• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes that is true. Speer makes a short barrel load for the .357 now. But in most situations .357 out of snub translates into a lot of recoil and muzzle flash. You do pick up some velocity but personally I would stick with .38 +P. The other benefit of .38 are the cases are shorter and easier to extract.

I have a Taurus 85CH and a S&W Model 13. I like the 13 and am thinking about carrying that instead of the Taurus. But the Model 13 barrel is an inch longer, heavy barrel and you can notice the weight difference.

It is a .357, but I agree the recoil and especially the muzzle flash is intense! Either one will be loaded with .38 Special +P.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Most folks have issues with 1911's because they don't take the time to break them in properly. If you haven't fired at least 500 rounds through it, it's still too tight! That, in many cases, is why it is "ammo" sensitive. I know that can be expensive but you learn the weapon and its characteristics during that time and it will make a difference.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    Most folks have issues with 1911's because they don't take the time to break them in properly. If you haven't fired at least 500 rounds through it, it's still too tight! That, in many cases, is why it is "ammo" sensitive. I know that can be expensive but you learn the weapon and its characteristics during that time and it will make a difference.
    i do agree, a person should break in there weapon. ive had colts kimbers springfields wilsons ect., and all the micro compacts ive had sucked. and i put the rounds threw them with a firm wrist. for what you pay for a short 1911 you dont get much in my opinion.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Another thing, Tarus makes a 7 round .357 2 inch barrel revolver. I dont know, but it was me, I would rather have 7 I could trust to be near 100% reliable then having to deal with all the issues of a mirco 1911 in 9mm. ANd plus, when you look at the 1911, you have to factor in the cost of ammo and time to break it in, while a revolver is GTG out the box, unless you want to carry a less then reliable gun.

I dont know, I never got, even with modern manufacturing techinques why you should have to have more time and money to get a break in period on an already expensive 1911. I dont know, me personally, I would rather have a PSL or an AK and a used gen 2 or 3 glock or a cz 82 then dick around with a 1911

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The SP101 has a smooth but long trigger pull. It would be difficult to accidentally fire it with the long trigger pull. The Sig ultra compact 1911 has a trigger like warm butter. It would be possible to accidentally fire the Sig since it will fire with very little effort. One of my first range trips out earlier this year I fired the SP101 and my LCP first. Both have similar long trigger pulls. The next gun in the line up was the Sig.

I had the Sig pointed toward the target, I wasn't quite ready to start firing yet because my friend started talking to me about my form. I just gently rested my finger on the trigger to size it up and the gun went off. It startled me because I really hadn't intended to fire it yet. I was thankful I was pointing down range when it happened. The incident reinforced the need to stick with similar carry guns if I plan to switch them around.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Though thing I heard and I wonder if its true: Out of a short barrel, certain .38 special loads are almost as good as .357 because of the lost velocity.

You are getting a lot of recoil and muzzle flash for very little return in velocity. .38s also eject cleaner because the cases are shorter. With the short ejector rod in a 2" revolver, that's sometimes an issue.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IMHO the 1911 platform should be a .45acp as its maker, JMB, intended. Anyone who tries to "out-think" him is on a fool's errand.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    this dos not answer your question. but just a thought. if your a 1911 fan and like the single action pull. consider a sig 238 or colt pocketlite. i beleave them to be much more dependable then a short barrel 1911 in 9mm or .45.

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    If I were making the choice, and if I was going to carry it, I would pick the one that weighs the least. Weight means a lot to me.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i like them both.......45's that is.....

n2eetd.jpg

dfzt37.jpg

Ruspath

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    this dos not answer your question. but just a thought. if your a 1911 fan and like the single action pull. consider a sig 238 or colt pocketlite. i beleave them to be much more dependable then a short barrel 1911 in 9mm or .45.

Or a Sig 938 in 9 mm. The 238s are smooth, are 380, small, flat. 938 isn't much bigger, and almost as flat. It has a stiffer SA trigger but predictable and no creep. Not bad in a carry gun where it won't be touched off by mistake.

Top Bottom