• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    We'll see. I holding off turning on my furnace until at least September is over. I'll try to wait until October is about done with but who knows.
    Suppose to get down to 38 tonight so I pulled an extra blanket out of my closet.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The great lakes had ice a lot longer this summer, so they didn't get as warm as normal. That makes the probability of a colder snowier winter. At least that's the logic I've read. It makes sense, but who knows how far south that effect would go.

I've heard the opposite for the snow part. The logic behind it was that the colder water will have less evaporation so less lake effect snow. But who knows?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We should ask our elected officials to take steps to see that winter isn't as bad as last year, perhaps outlawing snowfall, or a snowfall tax to discourage heavy snowing.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I wouldn't worry too much.

What are the chances of a bad winter in Indiana of all places?

sagers-iceman-splsh.jpg

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am always thankful for a snowy winter. It is one of nature's way of replenishing our lakes. I have been watching the water level of a pit that I pass every day on the way to work. It has been dropping for years. The hot summers' evaporation have been out-pacing the rains and meager winters' snow replenishing effort. This last winter's snow and spring rain increased the level a somewhat. This mild summer and rain has it nearly back to our "pre-drought" level.

The aspect of winter snow that I dislike:
    -The continuous interruptions of local programming by our "weather team". With every system comes the gloom and doom of 12"-18" but delivers 4"-6" maybe. Cry wolf much?
    -The naming of winter weather systems. It isn't done for weather systems coming out of Texas and Oklahoma in July, why in January and February?
    -The DOT's expenditure of money for road pre-treatment based on every forecast or trucks rolling after a dusting.
    -The state issuing driving advisories/warnings limiting driving. In this locale, for all of them last winter in this area, there was one night in the late pm/early am where it was warranted.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm starting to worry about getting my jeep ready for the snow...as of right now, you can't go faster then 40mph

Top Bottom