• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I found a magazine article that says the Armalite AR30(?) will do 1600 yards guaranteed. I have yet to read it, will have to wait till later tonight. It is also using the 338 Lapua round.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I do the second level membership. It costs something like $50, and then you pay $10 to shoot each time. I don't really get out enough to justify the full membership, so I appreciate the option to pay as you go.

It's a pretty basic range (not covered or anything), but they keep improving it. They just added concrete shooting benches on the rifle range. The rifle range has targets at 100, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1000 yards. There are also a couple of pistol bays, at least one of which has reactive steel targets. It's a great place to kill an afternoon.

What is the deal with qualifying for the different yard rages?

How are they about bring guests with you?

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    My 2 cents....i wanted a dm as the op does so that knocked alot of options off the table right away.

I ended up with a 308 Browning a-bolt II medallion. I wanted the classic wood, but theyre offered in black too and have heavier barrels if desired. At first glance you see no mag, but if you drop the floorplate the mag clips right out from the floorplate. You can buy extra mags for them too.

I liked it so much i got 2...one in 308 and other in 22-250....one for each boy when im long gone.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just a question for all the long range guys here, and this seems like the right thread.

Why hasn't anyone considered .270 win for a long range build? On paper it seems like the perfect option for a reasonably priced long range rifle.

Seen 308s shooting 16" plates at 1200+meters without much hassle. Wonder how a 270 would compare?

I also have this sneaking idea in the back of my head, that with the right load the .375H&H would reach WAY out there for a hell of a lot less money than a 338.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just a question for all the long range guys here, and this seems like the right thread.

Why hasn't anyone considered .270 win for a long range build? On paper it seems like the perfect option for a reasonably priced long range rifle.

Seen 308s shooting 16" plates at 1200+meters without much hassle. Wonder how a 270 would compare?

I also have this sneaking idea in the back of my head, that with the right load the .375H&H would reach WAY out there for a hell of a lot less money than a 338.

basically the bullet selection in 27 cal is not the greatest. id love to see some good bullets in 25 cal aswell

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Yes it is!

m1cm1d.jpg

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    The caliber isn't really the issue with a sniper rifle. It is if the gun is built properly. There are 1000 yard competitions with 308's, and those guns are highly accurate. You have to have a gun that is built for it though as your normal every day 700 just isn't going to place against a custom gun. You could however go buy a long action 700, take it to a good gunsmith and have him rebarrel it in 338 RUM. Then you have him blueprint it. If he's good, you're half way there. Then you need to go see someone who can put on a custom stock for you (there's a lot of stress in stocks that can throw off the long range accuracy of a rifle).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I am looking for opinions from more experienced shooters. I will not buy a gun without holding it so it will also come down to what I can find at a gun shop.

This quote means that you are looking to gain experience...

I don't think anyone is going to argue that for a TRAINED sniper, the .338 Lapua will outperform a .308, but for someone looking to BECOME trained then .308 makes the most sense for a lot of reasons, but the main one is price.

Price... Sure a .338 on average is a more expensive rifle at the counter, but the price of ammo is insane. At $5 a shot, a TRAINED sniper won't have much pause. 1 shot/1 kill... but for someone in TRAINING $5 every time you pull the trigger is salty.

.308 is $1 a shot which means you get 5 times the TRAINING at the same price and being a good shot takes trigger time.

I'd take a well trained shooter with a .308 over an untrained shooter with a .338 all day long.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    This quote means that you are looking to gain experience...

I don't think anyone is going to argue that for a TRAINED sniper, the .338 Lapua will outperform a .308, but for someone looking to BECOME trained then .308 makes the most sense for a lot of reasons, but the main one is price.

Price... Sure a .338 on average is a more expensive rifle at the counter, but the price of ammo is insane. At $5 a shot, a TRAINED sniper won't have much pause. 1 shot/1 kill... but for someone in TRAINING $5 every time you pull the trigger is salty.

.308 is $1 a shot which means you get 5 times the TRAINING at the same price and being a good shot takes trigger time.

I'd take a well trained shooter with a .308 over an untrained shooter with a .338 all day long.

Good point, thank you.

Top Bottom