• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    First, help us out here, what kind of smoker?

Pork shoulder (butt) can go 1.5-2 hrs/lb for a 6-9 pounder at 250-275. No way you’ll dry it out, very forgiving. No water pan needed. When I take mine off the smoker, I wrap in foil, then a big towel, then in a cooler for 2-4 hrs before I pull it. After I pull it, I keep it covered up tight until it cools a bit, to keep moisture from evaporating.

If for a group in the next week or two, I suggest no brisket or venison. The margin for error is too thin.

Go pork butt. Just an opinion. You’ll get accolades for the pork, even if it’s “just” pulled pork.
    +1 on brisket and deer small margins for error.. it took me 5 or 6 briskets before I mastered them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Does the presence of a pan below the meat hinder developing a smoke ring on the lower portion?
    Yes, it will only really get a smoke ring on the exposed meat.. like any part that's in liquid wont get a ring but as the meat cooks it does have somewhat of a wicking affect. You can see on that shoulder, the ring only penetrates about 1/2 in into the exposed meat. Remember with deer, you just want enough that its barely visible then wrap it in foil to finish cooking
    d3056ee124b187cc339c7f9cc5ed1f6e.jpg

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I’m wearing my Rec-tec shirt now. I’m the West clay to your Carmel :):
    Don't get me started on Brainardville. As my wife says he says, "we have money and it's my job to spend it."
    I got horror tales, but that's a different thread. :):

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I put my pan of juice on a ceramic diffuser that's only got 3 vents on the sides to allow the smoke thru. There has to be some circulation of smoke inside. It can't just go straight up and out. I'll check next time, but I bet there's a smoke ring on the bottom too. No evidence, just opinion at this point.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I put my pan of juice on a ceramic diffuser that's only got 3 vents on the sides to allow the smoke thru. There has to be some circulation of smoke inside. It can't just go straight up and out. I'll check next time, but I bet there's a smoke ring on the bottom too. No evidence, just opinion at this point.
    Yeah, you wont get much of a ring where the meat sits in whatever juice you use.. you will get some minor color change from the meat wicking up the juice but not much of a actual smoke ring

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Lots to learn, so little brain power left after a long day. But stuff will process and trickle in.

Right now, I have the brisket (well, half of a full brisket) in the smoker. Thermometer (wireless) says it is back up to 208 (higher than I want by 8 degrees). When rain started the temp fell quite a bit. So today I get to play with the fire a smidge. 3.5 pounds total. Simply put BBQ 3000, garlic, and salt on it.

We only get 2 parts to a brisket a year, so not lots of room for experimenting. We buy a side of beef and get the brisket from that.

Chicken is in a simple brine of 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and water. It and the venison go on the smoker tomorrow.

The wife and I had seen one BBQ boot camp and talked about it. We are definitely interested. Will look at those links as local = easier for us.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Lots to learn, so little brain power left after a long day. But stuff will process and trickle in.

Right now, I have the brisket (well, half of a full brisket) in the smoker. Thermometer (wireless) says it is back up to 208 (higher than I want by 8 degrees). When rain started the temp fell quite a bit. So today I get to play with the fire a smidge. 3.5 pounds total. Simply put BBQ 3000, garlic, and salt on it.

We only get 2 parts to a brisket a year, so not lots of room for experimenting. We buy a side of beef and get the brisket from that.

Chicken is in a simple brine of 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and water. It and the venison go on the smoker tomorrow.

The wife and I had seen one BBQ boot camp and talked about it. We are definitely interested. Will look at those links as local = easier for us.
    Briskets like to stall out, if it does, wrap in a couple layer of foil all the way around and get the center up to 185-190 and then pull it

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was cooking to internal temp but then I pushed the probe in further and say I was not quite “internal”

always push the probe a bit if you may be shallow or pull if too deep and give it a minute to equilabrate. I’ve added an hour to a cook based on that once

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I was cooking to internal temp but then I pushed the probe in further and say I was not quite “internal”

always push the probe a bit if you may be shallow or pull if too deep and give it a minute to equilabrate. I’ve added an hour to a cook based on that once
    Yeah, ya gotta kinda poke around for the cool reading

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Sat I did our small brisket. Can't say that much fat was worth the effort. Sooo little meat. Tastes great but after 10+ hours (?) I had to shut it down. I needed to go to bed. Did want it to run all night.

Did a chicken and venison roast Sunday. Both turned out pretty well. Venison was s little tougher than I would have liked, may have been a tough overdone. Or I did not age her enough.

Was as tough to keep temp where I wanted sat w rain on and off. Even Sunday wax a challenge as wind would go a whole then stop. A welding Blanket would help.

Learning through this whole thing.

Wanted to share where an update.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Ill add that you should only use temperature as a rough guide. For pork butts and brisket, they are done when your thermometer probe slides in with no resistance. I have had that at 195 and had others take up to 205.

No need for a water pan in your smoker, all it does is help smoker maintain a cooler steady temperature. It does not make meat more moist. When meat cooks it builds a slight internal pressure which is why when you poke meat juice comes out, so the steam from your water pan is not going in.

3-2-1 method is pretty good for spare ribs.

Venison should be cooked rare/medium rare. It doesn't have fat like brisket or pork butts.

I do all my beef and pork smoking at around 250 degrees, and all poultry at around 290.

Trying to think of other tips I've learned over the years of catering and competing. Any other questions just ask.

Top Bottom