So, Joe the VP has me thinking...maybe I should ADD a shotgun for home defense..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brdhntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Pump gun

I have a BPS also, and i love it. I think the pump may be the way to go. If you feel that you have a prowler, you can cycle the gun action. That sound is unmistakable! Not something an intruder wants to hear.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I recommend adding several! I've got an 870 myself, along with a little 20 gauge Mossberg 500 I picked up for a steal back in the fall. The 870 (even the Express) when properly massaged will make a superb HD weapon. Perhaps a 20 gauge of some sort would work for you, too? Buy a couple of each and see how it works out for ya! :D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Hey Jill, just go out on the balcony and fire both barrels into the air. If the 3 guys coming to rape and murder you are real men, they will then know that you are now totally defenseless. If they are liberals and/or members of the news media, you may have a chance.

Imagine if someone followed Biden's advice, and the perp turned out to be someone like Dorner... whoops, Jill got dead, give me an AR-15, since the bad cop has one!

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    An ar is fine if you are an operator and well trained. My concern is that the wife would likely be scared and while she hits the black regularly with the revolver, well it's a whole lot different when the target is moving and you are shaking like a leaf. I'm not sure the pistol will get the same result as a scatter gun!

ulyng

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    A shotgun is good for home defense, but a double barrel is probably the worst option because of its weight. Remington 870 is the gold standard, but I'd avoid the Express models. Mossberg 500 is even cheaper.

no express?? thats a statement. why please, why?!?

castle134

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I would ask around see if someone has a shotgun you can shoot a few rounds out of. We decided a 20ga was the way to go for my gf the 12 was too much. She can cycle the 20 pretty good and she said the mossberg felt more comfortable for her after shooting a few ones

As for Joe great advice wouldn't I get in trouble for discharge a firearm if I followed it

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I picked up a H&R Pardner Protector (18.5" barrel) for home defense for around $200 and loaded it with 00 buckshot. My wife isn't that big either (all of 5'2") but it's short enough and easy enough that she handles the recoil fine but doesn't have to be a good marksman to hit some BG in the house. Plus it being the 18.5" barrel it gets around corners and stairwell just fine.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Biden is a lawyer and a politician. What does _he_ know about home or self-defense?

I'm sorry, I don't see a double-barreled shotgun as my #1 choice for such a purpose. In fact the statement he made:

"I said, Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put that double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."

Proves to me that he doesn't know what he's talking about. This is utterly foolish, violates every safety rule in the book, and it likely illegal. I don't care if is a shotgun, firing blindly into the air is DANGEROUS!

Not only that, but now your weapon is empty. What it there are bad guys and they don't run away? Now you're in deep trouble!

What if there are two bad guys and you've double-tapped the first one with both barrels? Now you're in trouble! What if there are 3 bad guys?

Mr. Biden, stick with that you know - whatever that is. Clearly it's not firearms or defense.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would suggest looking for a Remington 870 youth model in 20 g, as it sounds like your wife isn't all that big.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Biden is a lawyer and a politician. What does _he_ know about home or self-defense?

I'm sorry, I don't see a double-barreled shotgun as my #1 choice for such a purpose. In fact the statement he made:

"I said, Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put that double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."

Proves to me that he doesn't know what he's talking about. This is utterly foolish, violates every safety rule in the book, and it likely illegal. I don't care if is a shotgun, firing blindly into the air is DANGEROUS!

Not only that, but now your weapon is empty. What it there are bad guys and they don't run away? Now you're in deep trouble!

What if there are two bad guys and you've double-tapped the first one with both barrels? Now you're in trouble! What if there are 3 bad guys?

Mr. Biden, stick with that you know - whatever that is. Clearly it's not firearms or defense.
    I'm wondering what exactly that is! Maybe we could trade him to a bananna republic for a bbq grill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am a patriotic man and I also really enjoy higher end shotguns. There has been a Ceasar Guerini Magnus grade O/U shotgun calling my name for a while. Since the economy is lean, I just was not wanting to part with that much money. Since the Vice President thinks it's a good idea, I have been thinking. Isn't it my duty as a good citizen to go ahead and order that fine shotgun? Maybe even have it custom engraved? I need an excuse to have something really nice.......Maybe I could settle for a nice used Perazzi MX8

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I found Joe Biden in the dictionary:

8500259637_185585a920.jpg

Last edited:

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    My scrawny 14 year old brother can shoot my 18" 12 gauge 870. I think your wife will be able to handle a small 12 gauge.

A 20 guage is way more effective than even the largest handgun. I bet your scrawny 14 year old brother can handle an 18" 12 gauge just fine, but he'd handle a 20 gauge even better.

jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    I have a 20 and a 12 double barrel coach gun my 16 yr old daughter who is 5 /7 and 110 soaking wet shoots them both as long as i keep 3 in mags out and by the way who believes 2 shots unseen only heard is enough to keep some meth head out of your house.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Anyone else dealt with these issues? Any recommendations?
    Mag changes are not the easiest thing to do on a Saiga but if she is in defensive mode with a 10rd mag she should be fine.

The new Benelli M2 Compact in 12 or 20 is a good choice. I am a fan of that gun anyway but the compact fills a niche for smaller shooters. I have an M2 20 with Nordic +5 mag tube on it to make it 8+1. It weighs about a pound more than a light weight AR.

I would have a hard time setting up a person with a shotgun before a large capacity handgun. Again, teaching her to use defensive posture and choke points, every target gets three shots with a handgun.

I would not put a newbie on a pump shotgun, not ever, and I have 3 870's for defense purposes but the ladies use AR's, Glocks and Benelli's.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I am a patriotic man and I also really enjoy higher end shotguns. There has been a Ceasar Guerini Magnus grade O/U shotgun calling my name for a while. Since the economy is lean, I just was not wanting to part with that much money. Since the Vice President thinks it's a good idea, I have been thinking. Isn't it my duty as a good citizen to go ahead and order that fine shotgun? Maybe even have it custom engraved? I need an excuse to have something really nice.......Maybe I could settle for a nice used Perazzi MX8

Gosh, you may be onto something here! I like your thought process... :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Joe don't know she-it. You don't need any guns to scare away bad guys. Just leave this kit on your coffee table every night or when you leave home...

a.aaa.jpg

Back on topic: I can't believe it, but I really like my son's Benelli Nova 20ga. It comes in a youth model with a shorter LOP. Great little shotgun.

shadow65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    My 12 gauge double barrel Coach gun is my favorite shot gun and one my wife is comfortable using with reduced recoil buck shot.

Top Bottom