• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    SMKW is kind of like a museum and store all wrapped up into one. You could spend a full day in there...well, at least I could. They have about everything and anything that is related to the cutlery world. You can also learn a lot of history about knives in there....Lots of displays with history lessons about the knife world. I would also recommend going to the NKCA (National Knife Collectors Association) museum that is located on the SMKW grounds...talk about a history lesson in early American cutlery manufacturers......it's worth spending a day there.:twocents:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    SMKW is kind of like a museum and store all wrapped up into one. You could spend a full day in there...well, at least I could. They have about everything and anything that is related to the cutlery world. You can also learn a lot of history about knives in there....Lots of displays with history lessons about the knife world. I would also recommend going to the NKCA (National Knife Collectors Association) museum that is located on the SMKW grounds...talk about a history lesson in early American cutlery manufacturers......it's worth spending a day there.:twocents:

Crap, I'm going to have to stop on the way back too now. Thanks for the heads up Brad, I'll definitely check it out. And be prepared, I might have some things for you to look up when I get back

:spend:

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    AWESOME store!!! I'd stay away from the bear and son knives... they look great, but their quality is not good, and their warranties are CRAP as well as their costumer service (at least on the phone). I'm finding with knives, these days you really have to pay a good chunk of change to get a quality blade. just my:twocents:
    TW

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    AWESOME store!!! I'd stay away from the bear and son knives... they look great, but their quality is not good, and their warranties are CRAP as well as their costumer service (at least on the phone). I'm finding with knives, these days you really have to pay a good chunk of change to get a quality blade. just my:twocents:
    TW

Yep, I plan on looking and handling a lot of knives then calling Bradsknives or Knifelady to get what I want. :rockwoot:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yep, I plan on looking and handling a lot of knives then calling Bradsknives or Knifelady to get what I want. :rockwoot:

Just a warning/heads up: You will see a lot of knives at SMKW that are exclusives just for them. I have run into this problem before with customers requesting certain knives only to find out that the only place you can get them is from SMKW.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Just a warning/heads up: You will see a lot of knives at SMKW that are exclusives just for them. I have run into this problem before with customers requesting certain knives only to find out that the only place you can get them is from SMKW.

brad is being serious as they get some special treatment but they are by far a big box chain story and suck nuts in the long run. brad and sheila are definitely better money spent. go and play for sure but anymore and its a waste. enjoy the time there and finger **** some good blades but buy else where for sure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Where are you going on vacation? Staying in the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area? Smokey Mtns. Ntnl. Park?

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Where are you going on vacation? Staying in the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area? Smokey Mtns. Ntnl. Park?

-J-

Well, I'm going down to attend a wedding. Not exactly a vacation for me but I'm hitting a few things on the way down and back. But I'll be staying in Gatlinburg.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well, I'm going down to attend a wedding. Not exactly a vacation for me but I'm hitting a few things on the way down and back. But I'll be staying in Gatlinburg.

gotcha.

You really should take a day or two extra off of work and explore the area. it's fantastic. Also, Asheville, NC isn't too far away. Beautiful area there, too! Plus you could tour the Biltmore estate. That place is amazing!

-J-

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I went there a couple years ago. Like others have said, huge place, lots to see, the museum is awesome, lots of other stuff besides knives too. I bought 3 or 4 soft zipper pistol cases because they had a huge bin of them for $5 each. They have some amazing swords in that place. They also have a lot of junk too, but so does a lot of places I guess.

I'd say if its not much out of your way, its definitely worth checking out.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    As I recall, SMKW built the building new. I'v been there a couple dozen times, & it still awesome, & is just a few miles south of I-40 on 66. Also @ I-40 & 66 is a Bass Pro shop.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Is the SMKW store the same place as the old Acorn Shop?

I thought I was the only one that remembered the Acorn! Knives, blade blanks, kits if it was knife related the Acorn had it back in the day! I still have a carbon steel Bowie full tang blade I bought in there in 1977 or 1978 in my early teens! Some day I may finish it. Gatlinburg was nicer back then IMHO.

Anyone remember Mystery Hill near Gatlinburg?

Top Bottom