• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I've been away for a while (really busy in several areas of my life) but this was important enough I thought it needed to be reported here.

Snacks Crossing Elementary School made a serious, potentially dangerous error in the care of my 6 year old daughter. I'm writing this now, after I've calmed down a bit.

Tuesday, August 10th, I went to Snacks Crossing Elementary School (MSD Pike Township) to deal with some last minute paperwork issues for her first year of school. One of the things was to make sure the school had the proper permission and notice that she was to be picked up after school by her daycare and not take the school bus home. I watched them write her name and the name of the daycare on a list in the office and received verbal confirmation that they knew the daycare. I then stopped by the daycare to make sure she was on their list as well. All was in order, or so I thought.

Yesterday, at about 3:30 in the afternoon I get a call from a neighbor. My daughter was sitting outside the house and crying. Apparently she had been delivered home by school bus even though nobody was home and the school knew that nobody would be home. According to the neighbor she had a sticker on her shirt with her bus number. The school, despite instructions to the contrary, put her on the school bus rather than sending her with the other children from that day care.

Had it not been for the kindness of a neighbor this could have ended very badly. It still terrifies me to think how badly.

Is this really the kind of care we can expect from our public schools?

And following that, I personally took Athena to school this morning. I spoke to {name withheld} in the office. While I was standing there, I watched her (again) write Athena's name, day care, and that she was going to be picked up by the day care on the list. I also handed her the written note I had prepared and printed from the computer--again. I pointed out that without the intervention of the neighbor this could have had a very bad ending. Since the only difference between this time and Tuesday was that this time {name withheld} had a very angry parent standing in front of her, I did not consider this, by itself, entirely adequate so I took further steps.

After speaking with {name withheld}, I waited until the time to take children back to their classes (7:55) and took Athena personally back to her class. We were there before the other kids so we waited until the teacher came back with the other children. I then spoke to the teacher, {name withheld2}. I told {name withheld2} what had happened--that I had been in Tuesday to get Athena listed for the day care and that on Wednesday, the first day of classes, she was put on the bus for home. She was then let out at home when nobody was there. A neighbor then noticed her and basically came to her rescue. I was called at work and the neighbor was willing to take Athena to the day care. I also explained to her that without the intervention of that neighbor the incident could have ended very badly indeed. While I was there, I watched as she wrote Athena's name and the day care on a sticker to put on her shirt so that she would get to the right place. {name withheld2} then gave me her cell phone number to use if there are any future problems and I couldn't get through to the school itself (line is busy, voicemail is full, etc.) I again pointed out that if the neighbor had not come to Athena's rescue this could have ended very badly indeed.

In both of these cases I used my wife's "blow up" last night to advantage. I mentioned that they were probably lucky to be dealing with me since I was the "calm one." (My anger tends to run cold, my wife's very hot indeed.) Of course, I could have used that approach even if she hadn't blown up the way she did. "Good cop, bad cop" has an long tradition.

After leaving the school, I went to the daycare. I spoke to the administrator. I reminded her what had happened the previous day and mentioned that there was one area in which they fell short: when Athena wasn't there to be picked up they should have immediately called me. This was a mistake and I wanted assurance that it would not happen again. They are aware that if Athena is ever not there to be picked up, I need to know immediately. In return, if Athena isn't going to be there--home from school, say--we need to call them and let them know. Once more I emphasized that without the neighbor coming to Athena's rescue this could have ended very badly indeed.

I have also sent versions of the letter to the editor that I sent last night to the four local "network" TV stations (CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox).

We'll see if anybody picks up on it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    dburkhead, I understand your rage and respect your ability to hold back your anger and manage a family.

Government schools are a poison on society. No accountability. No compassion. No consequence for doing poorly.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I must admit, you handled it much better than I would have. Thank God your daughter was alright. I have a feeling if it was me, I would be calling the school about 15 minutes prior to the end of the day tomorrow and making sure that, again, everyone knew what was supposed to happen.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    you may be shocked at how often this actually happens. but i just realized something you said.
    you said she is 6.
    is your kid in kindergarten or the first grade?

we have a policy if the kids get on our bus are kindergarten kids, we have to see a parent or kid doesnt go home instead they go back to school.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    This scares me, my daughter starts riding the bus on Monday, I hope they don't drop her off unless someone is home, she's only 3.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I too have been having problems since day one. (Now not at all as bad as yours and I would have flipped a wig if that happened to my son). This is my son's first year and it has been total chaos with his teacher. He started this Tuesday and she was hired that Monday. Orientation was a joke because she had no idea on the school policies. Almost every question we would ask, she would say she'd have to get back with us. Then she had all these "extra" expenses that she is "making" each parent pay for. I've already dropped about $300 in clothes, books, materials, and now her "extra" expenses total to about $150, due in a week. And that just takes us to December.

