Smoky Mountain National Park backpacking recs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am planning a short trip to the Smokys this spring. I am looking for a short, one night backpacking trip. The only reason for the one night, is it's my wife's first trip, and I want it to be a positive experience. Looking for a loop, not too strenuous, probably around 15-20 miles or so. I haven't been there in about 10 years, so I am looking for some recommendations. Hopefully she will enjoy it and we can go longer next time. :):

Thanks.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    :rockwoot:

I've backpacked there several times.

I'd recommend something simple along Caedman's Cove if you're trying to warm her up and not beat her up.

probably around 15-20 miles or so
    Pick something they rate easy.

The above will probably push you a little if you are up and down any sort of elevation. When I went with as part of a group of well-conditioned young men, we were lucky to do 8- 10 miles in a day. It was ROUGH. You're in the mountains, and it isn't like hiking Brown County!!!:twocents:

I've attached some maps for you.

Trail Summary:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Every single loop trail just about in GSM is going to have significant elevation gain-loss it seems, so you may want to downgrade your mileage expectations a little or consider a there and back, especially since it's her first time. Two years ago we did a one night loop starting at Clingman's Dome, down the AT 4-5 miles then off and down 4500', then back up the next day making a loop. It was 22 miles and it was a good workout. The hike along the AT from Clingman's Dome is AWESOME with several views along saddles that can't be beat, and I'd recommend a there and back since the elevation gain/loss isn't that bad.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    If you're planning to tent camp, there's a nice trail up to Blanket Mountain with a designated camping area along the way up. You can set up camp and then climb the rest of the way up without so much weight. It's off of the AT far enough that you might have it all to yourselves. Easy overnight trip. Follows an old RR grade, so it's not too tough a hike.

If you're planning on staying in an AT shelter--make sure you know what you're getting into. Thru hikers have 1st divs on those. Many are rat infested. Maybe not a great 1st trip for the wife. I avoid them!

For a little more money, you could forgo the tent and stay at the Mount LeConte Lodge. It's rustic, but you have meals and a roof over your head along with some incredible scenery. Problem is getting reservations can be tough--usually booked up a year in advance.

Give some more details about what you have in mind.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    :rockwoot:

I've backpacked there several times.

I'd recommend something simple along Caedman's Cove if you're trying to warm her up and not beat her up.

Pick something they rate easy.

The above will probably push you a little if you are up and down any sort of elevation. When I went with as part of a group of well-conditioned young men, we were lucky to do 8- 10 miles in a day. It was ROUGH. You're in the mountains, and it isn't like hiking Brown County!!!:twocents:

Thanks. I have hiked there as well, and I know it's different than here in Indiana. I may have to adjust my mileage, it's been awhile and cannot remember how much I used to do in a day.

The hike along the AT from Clingman's Dome is AWESOME with several views along saddles that can't be beat, and I'd recommend a there and back since the elevation gain/loss isn't that bad.

I'll have to check into that. Sounds great.

If you're planning to tent camp, there's a nice trail up to Blanket Mountain with a designated camping area along the way up. You can set up camp and then climb the rest of the way up without so much weight. It's off of the AT far enough that you might have it all to yourselves. Easy overnight trip. Follows an old RR grade, so it's not too tough a hike.

If you're planning on staying in an AT shelter--make sure you know what you're getting into. Thru hikers have 1st divs on those. Many are rat infested. Maybe not a great 1st trip for the wife. I avoid them!

For a little more money, you could forgo the tent and stay at the Mount LeConte Lodge. It's rustic, but you have meals and a roof over your head along with some incredible scenery. Problem is getting reservations can be tough--usually booked up a year in advance.

Give some more details about what you have in mind.

Tent camp, not really into the shelters. I'm sure the wife would like the lodge, but we are going to backpack, not lounge around. Thanks for the input though. I'll have to check on Blanket Mountain.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Even though people reserve the shelters, it practically functions as first come first serve. Try dislodging a group of guys you don't know from their bunks at dusk after they've all settled in. Ain't gonna be fun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks. I have hiked there as well, and I know it's different than here in Indiana. I may have to adjust my mileage, it's been awhile and cannot remember how much I used to do in a day.

I'm an avid hiker and in good shape and our 22 mile overnight loop was a kicker. We started around 10am and set camp by 7pm and started at first light around 6:30am and was back at the car by 2:30 pm or so and were *tired*. Not exhausted, and we certainly could have kept hiking, but it had been a good workout.

