So I just started carrying and I already got a scare...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I was over at my fiance's aunt's house which is in a pretty run down part of town. We're inside chatting with some of her family and she asks me to run out to her car to grab her laptop. I go ahead and do it, since I am such a nice, humble guy :D and as I'm heading back in, a guy I've never seen before in some shabby clothes comes walking across the street towards the door of their house like he had a purpose. He looked like he was on drugs really bad. I kept an eye on him, but didn't acknowledge him and walked in the door, closing it behind me. He walked in after me, and it turns out he was related to them and he was talking to her uncle's brother about turning himself in for something because he's wanted for breaking and entering, or burglary or something like that. He looked like he was on drugs because he was an addict. He seemed like a nice guy, but it made me nervous. Apparently he's known my fiance since she was little, and both her and the rest of her family seemed completely comfortable around him so I loosened up a little, but it was comforting to know that I was packing heat and could use it if need be.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Your pretty young aren't you???

No offense meant by that comment but I am guessing..

Growing up in Chicago and NWI I am accustomed to addicts, dealers, hookers, any other BG you can imagine. It is good to always be aware of your surroundings and the people in it but as you carry for a longer length of time and grow older you will take comfort in always knowing it is there if you need but you will realize 99.99% of the time you don't need it.

It is that .01% of the time why I carry.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Your pretty young aren't you???

No offense meant by that comment but I am guessing..

Growing up in Chicago and NWI I am accustomed to addicts, dealers, hookers, any other BG you can imagine. It is good to always be aware of your surroundings and the people in it but as you carry for a longer length of time and grow older you will take comfort in always knowing it is there if you need but you will realize 99.99% of the time you don't need it.

It is that .01% of the time why I carry.

its because winchester is a smaller "rural" based community vs "da region"......its not an everyday occurrence down this way

it sucks, but better to be prepared

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    It is hard to let instinct react when in general society. I make it a habit to get away from druggies and no goodnicks.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Yes, I am young, in fact, I'm just turning 22 this week. And the house we were at was actually in Richmond, so it's a little rougher than Winchester, but still pretty easy going.
    It is hard to let instinct react when in general society. I make it a habit to get away from druggies and no goodnicks.

A lot of her family and their friends are like that. I trust a few of them, but there are a lot that I always have an eye on too. It just so happened that I'd never seen this particular family member before. I'm trying to persuade my fiance how important that .01% can be. On the upside, She said she likes the looks of a P22, which is a start. :D

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Were you a Boy Scout? "Be prepared" First rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. Second is to keep a cool head. Sounds like you were prepared and all was well.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm not trying to be a smart-***, but where was the scary part? I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, and I was not there, or have no idea what this guy was acting like, but, other than the guy looking like a dope head, and wearing shabby clothes, what did he do that made you think you may have to defend yourself? You just described about 80% of the people I see every day. I probably judge a book by it's cover as much, if not more, than most people, and I keep my eyes on people, especially shady looking ones. I'm interested in what caused the alarm with this particular guy?

I'm not ragging you by the way. I am glad to know there are others who keep themselves alert, and watch what goes on around them. Just interested in the details.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I'm not trying to be a smart-***, but where was the scary part? I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, and I was not there, or have no idea what this guy was acting like, but, other than the guy looking like a dope head, and wearing shabby clothes, what did he do that made you think you may have to defend yourself? You just described about 80% of the people I see every day. I probably judge a book by it's cover as much, if not more, than most people, and I keep my eyes on people, especially shady looking ones. I'm interested in what caused the alarm with this particular guy?

I'm not ragging you by the way. I am glad to know there are others who keep themselves alert, and watch what goes on around them. Just interested in the details.

I think you come from a different neck of the woods than I do lol. I'm not exactly in contact with people like that everyday, so it makes me rather uncomfortable in the first place, but even more so when he's walking towards the house like he's on a mission. Also, his jacket was rather baggy, so he could have easily been hiding a weapon.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Were you a Boy Scout? "Be prepared" First rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. Second is to keep a cool head. Sounds like you were prepared and all was well.

I thought the second rule was to have another gun? And the third rule was to bring your buddies with all their guns ?????? Am I missing something here ?

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Im from Richmond there brotha and let me tell you about a third of the people you run across are addicts. Id imagine you were probably on the Northside or the middle blocks of the Southside (8th-15th) werent ya? You can run into some pretty unsavory characters down there. Way to stay alert.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Im from Richmond there brotha and let me tell you about a third of the people you run across are addicts. Id imagine you were probably on the Northside or the middle blocks of the Southside (8th-15th) werent ya? You can run into some pretty unsavory characters down there. Way to stay alert.

I was on the northside, the house is about two hundred feet from the Tally Ho Pub if that helps you. :):

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    Last time I was in Richmond the number looked a bit higher than 1/3. Tons of addicts everywhere,seemed to me on my last visit,half of the town was on heroin.
    I keep my distance from certain family members for this reason.
    I like the fact that IN honors Texas CC permits!

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Last time I was in Richmond the number looked a bit higher than 1/3. Tons of addicts everywhere,seemed to me on my last visit,half of the town was on heroin.
    I keep my distance from certain family members for this reason.
    I like the fact that IN honors Texas CC permits!

I was just trying to be nice lol. There seems to be a growing drug and violence problem in Richmond. Thats why I moved.

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I don't think seeing people as a threat is being presumptuous, just don't get funneled into just one perceived threat. It is usually the one you don't see that gets you! CY6

Top Bottom