• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And have been reading here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bxEYoxH_g&sig2=p1wqq7500IG-Qfqm-UeK8g&cad=rja

Do you have anything to add from experience to the info contained?

Is tri-fuel worth doubling (or more) my cost?

What generator do you have and what would you change? What do you like?

Could anyone expound the the longevity of particular models?

I want to stay with a portable unit because I have family who may need it during times I do not. I welcome additional commentary as well.:ingo:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I bought a gasoline powered generator/welder. The cost isn't much different from just a generator the same size. It serves two functions this way and it get's used more. More regular use keeps it in good running condition. Getting one made to be run hour after hour for days on end makes sure you get a good generator.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I bought a gasoline powered generator/welder. The cost isn't much different from just a generator the same size. It serves two functions this way and it get's used more. More regular use keeps it in good running condition. Getting one made to be run hour after hour for days on end makes sure you get a good generator.

This is something I hadn't thought of. Could you expound on how it works? Brand?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    And have been reading here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bxEYoxH_g&sig2=p1wqq7500IG-Qfqm-UeK8g&cad=rja

I want to stay with a portable unit because I have family who may need it during times I do not. I welcome additional commentary as well.:ingo:

I have a Cummins/Onan 5kw portable, that runs on gas. I the house wired so that I can swithc over to be able to power some emergency lighting, our geothermal unit, refrigerator, deepfreeze, and microwave in the house. Still need to get the internet and cable TV circuits on it too! ;)

The nice thing about it (or other portable 5kw sets) is just that...they're portable, and usually have 2-3 regular 120VAC outlets on them that you can hook extension cords to and so on.

I think this one will run about 13 hours 1/2 load, which is probably realistic in a home based power outtage due to weather, etc. For true SHTF or cases of being off the grid for more than a few days, something with a larger fuel tank and / or capability to run off of propane would be a +, since it stores better long term than gasoline.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I have some experience with these portables, both work well, for different purposes:

A true classic, very quiet and handy for power tools: Honda Power Equipment - EU2000i

Powers most essential loads, fairly quietly, can be rolled around:
    Cummins Onan

My experience is Honda inverter generators are the best there is, the most quiet and worth the extra $. Also parts are available at dealers. I have noticed that Amish people that depend on generators seem to prefer Honda, may be a clue.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is something I hadn't thought of. Could you expound on how it works? Brand?

Miller - Engine-Driven Welders - Bobcat™ 250

This is the exact welder I used and saw used and abused daily for years and years bouncing all over rough factory floors on the back of break down cars with hard rubber tires, over loaded and run until the overloads trip all day long over and over for weeks. They are used at construction sights all over the world where they are depended on to start, run, perform on demand in every weather condition in existance.

Welders are built with a rated "duty cycle" they can run at their maximum output with out ruining it. It just trips until it cools off and you stick a new rod in the stinger and go until it trips again. It takes a frigging 1/4 inch rod to trip this welder and you have to run it with out stopping for a couple hours.

I wanted one "exactly like that one". are the exact words I used when buying it. The price at the Miller link isn't what it cost. The MSRP is the absolute highest price you can pay for one.

I set it up on a skid with attachments for the 3 pnt hitch and placements for extension cords, lights, full size industrial torches, grinders all the common weld/fab job tools. Ten minutes after a phone call I can be loading it in the back of a pick up truck, carrying it through a muddy field on a tractor, or to the house to power every heater furnace, refrigerator, freezer, air conditioner and light in the house and probably the neighbors too if I wanted.

I think it will get any job done I can imagine at home.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have some experience with these portables, both work well, for different purposes:

A true classic, very quiet and handy for power tools: Honda Power Equipment - EU2000i

Cummins Onan

My experience is Honda inverter generators are the best there is, the most quiet and worth the extra $. Also parts are available at dealers. I have noticed that Amish people that depend on generators seem to prefer Honda, may be a clue.

That Onan set you linked is the exact one that I have. :yesway:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Cummins Onan

We have one of those Hondas at work; they use it to power a window unit a/c for the mower cab. . . :rolleyes:

I want something with more "umph"; 5k or so. . .The Honda in that range is running close to $2000. . . Worth it?

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Last year, I kept my two freezers and two refrigerators and my son in law's refrigerator and freezer cold by rotating my little 1.6KW generator. It was mighty stingy on fuel also. We were without power for 5 or six days. Couldn't get out to get more gas and didn't know how long we were going to be down. I had a 3.2KW and 5 KW generator but was afraid the fuel would run out. I now have a 17KW generac that runs on propane. I have a 250 gallon Propane tank that is on keep full. I hope I never need that one as it consumes about a gallon an hour on half load. I got the generac free otherwise I would only have the smaller units as they will suffice for my needs. Remember that in a long term SHTF scenario, fuel will be at a premium and I for one will not be running all my refrigeration. I will run them long enough to dry all my meat if necessary. I use kerosene or white gas for lamps. I have one batch of control white gas that has been stored for 15 years in sealed containers and it is still usable. Kerosene or diesel also stores for over a couple years if kept sealed and away from heat. Think simple and don't worry about running the microwave, hair dryers, pc's, or any other non essential appliance. Simple is easy and simple is sustainable for longer periods. Be prepared!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That looks nice, Price?

