• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I say bring it on. I wish I would have been up in South Bend last weekend (38" in a couple days). It would have given me a reason to finally use the 4WD on my new pick-up. Maybe the next storm will hit here. Then all the bad drivers will stay home :)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I say bring it on. I wish I would have been up in South Bend last weekend (38" in a couple days). It would have given me a reason to finally use the 4WD on my new pick-up. Maybe the next storm will hit here. Then all the bad drivers will stay home :)

The bad drivers were out in great numbers in South Bend today. Over by the 4H fairgrounds, the roads were pretty bad(first time I used my 4wd as the plows weren't doing a very good job). Saw 2 morons end up in some yards in the subdivisions. Moron #1 was driving a z71 Tahoe and decided to pass me while I was doing the speed limit(in 4wd). I had to tap the brakes because I wasn't quite sure which way he was going when he tried to get around me. I slowed way down so I could give him a big smile while he was sitting there spinning tires trying to get out(not sure if he understands his push button 4wd). Moron #2 was already in a yard in a 300. I think they panicked when they started sliding trying to slow down. Moron #3 and moron #4 were closer to LaPaz and the roads weren't all that bad once you got out of South Bend.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend

No you wouldn't, when they pull the plows off the roads 4x won't really help much!

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I started plowing at 8:30 am yesterday and stopped at 5:30 am this morning. Went home took a shower and came to work. I have had 5 people ask me to plow there driveway on my way home plus I need to stop by and check my contracts before I can go him. I will probably have plowed 25-28 hours all said and done. I love snow I hope the storm we get this weekend is big.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    lol mines an 02 wrangler. i dont ever want to get rid of it

Didn't want to get rid of mine, either. Problem was I had too much power flowing through it and was tearing up the AMC 20 rear. Blew it out twice, and driveshaft U-joints would bust at a year, max (the good ones).

This was with regular driving!

Won't lay out what all I did to it right now, but suffice to say it had more power than anything that size should have had. On the street, it beat Camaros on a regular basis -- and I'm talking the Z71 package. The only one I raced and couldn't beat was someone I knew on the sheriff's dept who had a police package Camaro.

My one problem, though, man, was that rear axle. This was a '76 CJ5, and they had discontinued the use of the Dana 44 rear in 1975. I would have killed for a Dana 44 to match the Dana 30 front, but unfortunately, they no longer make 'em.

On your '02, I'm wanting to say you have a Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front, unless Chrysler swapped in a corporate axle rear or you opted for a heavier-duty package, in which case you may have a Dana 44. I was looking at Wrangler axles, but they would have stuck out way too far. The CJ's stance was not as wide. The Wrangler was created because folks didn't know how to properly drive the CJs and kept rolling 'em. :rolleyes:

The main difference between the CJ and the Wrangler from an offroading perspective is that the CJ's frame was part of the suspension and was built to flex to keep the wheels on the ground. Going slow I could see and hear everything flexing, almost like a living creature. It was kinda' weird.

The new type Wrangler uses coil springs to achieve the same goal. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I do think I'd sooner take the leaf springs just because I'm used to driving 'em, but that's a personal preference and is in no way intended to belittle the coil springs of the modern Wrangler. I actually do think the coil springs might be a bit more versatile, but it's largely a 1911 vs XDm thing. (Glock would be a Ford of some sort *shudder*).

Please just tell me that when you go muddin' you lose the top and doors and experience it like it was meant to be experienced! :yesway:

Josh

DtK_PhAnToM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Roanoke, IN
    Didn't want to get rid of mine, either. Problem was I had too much power flowing through it and was tearing up the AMC 20 rear. Blew it out twice, and driveshaft U-joints would bust at a year, max (the good ones).

This was with regular driving!

Won't lay out what all I did to it right now, but suffice to say it had more power than anything that size should have had. On the street, it beat Camaros on a regular basis -- and I'm talking the Z71 package. The only one I raced and couldn't beat was someone I knew on the sheriff's dept who had a police package Camaro.

My one problem, though, man, was that rear axle. This was a '76 CJ5, and they had discontinued the use of the Dana 44 rear in 1975. I would have killed for a Dana 44 to match the Dana 30 front, but unfortunately, they no longer make 'em.

On your '02, I'm wanting to say you have a Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front, unless Chrysler swapped in a corporate axle rear or you opted for a heavier-duty package, in which case you may have a Dana 44. I was looking at Wrangler axles, but they would have stuck out way too far. The CJ's stance was not as wide. The Wrangler was created because folks didn't know how to properly drive the CJs and kept rolling 'em. :rolleyes:

The main difference between the CJ and the Wrangler from an offroading perspective is that the CJ's frame was part of the suspension and was built to flex to keep the wheels on the ground. Going slow I could see and hear everything flexing, almost like a living creature. It was kinda' weird.

