• ...and so much more!
  • linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    So I rebuilt my transmission valve body today

Let me tell you… The things I do to save a buck.. lol…

Quick back story:
    I kept receiving a P0745 = Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction code, and the car was getting the shakes around 35-45 mph, ie I was losing 3 gear!..

Apparently this is common problem with the ford 5r55n trans, the shops will all recommend it time to replace the trans @ $3,000+/- .. WRONG!.. It’s just time to spend $7.50 on a new 4-3 “prestroke valve spring and about 5 -6hrs of labor..

So this is how I did it, for what its worth.. Yes / note.. This was my first time doing anything like this, but considering the cars runs fine now, I’m calling it a huge success for the average Joe..

So sit back, light em if you got them.. Ladies and Gentlemen of INGO, I present to you the DIY on rebuilding your Valve body, linkpimp style.. ie through horrible grammar and but nice bight Pics.. ;)

Raise the car and support all side with jack stands

IMG_9052.jpg

Remove the positive cable from the battery, Drain the trans fluid, remove the oxygen sensor connector block and disconnect the Sensor. Once that has been completed you can now remove the trans pan.

IMG_9053.jpg

Now it should look something like this, remove the filter, it just 3 screws.. you can do it…

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

WOW / Holly poop link!, now what?? Well let me tell you.. hahahahaa sorry..
    Ok, here is the bottom of the VB looking up with the filter removed, now we need to remove the following components:
    • Pressure switch
    • Reverse servo
    • Solenoid body
    • Valve body plate and gasket
    • Control body Separator plate
    • Remove the remainder of the bolts and drop the valve body
    IE.. Everything in the pic above comes off.. just keep the bolts separated and you’ll be fine..

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

Here’s the valve body bottom side

IMG_9066.jpg

Upper side

IMG_9067.jpg

Remove the 3 bolts that hold on the VB gasket and remove the gasket, slide it off, do not lift it up!..

IMG_9068.jpg

Ok now it’s time to take out the parts you purchased, I decided to rebuild my entire valve body since I was here, you don't have to.

IMG_9062.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

Now you simply push-in the valves and pull the retaining pin / clips and gently remove the existing components.

Here’s what I’ve got going on

IMG_9071.jpg

And here’s my problem!... just as the internet “foretold” hahaha this little cheep $7.00 spring almost cost me $3000.. The success of the this project came down to research..

IMG_9073.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Now reinstall everything in the reverse order it was removed.

Time to refill the trans…

IMG_9077.jpg

Yes… I know, I know they say it’s a “sealed trans” BS.. This is no biggie at all.. simply remove the center screw on the trans drain plug and then unscrew the trans fill screw (just above the pan on the driver side) and fill it up.. once oil starts to come out the drain plug center, add the plug and now your about 2 quarts away for it coming out the fill whole.. Basically any sealed trans is handled like any rear-end gear box people.. Just incase you didn’t know..

Once your trans is filled, replace the screw and while it’s still on jack stands, start it up, push on the brake and run it through the gears, this will suck up some oil.

Let it run for a while and then recheck your fluid level..

Once your confident your trans is full, double check everything, remove the jack stands and go for a trouble free test drive..

Builder note:
    The only thing that surprised was when I removed the VB from the trans (1) spring fell out.. This is the main spring.. Don’t lose it and put it back when you reassembling the VB to the trans

When you remove the VB gasket from the VB, please look inside the VB, you’ll see two small ball balls, don't lose them!..

When your reassembling the VB parts, PLEASE do not over tighten!.. It’s only 10 MN people, snug tight here!..

Total project length for me was 5 hrs, not bad considering it was my first time..
    Total cost for me was just under $100 for everything oil included

These were the tools used for the project

IMG_9078.jpg

I hope you found this helpful

Thanks for your time everybody and have a great one

Link

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It isn't too bad of a job unless a spring or a check ball gets away from you. Looks like you kept it much more organized than some jobs I've seen. Always sucks when you're working near someone and they're like "aww man another one got away, wanna help me find it real quick", usually turns into 2 long jobs.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    +1 for doing it yourself.

Most times when people have issues with automatic transmissions they either pay $$$ and have a new one installed or they ditch the vehicle all together.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I worked in a transmission shop through High school. Watched a few Transmissions being built.
    +1 for you for tackling this yourself!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    a jaguar, i've heard from multiple sources that it's rare to find a jag with over 30,000 miles with the original transmission, and if you're lucky enough to hit 60,000 or so, you'll be on your third.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    hell Ford owns Jag, so no surprises there!

Ford auto having an issue, no surprises there! ;)

Ive done something similar a few times but it was always to make it shift better, never had to try and fix one yet. Great write up!!!

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Looks like you had the right tools for the job. To me that is half the battle. I swapped the mt in a toyota celica a few years back. Didn't have an engine hoist and the adapter for my jack bent the first time out. My father hoisted the tranny with a dog leash and i got underneath to bolt it into place. Not any fun and a few months later the cam to the accessory belt came apart. I let her go after that.

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Hey thanks team.. but working on cars is nothing too new for me, luckily my DAD was a
    mechanic and I’m pretty sure I was the only 14 yr old in my school who knew how to rebuild a chevy 350, 4 bolt main.. lol.. But these new cars suck to work on.. OMG everything is such a pain in the Butt…

When I had money, I just paid to get it done and didn’t think twice about, but now.. hahaha.. yeah I’ve done my research, it’s pretty much a Ford drive train. Actually 90% of the Lincon LS is the same drive train.. For what’s its worth..

I also just (well a few weeks ago) had to replace all four timming belts.. total job took me 25 hours.. OMG talk about a pain in the butt.. Here’s some highlights from that project..

Again… the things I do to save a buck.. hahaa

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

Ooohhh and here’s what a duel cam, 16 valve cylinder head looks like.. just incase you’ve never seen one.. I was my first time.. I thought it was pretty cool..

IMG_8452.jpg

Tools used for this project.

IMG_8497.jpg

These were the specialty tools I had to buy.. want to guess how much.. Hold on to something.. $450.00 Yep!... What to guess how many more times I’ll actually ever use these tools.. hahaa

IMG_8506.jpg

Actually the shop wanted 4k for this work.. It cost me just under $1000 in parts and a few days of research.. I’ve never did anything like this! (four belts and everything else) And well.. hahahaha it scared the hell out of me.. but you.. nothing ventured nothing gained..

Thanks again for your time team..

Have a great Sunday everybody..

Link

Last edited:
    Top Bottom