If we'd broken that trip up into 2 nights it would be a downright pleasant trip. Figure each 1000' elevation gain is like 2-3 level trail miles on top of however long the trail is. Each 1000' loss is like 1-2 extra trail miles. If you want her to enjoy it don't make her first trips death marches :D. Save that for once you've got her hooked...

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Consider Spence Field leaving from Cades Cove. Overnight stay in the shelter. Definitely some elevation climb but - after having lived 15 minutes from the entrance to the Smokies for over ten years - nearly all hikes do.

Spence Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternately, google Tremont. Head up past the institute and then walk the trails up past the different cascades. Beautiful and not visited nearly so much.

Spruce Flats Falls Trail: This trail really has no name, is not marked, and, without knowing in advance where s/he is going, a hiker would not have any knowledge of the waterfall at the end of this trail. Because of its anonymity, Spruce Flats Falls is the most likely least visited waterfall of its size in the national park. The trail itself is only slightly longer than a mile in length and offers some views of nearby mountains before descending to the waterfall. Stop in the first building on your left after crossing the bridge at Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont to get a map and details about this trail.

Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Good reference

If you want a bunch of choices check out whiteblaze.net which is a website devoted to hiking the Appalachian Trail. Tons of good info and recs on where to go.

Depending on the time of year Smoky Mtn Nat park can get downright packed- even on the trails.

If you want a practice hike try Indiana's own Knobstone Trail. Lots of ups and downs and remote enough (for Indiana) that you can get a sense of wilderness...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Tent camp, not really into the shelters. I'm sure the wife would like the lodge, but we are going to backpack, not lounge around. Thanks for the input though. I'll have to check on Blanket Mountain.

You may know this but the "shelters" are not lodges. They are 3 sided log and stone structures with chain link on the 4th side and a roof. I have been hiking in the Smokies about 20 times for 4-7 days at a time but it has been about 20 years since I've been. As far as up hill verses down hill...depending on your joints, pack load, fitness and other things, going down hill can start to wear on you as much if not more than going up hill. It is not usually as big a deal but don't write off going down hill for a day straight as easy hiking. You'll have fun, it is a great place. Take pics and post an AAR.

EDIT: I just saw that you were likely referring to the actual Lodge (rather than a shelter) that the post before mentioned.
    --also, I've not had a problem displacing people that were in a packed shelter without a reservation before. I've been the person without a reservation before too and gladly setup the tent when the people that reserved it ended up filling it up. To show up without a reservation is a gamble but it is a gamble the person without a reservation is taking so they are the ones that risk tent camping at that spot.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you want a bunch of choices check out whiteblaze.net which is a website devoted to hiking the Appalachian Trail. Tons of good info and recs on where to go.

Depending on the time of year Smoky Mtn Nat park can get downright packed- even on the trails.

If you want a practice hike try Indiana's own Knobstone Trail. Lots of ups and downs and remote enough (for Indiana) that you can get a sense of wilderness...

If I've heard correctly, isn't this used as an warm up for a lot of Appalachian hikers?

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    yup

I have hiked sections of the Knobstone- great for a day hike or an overnighter. Left our car at Elk Creek (I think that's the name) which is only about 15 min west of Scottsburg right off I-65. Hiked south on the trail about 3 miles and camped on a ridge with a pretty view. Had 2 of my 3 boys with me. At first they were bored, but later remarked about how "flippin' dark" it gets in woods. (Quarter moon then too)

We are city folk. Not used to being in the woods after dark. We were far enough back in that no one would hassle us like one might find at a remote campground. Drunks get lost easy too...

I guess the KT could be a warmup for the AT but on a lesser scale. One downside to the Smokies is I believe you must camp at the shelters- and they can get crowded and noisy in the summer. Plus, trail politics can get in the way with some folks relaxing by smoking some weed or drinking too much. In some ways I'd rather be around the smokers than the drinkers because the smokers just mellow out.:cool:

Anyway, if I hiked in the park I would probably "stealth camp" by going off the trail and put a handy ridge between me and Mr Ranger should he be walking the trail. I wouldn't build a big fire either, just heat up some mac n cheese with a little alcohol burner. Put my Hennessy hammock up and I'm good to go!:D

Top Bottom