So, I went Clay shooting for the first time...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    So, this past weekend I went skeet shooting for the first time. And I must say, I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING LOVED IT. :hooked:

So, now I've decided that the next gun I'm going to buy is going to be a shotgun.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner like myself? I want a pump and something that could be used for both home defense and clays?

My budget is $150-$300. I know... I like to spend a lot of money. XD :spend:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'll bet Clay wasn't too happy about this????:):

Yeah, my first thought was "OMG is he ok?" Then I thought about the estate sale (sorry clay)

On topic though, sounds like you want a combination package. Both Remington (870) and Mossberg (500) market the shotguns with both short cylinder bore barrels and longer field barrels.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    One thing to consider - if you are shooting skeet, it may be a bit challenging to shoot doubles with a pump. I know there are folks that do it successfully, but many people will go for a semi-auto or over/under to make doubles a bit easier. It may be tough to find a semi-auto or over/under in your price range, but thought I'd throw that out for consideration.

Glad you got a chance to try shooting clays and that you enjoyed it. Have fun!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Please don't misunderstand what I am about to say. I am not intending to insult you. But many people go out back and shoot clay pigeons and call it Trap or Skeet which are very different games with specific rules.

You can shoot all three with one shotgun, but some variations work better with one or the other.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Save your money and get a Beretta over/under or a Browning semi auto. It wont take much longer to save the money and get something you will enjoy much more for the sport of skeet or trap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Since you know that you already like shooting clay targets, I would work on your budget and by the right shotgun the 1st time.
    I have found that a person is generally better off with a good used quality gun in great condition such as a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 391 than a new one of those cheap chinese copies. A good quality brand name gun will also retain it's value when you decide you need to move up to something of higher grade.

By the way, welcome to the world of target shotguns!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Glad you enjoyed skeet. We try to get out and shoot skeet (occasionally trap) once a week, when the weather breaks. We are going to try starting next week.

Get out and shoot at a nice club. Try other shotguns as much as possible. Most shooters are happy to let you try their gun. As stated above, get a good gun. As to Beretta or Browning, try them out. I, as well as a few buddies, shoot the Browning better. Berettas just don't fit us well. Others find Beretta fits them better. Try several guns and see which fits you best. Enjoy the shotgun games. They are lots of fun and a nice way to enjoy the outdoors.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Stoeger M2000 Semi-Auto Shotgun, I got 1 it works well only had 1 problem and it was an easy fix. (add the rcoil reducer, for 75.00 more), check the the reviews, and you can try mine

Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    I'll bet Clay wasn't too happy about this????:):

Well, he's a bit... shattered over the incident. :):

snorko said:
    Yeah, my first thought was "OMG is he ok?" Then I thought about the estate sale (sorry clay)

On topic though, sounds like you want a combination package. Both Remington (870) and Mossberg (500) market the shotguns with both short cylinder bore barrels and longer field barrels.

Estate sale is this weekend at your nearest club. All his "relatives" will be there.

My buddy has an 870 and it was pretty fun and easy to shoot.

I'm not to worried about using a pump. I think adds a bit more of a challenge, and I like that. I haven't had the chance to shoot an O/U yet... but I've seen a few and they just make me drool. :drool:

Whip_McCord said:
    Glad you enjoyed skeet. We try to get out and shoot skeet (occasionally trap) once a week, when the weather breaks. We are going to try starting next week.

Get out and shoot at a nice club. Try other shotguns as much as possible. Most shooters are happy to let you try their gun. As stated above, get a good gun. As to Beretta or Browning, try them out. I, as well as a few buddies, shoot the Browning better. Berettas just don't fit us well. Others find Beretta fits them better. Try several guns and see which fits you best. Enjoy the shotgun games. They are lots of fun and a nice way to enjoy the outdoors.

I'm more than willing to wait a little longer and save some more money to get a better gun. You mentioned Beretta or Browning. Any specific models?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I started with an 870. You just have to give it a good crank after your 1st shot. Now I use an 11-87 that I bought on black friday. The semi autos are great for not getting your shoulder beat up after shooting all day. I think stoeger was bought by benelli and have the same action as their high end semi-auto models.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Beretta 600 series (680, 682, 686, 687) has been the standard for target shotguns for a numerous decades, esp. the 682 competition models. The 682 Gold and Gold E Competition are my choices. You can get fancier from there. Perazzi, Krieghoff, Ceasar Guerini, start at double the money. I am willing to have my stocks professionally fitted. The Berettas fit me properly with very little adjustment.

I worked the World Sporting Clays championships in San Antonio twice. Semi autos are very popular in that sport. The Beretta 391 in various flavors outnumber all the other semi autos put together. Even if I didn't shoot shotguns at all, I think the proven popularity is a pretty big endorsement.

I am confident recomending either.

Tay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Plymouth
    The Beretta 600 series (680, 682, 686, 687) has been the standard for target shotguns for a numerous decades, esp. the 682 competition models. The 682 Gold and Gold E Competition are my choices. You can get fancier from there. Perazzi, Krieghoff, Ceasar Guerini, start at double the money. I am willing to have my stocks professionally fitted. The Berettas fit me properly with very little adjustment.

I worked the World Sporting Clays championships in San Antonio twice. Semi autos are very popular in that sport. The Beretta 391 in various flavors outnumber all the other semi autos put together. Even if I didn't shoot shotguns at all, I think the proven popularity is a pretty big endorsement.

I am confident recomending either.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely be doing some research tonight when I get home from work. :cool:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can use anything you want. Try it and see if you hit anything.

If you can't reach out with it, you can always put a new barrel on it.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    "I think stoeger was bought by benelli and have the same action as their high end semi-auto models." Correct and they are very nice, and at a lower price than most 12g's.
    I can say mine is a high round count, and only had 1 problem which was taken care of with no hassles. Gotta love hittin the clays!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom