• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    So, my Dad surprises me w/ a brand new charcoal smoker yesterday, talking about I bought this for you to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving... Now I've been known to work my way around a grill before, but I haven't the slightest clue on how to use a smoker! Does or has anyone ever smoked a turkey that could point me in the right direction?!? I have an idea for a brine to use, know that you should keep a cooking temp. of 230 to 250F, 30 min / pound, and the bird needs to be around 165F before consumption.

I figure I would smoke a 3 lbs. turkey breast to start off, just to get my feet wet, then fry the whole bird like I normally do.

Any tips or pointers, before I start this mission would be a big help!!!

Thanks, Bigc

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I smoke at about 220 on the high side 30-45 minutes per pound with a mixture of apple wood and natural lump charcoal. I would also include the 12 pack of beer it takes to keep the temperature at the right level the whole time. I use a brine of brown sugar, kosher salt, maple syrup(pure), and apple cider soak a 15lb turkey for 10-24 hours and throw 'er on the smoke at 7 to be done around 2-230 it comes out black as the ace of spades, but tender, juicy and absolutely delicious!

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Any tips or pointers, before I start this mission would be a big help!!!Thanks, Bigc

Most folks tend to over do the smoke. All you want to see is a very faint trace of smoke. I soak my apple and pear wood in a bucket of water and just toss a couple finger sized pieces in on top of the charcoal (natural lump) about every half hour or so.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Smokeing a turkey really is not that hard. First I will tell you how I do it then point you to a site that is all about smokin up some good eats.
    First I brine the bird for at least 24 hours. When the bird is done brineing I pull it out of the brine and pat it dry then throw it in the fridge uncoverd for night to pull the extra moisture out of the skin. This helps it crisp up on the smoker. About 4 am Thanksgiving morning I go out light my smoker and get it pre heated. If you have a little smoke this won't take as long. Mine is 275 gallons so it takes a while. As the smoker is warming up I get the bird out and carefully seperate the skin from the bird and stuff a mixture of butter and herbs under the skin. I use tooth picks to pin the skin back down. At this point I check on the smoker and see where the heat is settleing in at and make any adjustments need. You don't want thick white smoke or black smoke coming out of the stack. the smoke should be thin and blue this can be hard to see when it is dark. Right before I put the bird in I give the skin a quick coat of olive oil to help it crisp up. once my smoker is right were I want it (250 degrees) I put the bird in. After it is in I watch my temps and add fuel as needed to maintain heat and desired amount of smoke. About once an hour I check the bird once the skin reachs the color I want I tent the bird with foil and close the smoker up I won't open the smoker again till I know its getting close to done. Once the bird is close to done around 20 minutes to go I will kick the heat up in the smoker to 350 to 400 to crisp the up perfect. If its done to early I will wrap it in foil tight and put it in a empty cooler to keep it warm till serving time.
    Guess I should add the only reason I use the big smoker is because we cook most of the dinner in the cooker from the pies to the bird.

Top Bottom