So I've picked a caliber......just need to pick a rifle!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    .308 has been decided as my new build of choice. Now......What platform? I want semi auto , and the possibility of high cap mags. I also want some good accuracy. I know accuracy would be better in a bolt, but I am sticking to a semi auto, just want the most affordable one I can!

Advice................

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    AR Platform, you'll get good accuracy, high cap mags, and somewhat affordable (depending on your definition).

Other options wouldn't hit all those requirements. But you could look into FAL, M1A, or HK91 platforms.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The M1A is a durn good gun. A build can run into some serious money though, depending on how you go about it.
    I just bought a nice FN FAL kit, which I know nothing about. So I'm probably in over my head there. I've missed the boat on FAL mags. They are not as plentiful or cheap as they once were.
    I have never had any firsthand dealings with a 7.62 x 51 AR variant so can't comment there.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The cheapest semi-auto 308 should be a REMINGTON 74, 740, 742, 7400 If you want a military looking rifle try a CETME, If you want to spend more money SPECIAL WEAPONS & SPRINGFIELD ARMORY SAR 8

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    The following is based on my own limited personal experience:

AR type: Pros comparatively inexpensive. Good accuracy and reliable. Easy to accessorize with many shared AR15 parts. Easy maintenance. Cons: Heavy when decked out.

Ma1: Pros: Well balanced, good accuracy and reliability. relatively light.
    Cons Hit or Miss Quality- especially if purchasing used. Accuracy and reliability measured in dollars (getting that last 0.50 MOA can be costly).

FNAR: Pros: accurate and reliable. Lightest .308 I own. Cons: not easily customized. Requires some skill to detail strip (which is rarely necessary). Kinda ugly.

HK91: Pros: reliable. Combat accurate. Cons: weight, design doesn't lend itself well to precision accuracy without significant modifications - specifically welding reinforcement rails to the receiver to eliminate deformation during normal cycling. Genuine accessories are expensive. I recommend the HK93 if one wants subMOA accuracy from the roller cam platform as bolt-on subMOA accuracy is achievable without permanent modifications.

FN FAL. Pros: Reliable and well balanced. Will eat all ammo you feed it. Cons: Combat accurate and nearly impossible to improve.
    (I've previously owned IMI, DPS and Ishapore).

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Well....kind of an update .....;) I added an SKS to the safe this weekend. It is a very nice Yugo, milled receiver, grenade launcher sights, ect. So the way I see it....I'm halfway there as far as the SHTF requirements! LOL Still planning to go for the .308 AR build in the near future.......gotta build back up some funds though!

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    What about Rugers new Scout Rifle ? anyone know anything about these?
    I have just seen pictures looks nice but do not know anything about them.
    It kind of resembles the M 14 you can mount a scope on top of or foward of the reciever.

McKinney19D

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Southport Indy
    I picked up a PTR-91KPF a few months ago. Plenty of accessories available out there (MagPul PRS2 buttstock). Mags are under $5 and PTR added a heavier barrel than the HK91. Standing with irons hit a 700 yard target. Accuracy is amazing.

Top Bottom