So I flew with a firearm for the first time today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Yeah, so today I traveled back from Tampa, FL and I had to check my EDC pistol through. Before I even came down to FL I was checking the TSA, Tampa airport, and AirTran regulations and policies for flying with a firearm. The process was really easy, and completely painfree (in this particular experience, I have read some horror stories). Here's how the whole process went: first I bought a high quality hard sided case (Pelican model 1170 case with the customizable foam) and non-TSA lock, I insured my firearm was unloaded, unloaded the mag and put the ammo back in the factory box and that had a spot in my case as well as an extra loaded mag. As per TSA regulations, the ammo can be in the same case as the firearm so long as the firearm is confirmed unloaded and the ammo is in a secured container (factory box, reloader box, etc). When I went to check in with the airline, I walked up to the ticket agent and said calmly and friendly "Hi, I need to declare a firearm." The agent was very helpful and promptly got the orange tag I'd heard so much about. You sign and date the tag in affirmation that your firearm is unloaded and secured in a hardsided, locked container. The agent looked at my firearm and a more experienced one came over and asked me to pull the slide back so they could see the chamber was clear. After that I locked my case, put it back in my bag and finished check in as usual. I had to walk my bag to a separate TSA screening point for them to screen it while I stood there and then once they were done I got the all clear and headed to my gate to board. Once i landed in Indy, my bag came through at the baggage claim as usual and I picked it up just like normal and went home. I strapped up in the car before I took off of course. Overall it was a very positive experience and I look forward to flying with a long gun in the future (I'm sure that will bring its own complications).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Not trying to give you a hard time... But you may want to look into the key just east of the ' key... Usually says "enter" or "return" and is useful for creating paragraphs.

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I've heard that the hard sided container has to be the one that is factory for the gun. Apparently that's not true, it can just be any hard sided container?

kabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    It can be any hard-sided container. Not all handguns come from the factory with a hard-sided case (CZ, I'm looking at you!)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    and...................(TSA WEBSITE)
    The firearm must be unloaded. And declared to the aircraft operator.The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed.
    If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, and discoverd by TSA TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed. TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
    Magazines may be loaded and carried in a magazine pouch as long as the pouch has a closure, no open topped mag pouches.
    Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above IE Commercial packaging or closed designated ammo storage box NO LOOSE ROUNDS.
    TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
    Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.

So simply put, fly with your gun(s), make sure they are unloaded, make sure you tell the airlines you are tarvelling with an un loaded firearm, fill out the orange declaration tag(s), you gun(s) should be in a locked hardsided case, or in a commercial gun case inside a locked bag. Magazines should be in the case, or covered magazine pouch. Ammo in its commercial or packaged box, NO loose rounds. If TSA needs to see you they will call for you. Improperly package, or undeclared firearms, or firearms that appear to be loaded, and or improperly packaged or loose ammo, will cause you some attention you don't want. And above all, never, ever, ever, try and take a firearm through the checkpoint into the sterile area. Having a permit to carry will not help you here. LEO's, Federal Flight Deck Officers, FFDO's (Authorized armed pilots), know their proceedures for firearms carry and act accordingly.

Last edited:

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Good post. Useful information. Appreciate you taking the time to share it. Look forward to the long gun report. BTW it is the content that counts... not your paragraph structure.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Thanks for the post SHCdvl. I travel weekly for work and often thought about checking so that I could carry daily at work. I've always talked myself out of it because of the perceived "hassle" at the airport and the fact that I'm in and out of places that don't appreciate firearms. Factor in the research on other states' laws regarding those signs, where to carry, etc, and it's just been more logical for me to carry a very sharp knife. Your post has given me fresh thought, though. I just may give it a shot sometime.

Not trying to give you a hard time... But you may want to look into the key just east of the ' key... Usually says "enter" or "return" and is useful for creating paragraphs.

I think it's a pretty bold assumption on your part that everyone faces North when using their computer.

-Dobber

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have traveled several times with a handgun by air. Twice to Texas and 3 or 4 times to Florida. The process was as painless as the OP described. And I never used the original factory container. Primarily because they say COLT, Smith $ Wesson, and Ruger on the sides. Not all airport employees are honest.
    So mine is just a plain Aluminum hard case that I have been able to stuff up to three hand guns in. And since I'm just bringing them for fun! I do not travel with ammo just because I buy some at my destination. But have researched the rules. Just be sure you check with the airline you are traveling on. Some have different rules. American and Southwest are the ones I used and they had basically the same rules as TSA. Some airlines have some different policies concerning firearms so just check with them to be sure. I think the major difference is that a few air lines prefer that the ammo be in a totally separate container from the firearm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    My wife just left for California this morning and took her pistol with her so she could keep up her proficiency if she can find ammo there...

Flew Delta with little to no hassle. Her bag had to be looked at by TSA but everything was in a Pelican hard case, she had all the keys to the padlock, the ammo was in a factory ammo box, and the magazines were unloaded. Since she had all the keys they never actually looked at the gun but that apparently didn't matter. The only thing she was asked was if it was a TSA lock. It wasn't and no issues from there. The only thing extra we did was put her name and phone number on the hard case itself just in case TSA felt the need to call her to unlock it.

I'm really curious how it will be flying back from San Diego but that's going to be another story.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Have flown with long guns many times and it has been pain free and easy every time except once. The one time it was an issue was due to a TSA f-up.,...which they admitted after a little coaxing and finger pointing on my part.

Dirty Steve

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    So people get in trouble when they take it into the area past the bag searches and checkpoints?

If you could get it past the immensely intelligent and clever TSA officers, yes you'd be in a lot of trouble. Seeing as how the TSA is so well funded with our tax dollars and subsidies from the major airlines + airports I don't think that's going to be possible. You'd have to have a completely polymer gun and insert it in pieces into your rectum and then have a note from a physician saying you had a radioactive cancer treatment device inserted there...not an evil handgun. (Please don't try to dislodge, you could incur poisoning.)

The IC specifically states that weapons are not allowed in federal buildings where police provide security, on school property, and in "sterile areas" at airports, at the state fair, etc etc. The "sterile areas" are anywhere beyond locked doors (for employees) or beyond TSA checkpoints (for travelers). Someone will be along with the IC shortly.

EDIT: Justification for the purple.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    Thanks for the info, yet another thing I was wondering about and promptly did an intense few minutes of research and moved on thinking it just seemed like a hassle. I do travel to Virginia frequently and will now look forward to having my complete EDC with me out there. Thanks again.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the post SHCdvl. I travel weekly for work and often thought about checking so that I could carry daily at work. I've always talked myself out of it because of the perceived "hassle" at the airport and the fact that I'm in and out of places that don't appreciate firearms. Factor in the research on other states' laws regarding those signs, where to carry, etc, and it's just been more logical for me to carry a very sharp knife. Your post has given me fresh thought, though. I just may give it a shot sometime.

I think it's a pretty bold assumption on your part that everyone faces North when using their computer.

-Dobber
    I didn't say Magnetic East, did I? :)::):

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    Be careful on your airplane routing, especially through NYC airports. If you legally transit NYC and due to weather or mechanical your flight out cancels you could have an issue. There are cases of airline agents returning your belongings and immediately call the NYPD. You get arrested, charged with felony possession, and get your firearms confiscated. I will never transport a firearm on a connection through NYC.

Top Bottom