of moisture and soot. They are currently wrapped in plastic trash bags and stored in my safe since he is staying at a hotel for the next few months while the house is repaired.

Where would be a good place to take them that could refinish, repair etc., and give a good insurance estimate? I think they will all need to be completely torn down and inspected. They also reak of house fire. Some of the less expensive guns may just be written off.

Any suggestions?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Tagged for interest.
    I hope i his insurance covers firearms (some specifically don't ) and that they work with him.

I know that our renters insurance only cover up to something like $1000 in guns (lame sauce) so they tried to push a separate policy for guns. (I assume he has home owner's, and we have renter --> comparing apples and oranges)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    unless he has a insurance writer on his guns, i believe hes out the money, i have talked to my agent about insurance on my guns, he wanted a written appraisal on all of them, before he will write a policy, ive takled to a different agent (who's very gun friendly, and a huge nra supporter) and he sell's policys just to cover guns(the kind where you dont have to pay for appraisals, or give them your serial numbers, till after they are damaged or stolen)

now for you! get them out of the trash bags! get the wd40 off of them! the trash bags will keep any water from evaporating, thus causing rust!, wd40 is bad for guns it will gum up small parts!

i'm sorry for your friends loss, and im not much help, but good luck

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    He has insurance that covers up to $3500 for firearms, so he's good on that aspect.

I'll take the guns out of the bags and let them dry out in the garage for a few days. They can NOT stay in my house or safe they way they sit now, they stink bad. The WD40 was a temporary solution to get the water out (remember what WD stands for ?). All the guns will need a complete teardown and cleaning no matter what happens.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Can he ask his insurance agent for a recommendation? Is any gun shop employee qualified to estimate value on the gun (I know of no certification along these lines)?

I would - (1) get estimated values (round up) from comparable guns (new AND used) online, and (2) have any gunsmith with a business license and business letterhead estimate repairs/restoration costs (again, rounding up)

Anything beyond that should be on the insurance company!! (I'm surprised that he can't call some higher-up on the phone that has done this before)

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    His insurance agent suggested he take them directly to gun shop for storage and repair estimates and mentioned a gun shop just off 38th street on Lafayette Rd. That was the end of taking advice from his agent.

He can get the values pretty easy, he knows what they are worth and what he paid. It's the repair estimates that he needs to know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    His insurance agent suggested he take them directly to gun shop for storage and repair estimates and mentioned a gun shop just off 38th street on Lafayette Rd. That was the end of taking advice from his agent.

He can get the values pretty easy, he knows what they are worth and what he paid. It's the repair estimates that he needs to know.

On the contrary, I'd get that advice from the agent in writing and follow it exactly. Your friend needs to have Don write up ALL expenses and values as instructed, including storage, labor involved, etc.

Write those guns off, as they can't be trusted, that's what he paid the insurance for. Make sure the claim is for everything involved.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wish you/him luck, but I would not be too optimistic just yet.
    I was given a Fajen thumbhole stock for a Ruger 10/22 because it had been in a house fire and it stunk of smoke.
    No physical damage, but it really smelled bad.

This was a nicely finished laminated stock, at one time. I sanded the finish off and wiped the bare wood down with mineral spirits.
    It still stunk. I sanded more and wiped it down again, and again, and a fourth time, before I finally got the smoke smell to a minimum. I never got rid of it completely before I used a polyurethane to finish it and seal the remaining smell in the stock.

If they smell that bad, it is a nightmare to deodorize the wood.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    On the contrary, I'd get that advice from the agent in writing and follow it exactly. Your friend needs to have Don write up ALL expenses and values as instructed, including storage, labor involved, etc.

Write those guns off, as they can't be trusted, that's what he paid the insurance for. Make sure the claim is for everything involved.

I like the way you're thinking.:D

Top Bottom