• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I am some what young. Young enough to still have time to prepare for my future military career. I am interested in becoming a marine scout sniper. Can I have some tips on long range shooting, formulas, camo( ghillie suit), and things I might want to consider before doing anything I would regret. And last but surely not least THANK YOU to all the VETERANS who put there lives on the line to protect my freedom.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    from one Devil to a future......don't worry about the formulas, suits, tactics, etc...they'll teach you all of that they want you to know if you make it that far......concentrate on iron sights with an M16....if you don't qualify EXPERT out to 500 meters...you're not going to be selecting for further marksmanship training.....also, brush up on your ASVAB testing...specifically the G&T section....this section is what they will use to gauge your capabilities and it will limit you in what jobs you can or cannot do

also, make sure you do not get into ANY trouble....even financial....as that will disqualify you from the security clearances you will need to obtain

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Attitude, aptitude, and desire are what will see you through. Not just sniper school, but all aspects of life.

Good luck to you, and thank you for your intent to enlist.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    from one Devil to a future......don't worry about the formulas, suits, tactics, etc...they'll teach you all of that they want you to know if you make it that far......concentrate on iron sights with an M16....if you don't qualify EXPERT out to 500 meters...you're not going to be selecting for further marksmanship training.....also, brush up on your ASVAB testing...specifically the G&T section....this section is what they will use to gauge your capabilities and it will limit you in what jobs you can or cannot do

also, make sure you do not get into ANY trouble....even financial....as that will disqualify you from the security clearances you will need to obtain

spoken like a true grunt:+1:

KIRKVILLE55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Morgan County
    Increasing your cardio activity is first. Pain only hurts if you let it and always remeber, they can't take away your birthday. Everything is will be taught to you and paying attention to all the little details is the key. Good luck and start running. NSDQ

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    lol...you gotta watch out for the big green weenie....lol I wouldn't have thought of those things in my early teens....better he learn them now so he takes the right path if that's what he wants

A lot of those things didn't amount to a hill of beans when I enlisted.
    The courts used to "sentence" people to military service when I was in (circa late 1970's-early '80's.)

Now they seem to be able to pick and choose. All military branches are MUCH more "selective" now days.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A lot of those things didn't amount to a hill of beans when I enlisted.
    The courts used to "sentence" people to military service when I was in (circa late 1970's-early '80's.)

Now they seem to be able to pick and choose. All military branches are MUCH more "selective" now days.

yea i remember my grandfather saying that he had several members of his unit that had the choice of "go to jail or join the service"!! now a days with budget cuts and the down-sizing of the military, recruiters can afford to be more selective.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    yeah....now it's all about G&T, PFT, and rifle qual....they've also started what's called the Combat Fitness Test (CFT).....it's very tiresome, you'll be winded after it...but it's really not hard to pass...especially for a first class PFT'er........

I think the courts still can "sentence" to service depending on age...but they generally go to army.....MC will NOT accept or even give waivers for any criminal record.....I've seen a few guys with felonies get waived into the Army.....sort of disappointing, but they have a lot more positions to fill than the Marines get......Marines are incredibly strict.....they are so NOT hurting for enlistees that they give those who wish to RE-ENLIST a really hard time

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    one corporal buddy of mine wasn't allowed to re-enlist through his unit because he didn't get his paperwork in a year in advance......

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i remember the CFT and having to do it about 30 days before i EAS'ed. i thougt it was a waste of time to be honest but the USMC is leaning towards a peacetime force by putting more imphasis on garrison jibberish and not so much of killing bodies and stackin em at the door.. sad but true.. my beloved corps has gone to hell in a hand basket

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    one corporal buddy of mine wasn't allowed to re-enlist through his unit because he didn't get his paperwork in a year in advance......

I've also heard of re-enlistments being denied unless someone is willing to change their M.O.S.

Some skills are desparately needed, while other fields are full, or no longer essential.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    i remember the CFT and having to do it about 30 days before i EAS'ed. i thougt it was a waste of time to be honest but the USMC is leaning towards a peacetime force by putting more imphasis on garrison jibberish and not so much of killing bodies and stackin em at the door.. sad but true.. my beloved corps has gone to hell in a hand basket

:patriot: Semper Fidelis "Devil-Dog"

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

yeah....mother's of america, libs, etc...ruin what the corps is/was about.....dropping bodies.....at least the non-POG side still keeps the mentality for the most part....

the CFT is sort of a joke...it started in 2008 but it's not that hard....we made it harder....doing body drags with guys twice our size and such....still passed without a problem though

I don't like how they're giving good Marines a hard time about trying to stay in or get back in......or them replacing the SAW....when you need that instant 200 rds...it's nice to have

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've also heard of re-enlistments being denied unless someone is willing to change their M.O.S.

Some skills are desparately needed, while other fields are full, or no longer essential.

yeah...they're gradually bringing in more civilians to do more jobs that used to be handled by Marines.....a lot of officers "take orders" form civilian "supervisors".....it's BS.....civilians should have no authority in military action....granted, most of them are prior service Marines.....I still don't agree with it

many do change their MOS...either for re-enlistment or in order to rank up...because positions are full they can't promote...so they lat move to another MOS so they can promote.......a lot of POG's end up going grunt and get to go back to SOI, AIT, etc

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

why in hell did they make you do it if you were EAS'ing in 30 days........lol....good ole command

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    why in hell did they make you do it if you were EAS'ing in 30 days........lol....good ole command

because they wanted all in the bn to try out the cool new CFT... that command was a bunch of jacka$$es and it showed. shortly after i got out, the SgtMaj was relieved of his billet and forced into retirement!! then it all rolled down hill from there

Top Bottom