The new type Wrangler uses coil springs to achieve the same goal. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I do think I'd sooner take the leaf springs just because I'm used to driving 'em, but that's a personal preference and is in no way intended to belittle the coil springs of the modern Wrangler. I actually do think the coil springs might be a bit more versatile, but it's largely a 1911 vs XDm thing. (Glock would be a Ford of some sort *shudder*).

Please just tell me that when you go muddin' you lose the top and doors and experience it like it was meant to be experienced! :yesway:

Josh

lol I try to keep the interior looking decent so i usually don't. Personally i love the 4 link coils front and rear. I had an old XJ and it had leafs in the back and i wasn't really a fan of them. but about my axles i have a D30 up front and a D44 in the rear. Not sure if its from the factory or not. thats one main thing i looked at before i bought my 33's because the D35 is basically a piece of crap and those 33's would tear that axle up in no time. so now my weak link is the D30 because its the low pinion which means all th power is in reverse. I'd like to swap it out for a D30 high pinion so that the power is when moving forward.

Tony

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    lol I try to keep the interior looking decent so i usually don't. Personally i love the 4 link coils front and rear. I had an old XJ and it had leafs in the back and i wasn't really a fan of them. but about my axles i have a D30 up front and a D44 in the rear. Not sure if its from the factory or not. thats one main thing i looked at before i bought my 33's because the D35 is basically a piece of crap and those 33's would tear that axle up in no time. so now my weak link is the D30 because its the low pinion which means all th power is in reverse. I'd like to swap it out for a D30 high pinion so that the power is when moving forward.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Go talk to this guy:

PartsMike® Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Tell him I sent you. I hope he remembers me after all these years. It'll be Josh or El Chivato... don't know which he remembers best.

Regardless, he is the single most knowledgeable Jeep guy I have ever known. The only one who rivaled him was my vocational school teacher.

Both taught me tricks and things that professional technicians didn't know. For example, on my XJ Cherokee (yup, first vehicle!), well, it developed a problem. Took it to the Chevy garage as the Jeep garage was still being rebuilt after a fire. They could find nothing wrong, even though it sounded like the NP transfer case was stripping its chain each time I accelerated in 4wd.

We put it up on a lift at the vocational school, Lambert took a treble light, didn't look long, told me to pull the front driveshaft. OOOKay Lambert, done checked that, but whatever you say.

After I had pulled it, he showed me how the seal had pulled away from the shaft, then zapped it open with an air cutter. Shore 'nuff, there was a groove all the way around where grit had gotten in and worn it down. When the ball bearings in that plunge joint hit that groove, they slipped to different tracks.

Lambert just said "Don't blame them; they're not Jeep mechanics!" Two weeks and $200 later I had a new driveshaft and a non-buzzing XJ.

Lambert is gone now, and with him a great wealth of knowledge.

Parts Mike will have the axle you're looking for. Tell him how much you can spend and he'll find it for you.

Josh

DtK_PhAnToM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Roanoke, IN
    right now im debating if i want to put any more money into it. i have already put over 1900 dollars worth of upgrades which is what i paid for my first car which was an XJ. i might be joining the Army within the year and if so i dont want to put anymore money into it until after basic and AIT. but ill have to check it out either way. i have also been putting off buying a clutch for way to long now. the throwout bearing is screwed(probably from being under water so many times lol). plus i have only changed two clutches before and they both took way to long. i only have hand tools and a driveway which its way to cold to be doing it outside. i had the money for my clutch but i just bought 500 rounds of .45 acp go figure lol

Tony

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I just made 500 rounds (at least) of .45acp for less than $30! ;)

Clutches ain't hard, and if I still had the money and the gumption (and hell, if I hadn't just broke my hand a week before Christmas!) I'd do it for ya'.

Shouldn't even have to pull the tranny all the way on that beast, just slide 'er back. But with running those 33" tires you're going to tearing up the stock clutch and plate.

Might look at a button clutch. It'll be a jerky takeoff, but you won't be burning it out ever again! :D

Josh

DtK_PhAnToM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Roanoke, IN
    I'm debating if i am going to do it myself or not. i know mechanic and he quoted me at 300 to 500 in labor which i don't think is to bad. whats a button clutch? never heard of them. i have been looking into a centerforce stage 2 clutch but still debating how much i actually want to spend on just the clutch. i have also looked into heavy duty clutch kits. all i know is i need to quit putting it off because i feel its a ticking time bomb waiting to go off at the worst posible time.

Tony

Top Bottom