• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My personal opinion: don't ask, don't tell. If he didn't ask if you have any weapons in the car then you don't need to tell him. If he did ask, then of course be honest with him and also inform him that you have your permit. It really depends on the officer as to how they react. I have been pulled over twice on my motorcycle not carrying a firearm, but had a pocket knife on me. One time the officer reached in my pocket and took it "for his safety" and the second time a different officer said he expected all guys to carry a pocket knife and didn't think twice about it.

Hmmmm... I have 1/2 inch pocketknife on my key chain. If I am asked if I have any weapons in the car I'll fess up to having it and show it to the LEO. That will get a good laugh and direct his attention away from any other potential items.

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I just got stopped by the Goshen PD. I pulled over immediately and he approached and asked for license and registration. I gave it to him and he asked did I have any weapons. I replied yes and he said where. I told him on my right hip and he said ok and stay in the car. Returned with a warning. Very courteous and professional.

mShu7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I've been doing some ride-alongs with a local Deputy. He's a good guy, pro 2A and always carries off duty. I asked him his opinion on this subject. He basically said there's no quicker way to get yanked from your car and have your face planted in the pavement than them seeing a firearm by surprise. He's all for people carrying, but if he pulls someone over and they are carrying legally, he would prefer to know about it. Otherwise, if he sees it before the person informs him, it won't end well because there's no way to tell if that person is a threat or not. He said his number one goal each time he's on duty is to go home to his wife & kids at the end of his shift.

Personally, going on these ride-alongs has given me a different perspective on LEO's and what they deal with. For that reason, I will inform if I ever get pulled over while carrying.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to be in the inform right away camp. Not any more. There are a few officers that will draw on you until you are disarmed (it has been reported here and elsewhere so it happens). I don't want or need that.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've been doing some ride-alongs with a local Deputy. He's a good guy, pro 2A and always carries off duty. I asked him his opinion on this subject. He basically said there's no quicker way to get yanked from your car and have your face planted in the pavement than them seeing a firearm by surprise. He's all for people carrying, but if he pulls someone over and they are carrying legally, he would prefer to know about it. Otherwise, if he sees it before the person informs him, it won't end well because there's no way to tell if that person is a threat or not. He said his number one goal each time he's on duty is to go home to his wife & kids at the end of his shift.

Personally, going on these ride-alongs has given me a different perspective on LEO's and what they deal with. For that reason, I will inform if I ever get pulled over while carrying.

Oh hell no. This guy is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Please encourage him to act within the scope of his authority and reasonable suspicion of danger rather than abusing his power based upon his preferences and fears.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh hell no. This guy is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Please encourage him to act within the scope of his authority and reasonable suspicion of danger rather than abusing his power based upon his preferences and fears.

Exactly. I'd hope all people given the authority to be an officer of the law have thick enough skin to not freak out and go nuts when they see a gun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I can only remember being pulled over for speeding once since I started carrying, which is about 12 years. My pistol was in an OWB holster laying in the front seat next to me in my ranger. Before the officer came to my passenger window I already had my DL, registration, and carry LTC permit in hand ready to give. My gun was partly covered by my lunch sack. Once he seen my permit, he asked if there were any weapons in the truck. I said yes, it's right here. I pulled back my lunch sack to fully expose the gun. He said thanks for letting him know, went back to his car and ran a check, then came back to me with a warning ticket and said have a good day.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

I'd be happy to let a clown like this "plant my face" in the pavement just because he happened to see a firearm in my vehicle!
    Surely your deputy friend is not that much of a JBT!?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My wife got pulled over awhile back. Since the LTCH is connected to the DL, the LEO came back and asked "Do you have a gun?" "Yeah" she said. "In the future, you need to tell me" he said.

I of course corrected that lie when she told me about it.

What's with LEO and lying. Know the law, people. They will make it up on the spot.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Be courteous and polite, follow directions, but offer nothing not requested or required! Never lie to a LEO! Telling the LEO "I have a gun" might be taken the wrong way!
    I got stopped and LEo saw my ltch, and asked about a gun. I told him yes, and he ran the Sn's to make sure it wasn't "stolen". I also then informed him of the other guns also in the truck. I Guess 1 gun not stolen makes them all NOT stolen. (nope he didnt run any more sn's, very strange,......imho)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Be courteous and polite, follow directions, but offer nothing not requested or required! Never lie to a LEO! Telling the LEO "I have a gun" might be taken the wrong way!
    I got stopped and LEo saw my ltch, and asked about a gun. I told him yes, and he ran the Sn's to make sure it wasn't "stolen". I also then informed him of the other guns also in the truck. I Guess 1 gun not stolen makes them all NOT stolen. (nope he didnt run any more sn's, very strange,......imho)

Why even answer the question when an officer asks? Just look at him.
    Again, my response is "nothing illegal"!

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    As indicated several times here, these folks have a dangerous job. I have yet to be stopped when CC. I have been trained to ALWAYS let the officer know that " I have a firearm in the car" and that I have a valid CC Lic. This is to let them know ahead of time. If the officer ran the Lic Plate before the stop, they may already know you are a Lic CC and the decision to inform would verify what they can find out easily, and may put them at ease knowing where the firearm is located.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I was stopped for having a headlight out a few weeks back, I didn't tell either.
    Frankly, I didn't even think about it.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    As indicated several times here, these folks have a dangerous job. I have yet to be stopped when CC. I have been trained to ALWAYS let the officer know that " I have a firearm in the car" and that I have a valid CC Lic. This is to let them know ahead of time. If the officer ran the Lic Plate before the stop, they may already know you are a Lic CC and the decision to inform would verify what they can find out easily, and may put them at ease knowing where the firearm is located.
    Who "trained" you?
    what state are you in?

Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    I would think it's best to be up front. I have nothing to hide from LEO's and think it would set a better tone for them knowing that I was providing that information. I would not want them to be surprised.

Top Bottom