So, I've got the bug again...saving for a new rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My house has never been without a mini 14 in it since the first one I bought over 30 years ago. It is a good choice for what you want to do. Especially a later model.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It would be worth it, if for no other reason than to have a rifle in the AR category without actually being an AR, especially if Ruger finally has the accuracy issues that apparently plagued the Mini-14 platform for years, as it has been said they have finally done.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I enjoy my mini-14 ranch. However it definitely lacks the effectiveness of an AR. From the mag release to the "bolt release" when reloading, it's just slightly slower. Plus parts and mags are more expensive.

plus I like the ranch more over the "tactical" versions. To me the tactical one looks like they used cheap tapco.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I would think that the mini 14 might throw some gas in your face with the way it operates. Have you considered looking at a piston AR platform as a supressor host? Even with the direct impingement ARs you can buy adjustable gas blocks or even gas regulating bolts. I think the mini 14 is a good gun in itself, but possibly not the best choice for a suppressor host. This is just my .02. On another note, my old man had a mini 14 back in the late 90s and could never get it to shoot well. He ended up trading it in for a colt HBAR ar15 and the rest has been history. Good luck, and let us know what you end up deciding on.

Top Bottom