• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Acquired this NIB Gen3 19. I really like the feel of my Gen4 19 but the Gen3's grip texture needs work IMO. So I grew a pair and stippled it. I knew it wasn't gonna be a professional job but I wasn't going to pay $300+ for someone else to do it. First priority was for functionality. No fancy border. Basic starburst pattern. I'm satisfied with it. Have about a total of 5hrs invested including sanding/prepping.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Looks nice! I use the little circle stippling which takes about 20 minutes but doesn't lwork ok anywhere near that cool.

I'll probably end up doing a basic dot stipple on my Shield 9. Nothing fancy, just the front and back straps. The rubber talon grips are starting to peel back. That way I won't need to spend another $17 on talons to just have them do the same thing again in 2yrs

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From a purely aesthetic standpoint, that's got to be one of the best stippling jobs I've seen. Well done.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Very nice. .would you please share what specific tool and tips you used to get that pattern/texture. PLease

Used a Weller solder iron. It came with 2 tips that are basically flat head screwdriver. I used the wider of the 2. Then it came with a point tip also. Used a dremel with 120 grit and took off most of the side panels and rear factory stipple then finished it up with 120 by hand. Then took 1000 grit and got it slick. Made a plus sign in the rear and then take your lines out from there. First lines need to be the horizontal and vertical and then x through. Keep dividing each angle in half till it's filled in

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    That looks really good! Did you practice on a PMAG or something first?

Nah, just dove in. I watched lots of YouTube vids and went really slow. I didn't care if I screwed it up cause I was going for function mainly. One thing I did learn was to not drink 2 cups of coffee right before trying to stipple. I made my plus sign on the rear and realized I better wait till the next day to finish due to not holding a steady hand

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I am generally not a fan of stippling, but that is one of the nicer jobs I have seen. The first touch with the iron had to make you just a bit nervous.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    From a purely aesthetic standpoint, that's got to be one of the best stippling jobs I've seen. Well done.

I completely agree! I'm generally not a fan of stippling. It's so... permanent, especially if you FUBAR it. But this is an exception, because that starburst pattern truly looks exceptional. Really, really well done, that came out fantastic.

Top Bottom