• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Can you rent a gun at a range to use, or do usually not provide rentals? What about instruction?
    I'm interested in rifle and shotgun shooting. Don't own one yet.
    I don't know of any, around the Ft. Wayne area, that "rent" firearms to shoot. I belong to a conservation club that has a nice range myself. Your best bet is to find a friend or family member that is a gun owner and go shooting with them a couple of times to get the feel for it. I think that will make it a little easier to get to the point where you will be willing to lay down some hard earned cash for a firearm of your own. JMHO.:ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700

Closed Mon. & Tues.
    Indoor range 25 yards
    Sales
    Rentals
    Consignment sales
    Trades
    Reloading supplies
    Training- from basic to advanced
    Accessories
    all under one roof

And they're an Ingo advertiser too!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't really have any friends or family that shoot. What's my second to best bet?
    Get some better friends?

I believe the Indiana Gun Club up near Fishers rents shotguns for trap. Nice group of folks up there. They may give lessons, too?

For rifles, pick up a .22 and sign up for an Appleseed. Meet great folks, learn some history, and learn to shoot.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I live in Greenfield. Rifle or trap shooting. and enough training so that I don't look a moron surrounding by people who know what they're doing.

MCF&G, on the west side of Indy, has trap every Thursday night. Don't worry about being the new guy, everybody is at one time or another. If you check around, there may even be somebody willing to loan you a suitable shotgun. Chances are, there is a range closer to you, that has weekly trap, with equally accommodating participants.

Check this out: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/8594-list_of_indiana_shooting_ranges.html

What kind of rifle shooting are you interested in? Your best bet for instruction in this regard, is to get yourself to an Appleseed shoot, sponsored by the Revolutionary War Veteran's Association. It's not tactical (for this century, anyway), but it will establish a good base of shooting fundamentals on which to build.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Keep an eye on INGO, watch our for events in your area or that you can travel to. I bet if you show up with a case of soft-drinks and start handing them out and talking to people, you'll get to shoot some of their stuff, (under supervision, of course.)

Not really a long-term training plan, but can help get you exposure to various types of weaponry.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I live in Greenfield. Rifle or trap shooting. and enough training so that I don't look a moron surrounding by people who know what they're doing.

All good advice here. I would just add to worry less about "looking like a moron" and just concentrate on learning how to be safe (and have fun at the same time).

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To find people to shoot trap with you might want ask in the shooting sports area of ingo. I think you'll find shooters are, for the most part, some of the most helpful poeple you'll ever meet.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    So is Appleseed a get-together of INGO members?

Sometimes it might seem like it. :):

It's just a private organization that promotes marksmanship. Has its own forum here:

Appleseed - INGunOwners

ETA: Before I get lambasted by a Red Hat, I should also include that Project Appleseed promotes knowledge of American Revolutionary history.

btw - In order to tailor responses you'll get, how old are you, OP? Do you currently own, or have experience with, any firearms?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    So... is being a "Friend of INGO" kind of like being a "Friend of Bill W." , just for gun addicts?

:D

And of course, we're all enablers.... :D

Heck, some of us are PUSHERs... (Shooter521, Mrs GungHo, DiceDealer, et al...)!

Top Bottom