First day of school she shows up 20 minutes late for class. Which I understand first day but I'd expect some type of apology and or explanation. Nope, walks in and says "kids take a seat, parents I need you all to leave"

So all in all my first thoughts is, It's gonna be a LONG year. :ranton:

Sorry to :hijack:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's terrible that happened but look at it this way. Would you want the job of managing hundreds if not thousands of kids bus schedules, daycare schedules, etc? I sure wouldn't. In a sense, we've abdicated the responsibility of the logistics of our childrens activities to the schools.

What would parents do without public schools? They'd then have to assume all of that responsibility for themselves.

Glad your daughter is ok.

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    Glad to hear you daughter is fine! Sad thing is if tables were turned they would have CPS breathing down your neck. Also as stated by others if she is kindergarten an adult should have had to be visable before the driver released her.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's important this is made known at the next MSD Pike board meeting. In the meantime, a letter outlining what happened should be sent to the board and ask them what will be done about the situation. They need to be accountable to you in this situation and it should not be swept under the rug and chalked up to beginning of the year errors.

I'm glad your daughter is alright and I hope something like this does not happen again.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's terrible that happened but look at it this way. Would you want the job of managing hundreds if not thousands of kids bus schedules, daycare schedules, etc? I sure wouldn't. In a sense, we've abdicated the responsibility of the logistics of our childrens activities to the schools.

This pretty much sums it up. The school made a mistake, but unfortunately it's simple one to make. If only one kids gets "lost in the shuffle" of managing countless numbers of children, then it's a pretty good day. It is unfortunate, but the logistics of getting every kid situated and to the right place is a nightmare...and to get it all right on the first day probably isn't going to happen.

Glad your kid is OK and your neighbor saw her.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    you may be shocked at how often this actually happens. but i just realized something you said.
    you said she is 6.
    is your kid in kindergarten or the first grade?

we have a policy if the kids get on our bus are kindergarten kids, we have to see a parent or kid doesnt go home instead they go back to school.

First grade.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I must admit, you handled it much better than I would have. Thank God your daughter was alright. I have a feeling if it was me, I would be calling the school about 15 minutes prior to the end of the day tomorrow and making sure that, again, everyone knew what was supposed to happen.

My anger tends to run cold rather than hot which is often an advantage.

OTOH, there are limits. Had something more than a scare happened to her I would probably be in jail right about now.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    First grade.

polices get jacked up with that.
    ours is
    kindergarten has to either have a parent or a 3rd grade or higher student meet or get off the bus with the youngin.

first grade and up is free to go on their own :-/ (provided there's no kindergarten kids getting off with them)
    *this only covers the bus rides though*

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

What would parents do without public schools? They'd then have to assume all of that responsibility for themselves.

Glad your daughter is ok.

Unless you are imagining some idyllic time when the only thing parents had to worry about were things like wolves, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and unfriendly autochthons, where mommy stayed home minding the kids while daddy went out roping cattle all day and drinking all night what the parents would have to do without public schools is hire someone to do the job.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    This pretty much sums it up. The school made a mistake, but unfortunately it's simple one to make. If only one kids gets "lost in the shuffle" of managing countless numbers of children, then it's a pretty good day. It is unfortunate, but the logistics of getting every kid situated and to the right place is a nightmare...and to get it all right on the first day probably isn't going to happen.

Glad your kid is OK and your neighbor saw her.

"A simple one to make"? Sorry, but no. This required several independent mistakes all in direct contravention of policies designed to prevent exactly this kind of "mistake" from happening.

Maybe if it were someone else's little girl I'd be all "it's a simple mistake to make" and "if only one kid get's 'lost in the shuffle'" but God I hope not.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Oh, and I have written about the incident to the IndyStar, WISH TV, Fox 59, WTHR, and WRTV. My wife called child protective services ("since she was only unsupervised for a few minutes before the neighbor found her we aren't going to 'assign' this but will keep it on file for six months if there are any repeat occurrences"). Finally, I have written to my own lawyer to see if there's anything actionable here.

Somebody said something about being "reserved"? I prefer to think of it as being methodical. "The mills of the gods grind slowly, but exceedingly fine."

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I too have been having problems since day one. (Now not at all as bad as yours and I would have flipped a wig if that happened to my son). This is my son's first year and it has been total chaos with his teacher. He started this Tuesday and she was hired that Monday. Orientation was a joke because she had no idea on the school policies. Almost every question we would ask, she would say she'd have to get back with us. Then she had all these "extra" expenses that she is "making" each parent pay for. I've already dropped about $300 in clothes, books, materials, and now her "extra" expenses total to about $150, due in a week. And that just takes us to December.

First day of school she shows up 20 minutes late for class. Which I understand first day but I'd expect some type of apology and or explanation. Nope, walks in and says "kids take a seat, parents I need you all to leave"

So all in all my first thoughts is, It's gonna be a LONG year. :ranton:

Sorry to :hijack:
    Wow. You need to remind her that she works for you.

Top Bottom