I got mine for $500 earlier this fall, but that was at an employee discount price. Not sure what they go for retail, but can check if you'd like. I'm betting they are in the $550 range.

When I was considering ordering it, I priced out a similar output Honda set at Home Depot that was in the $475 price range. So, you're probably talking $450 - $600 or so for a 5kw portable set by a reputable mfg.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Cummins Onan

I used to sell a few generators at my former job. The Honda EU2000i is a fantastic generator. Very quite and efficient. The nice thing about the inverters is that you can run things like computers or other electronics off of them. A 2000 watt generator will not run a house, but they can be very handy. If I wanted to spend the $1000, this would be my choice.

I have been thinking about a generator myself. Basically so I could run some space heaters and lights in case of a power outage. Maybe the fridge in the summer if the power goes out. If I get one I would like one big enough to run the airconditioner in my popup camper. Just not sure what the power requirements would be.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I used to sell a few generators at my former job. The Honda EU2000i is a fantastic generator. Very quite and efficient. The nice thing about the inverters is that you can run things like computers or other electronics off of them. A 2000 watt generator will not run a house, but they can be very handy. If I wanted to spend the $1000, this would be my choice.

I have been thinking about a generator myself. Basically so I could run some space heaters and lights in case of a power outage. Maybe the fridge in the summer if the power goes out. If I get one I would like one big enough to run the airconditioner in my popup camper. Just not sure what the power requirements would be.

Here's a good site to help determine power requirements.
    Cummins Onan

As an FYI, a normal house will need somewhere between 12-20kw if you run everything all at once, including HVAC, etc.

5kW should be plenty for your camper, as well as basic lighting and HVAC for a house in a power outtage.

P.S. The christmas lights on your house look nice...saw them on my way to Home Depot tonight. ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thank you. I figured 20 amp @ 120v = 3600 watts should be enough. So a quality 4000 watt generator. I really like the looks of the EU3000i Honda (which claims to be able to power RV units), but no way I am parting with $2000. I get a discount at the Farm & Pet store and will probably get one there. They stock 4000 and 8000 watt units.

Appreciate the comment on the lights. Wife even did the shrubs, but we have to get a different extension cord to light them up. I really hate putting up lights, but my reward is that she will take some firearms training with me.

Thunder219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    i bought a N/A 6 cylinder cummins/onan 25kw three phase 17kw single phase in a precast box with a 190 gal tank. it has 3xx hours on it and i gave about $7k for it. should be big enough to run my house. i didn't really want a diesel genset but somehow i talked myself into buying it. thought about just selling it and buying a natural gas like i wanted. i haven't got in hooked up yet but i'm hoping sometime next year i'll have a pad poured for it next to my house. should be quite enough in a concrete box.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One thing I have noticed in almost every "Generator" thread is that there are 2 basic schools of thought on these things (with some sub-groups). Strikes me that before you get into any sort of real discussion about how to do it and what to buy you need to make a decision on which camp of people you fall into and that will help you set your budget and let you determine if things like Tri-Fuel would be viable for your home set up, if you want to suppliment with solar or wind energy, battery back up, etc.

Group 1 = Permanent Installation people
    ~ these are people who want to power up a large portion of their home or their whole house. This typically involves are large $ investment and may include manual or automatic transfer switches, dedicated fuel (typically propane) storage tanks, hard plumbed gas lines, etc.

Group 2 = Portable "Get-by" people ~ these are the folks who want to use a small portable gen-set and run a few circuits, protect their food, power their furnace, but really only cover the very basics. These range from the quality Onan and Honda devotees to the cheap chinese circuitry from Habor Freight.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    One thing I have noticed in almost every "Generator" thread is that there are 2 basic schools of thought on these things (with some sub-groups). Strikes me that before you get into any sort of real discussion about how to do it and what to buy you need to make a decision on which camp of people you fall into and that will help you set your budget and let you determine if things like Tri-Fuel would be viable for your home set up, if you want to suppliment with solar or wind energy, battery back up, etc.

Group 1 = Permanent Installation people
    ~ these are people who want to power up a large portion of their home or their whole house. This typically involves are large $ investment and may include manual or automatic transfer switches, dedicated fuel (typically propane) storage tanks, hard plumbed gas lines, etc.

Group 2 = Portable "Get-by" people ~ these are the folks who want to use a small portable gen-set and run a few circuits, protect their food, power their furnace, but really only cover the very basics. These range from the quality Onan and Honda devotees to the cheap chinese circuitry from Habor Freight.

I am in the "get-by" camp for now. If I was where I wanted to be I would be looking at more permanent installations. I live sixty feet from neighbors on both sides on the outskirts of a small town. If TEOTWAKI occurs, I'm screwed no matter my power plan.

I would love to have a supplemental power source like wind or solar, and of the two solar is probably the more viable option, but both require more money than I have to spend right now.

I am getting in the game late; it took a job loss and subsequent hardship to realize I wasn't ready for anything. We were living in a rural trailer and had an ice-related outage in the winter of '08-'09. I had no space heater, no water (well with no pump), and no source of electricity. I had to have Grandma get the kids and wife and beg a torpedo heater off my former boss to keep the place from freezing up. I now have a good job, a house, some emergency money and supplies, and am looking to expand my preparedness.

After the generator, it's time to start saving for three hundred acres. . . :):

Top Bottom