• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've had this building fire system sprinkler in a box in my closet ever since my grandpa gave it to me. It is it's own individual unit so when/if it went off you just replaced it. Imagine a fire extinguisher with no hose, gauges, shortened down, and it has a sprinkler head where the controls would go. It also opens up so you can visually inspect the sealed glass tank with the chemical in it. I figured it had water in it. I figured wrong. Apparently it has some chemical that sucks the oxygen out of the air to suffocate the fire. And the only thing keeping the family from accidental asphyxiation is a very old mercury bulb I'd assume.

I can't find any info on these and I don't want to dig for it, but what exactly do I have, and how do I "deactivate" it? What might it be worth? And how dangerous is it exactly?

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name
    I believe the chemical inside is

halon (ˈhælɒn)

— n
    any of a class of chemical compounds derived from hydrocarbons by replacing one or more hydrogen atoms by bromine atoms and other hydrogen atoms by other halogen atoms (chlorine, fluorine, or iodine). Halons are stable compounds that are used in fire extinguishers, although they may contribute to depletion of the ozone layer

Halon systems are use entensively in computer room installations, since electronics do not fair well when water is applied.

They will deplete the oxygen in the area to a point that it can be life threatening.

You might get help from your local fire department on how to get rid of the device.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I believe the chemical inside is

halon (ˈhælɒn)

— n
    any of a class of chemical compounds derived from hydrocarbons by replacing one or more hydrogen atoms by bromine atoms and other hydrogen atoms by other halogen atoms (chlorine, fluorine, or iodine). Halons are stable compounds that are used in fire extinguishers, although they may contribute to depletion of the ozone layer

Halon systems are use entensively in computer room installations, since electronics do not fair well when water is applied.

They will deplete the oxygen in the area to a point that it can be life threatening.

You might get help from your local fire department on how to get rid of the device.

That summed it up pretty much. Doubt its worth much of anything, but I know a lot of firefighters that collect the old school stuff (and Im sure to a few this would meet the criteria).

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Old time fire equipment and tools of the trade can go for big bucks.

I'd check with someone before you just 'give it away'.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Halon will not kill you right away, it gives you a short amout of time to get out of the area. You will feel a tightening of the chest and know it is time to leave.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just move it to a room that makes sense. Laundry room, garage, etc. Someplace where fires are more likely to start (laundry room is a big one) and that isn't a place occupied by people who are asleep.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chances are decent that it's NOT Halon.

Halon was generally only used in specific areas of buildings where water-based fire suppression couldn't be used due to lots of electronics & such that couldn't get wet. Think "server rooms" and "control rooms" and the like.

Chances are much much higher that it's just a generic dry chemical or CO2 canister.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Halon is breathable and it is used in sealed and confined spaces, used primarily in computer control rooms, but it needs to be confined to reach the proper concentration, you can be in the room with it

Co2 systems have similar applications, again if they are supplying a confined space, it is a sealed area. With co2 systems an alarm will sound prior to discharge, giving you time to escape, they are not survive able. Signs are posted in these areas warning you of the danger.

Cool thing about halon, we have all seen people take a hit of helium and they sound like chipmunks, halon has the reverse effect, your voice will drop several octaves!

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    If you're thinking of getting rid of it, defiantely take the time to research its value. If it's old or unique, fire fighting equipment can be valuable. There are a lot of collectors out there. I see you're in Greenwood area, you could take it to Koorsen's. They service fire extinguishers and suppression systems in commercial applications alll over central Indiana. I have talked to some of the guys before about old fire extinguishers I had and they seemed knowledgable and offered to help find parts for repairs. THere are also other companies like this, but that was the only one that came to mind when I was reading this.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    If you are wanting to get rid of it.... Ever thought of donating it to the Firefighter's Museum on Mass. Ave? They have a great little museum and may also be a source of good info for you. It could be tax deductible...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Heh, Randy Koorsen is a friend of my older brothers, from way back, like high school. I guess his dad started the business.

Anyway, if it's halon, you probably don't have a need for it yourself, but I bet you could get some good money for it. It's one of those evil CFCs the green weenies got all bent out of shape about and it's been banned. Halon doesn't require a sprinkler, though; it comes out as a gas. If it's carbon tetrachloride (tetrachloromethane) I might be interested in it myself. You can't get that much anymore either.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    At the risk of derailing your thread, I post the following: When I first read the title the old game popped into my head. We used to play this a lot as a kid at least until someone would get antsy and throw it too hard and hit my sister....er...someone in the face with it. Anyone remember this "Time Bomb"
    o_timebomb1.jpg

Ok, sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Chances are decent that it's NOT Halon.

Halon was generally only used in specific areas of buildings where water-based fire suppression couldn't be used due to lots of electronics & such that couldn't get wet. Think "server rooms" and "control rooms" and the like.

Chances are much much higher that it's just a generic dry chemical or CO2 canister.

i agree in the steel mill i work in we have these systems on a larger scale called CARDOX systems they emit a wintergreen smell then 30 seconds later they flood the control room with co2 to displace the oxygen in the room. outside these rooms there are huge tanks full of the co2

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Tetrachloride.

Could be filled with what the old style glass fire bombs were filled with. Carbon Tetrachloride which is some pretty nasty stuff especially around high heat.

This is what you are describing in the Op. We had them mounted in the ceiling of my families cabinet shop back in the 50's and early 60's. We replaced them with Co2 and a sprinkler system in about 1965 as they really were just about as hazardous as letting the place burn. :rolleyes: They looked like these.

SFFDMuseumWaterGrenades_zpseb4425f9.jpg

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would contact Koorsen. They actually have a fire extinguisher museum, at their shop on the East side of Indy. They may be interested in buying it from you, at the very least you can find out for sure what it is.

Top Bottom