• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I am just now starting to look for a cutting instrument. I would like it to be up to 6" and of course durable. I have also thought about a utility knife (not Swiss Army, already got one) that contains a couple of features. Please let me know what you have used in the field and why you would recommend it. Thank you for your time.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well, since you said a durable field knife up to 6" I'm assuming you mean a fixed blade knife? If so, look at the ESEE line. For the price, it's incredibly hard to beat. There are lots of options in that class, but the ESEE is priced right, high quality, and has the best warranty you could ask for in the event something does happen to it. Below is a link to their website, but I'd order through INGO's KnifeLady. She'll get you a great price and great service.

ESEE Knives

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Scrap Yard or Swamp Rat, they have to many choices you're bound to find something in your price range or style you like.

Also, the Becker BK2 is a pretty stout knife

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Seriously. Not enough info to make a helpful suggestion. Anything suggested will be a pure guess or fan oriented pick.

What will you be using it for? What features are you thinking about? Will the knife be backed up by any other tool? What is your sharpening equipment?

Price range? Willingness to maintain equipment? Primary location for use?

I could give you blanket suggestions, but it would not help you pick the best of anything, other than my favorite knives and brands.

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    Seriously. Not enough info to make a helpful suggestion. Anything suggested will be a pure guess or fan oriented pick.

What will you be using it for? What features are you thinking about? Will the knife be backed up by any other tool? What is your sharpening equipment?

I could give you blanket suggestions, but it would not help you pick the best of anything, other than my favorite knives and brands.

Just looked at you website, am I missing the price list or on-line catalog?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    There is no price list up. Yet.

As for a a catalog, I put pictures of most current models in the gallery. It will also be updated with what will be available, soon. Since right now we are pretty well just beginning a new run of different models. :)

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    My favorite knives are Fallkniven. I have several and in my opinion there is none better. Their 3g steel blades hold an edge like no other. the v10 steel is very good also.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

You seem to be missing the part of the OP where the question is posed what do you use in the field and why. I understand you're wanting to help him make a decision but you don't have o be snobby about it.

Calm down on calling out fan boys. Maybe some day you'll have a bunch of Cassel fan boys.

@OP I use the ESEE Line of knives when I'm out camping hunting or hiking. I use the 4 to gut deer, the izula II to gut and skin out small game and I use the 6 for hiking. For camping, I bring along the junglas. I just picked up a laser strike which might replace my 6 for hiking and camping.

ESEE makes a great product with a great warranty. You spoke about utility, you might look at pairing up a couple. I always have 2 ESEEs plus a folder when I'm outdoors.

Good luck

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Lol! Not being snobby. I'm being realistic. There is not enough info to make an informed choice. Every knife company in the WORLD makes a wide range of products for a reason. If each user required the same thing, it would be easy. But they do not. He mentions "features" but does not elaborate.

A suggestion of an Izula would do him no good if he is wanting a large knife for use as a lone blade in the woods. Just as a Strider BN will do him no good on a fishing trip. You can't solve anything without knowing the variables. You will end up with someone's best guess from their favorites. Again, I'm not trying to sound snotty, but its not as easy as "knife X" is what you want, when we don't know what will be asked of it.

And as far as having fanboys, I'm not making knives to create a fan club. You won't hear me chime in and suggest a knife I make. That's not how I operate. I let my work speak for itself for suggestions.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Like I said, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. Especially right now, things are tight for a lot of people. I see guys over pay for something they THOUGHT they needed or wanted, only to be disappointed and have buyers remorse..... I like to see needs, wants, and whims measured to end up at the best suggestion. No matter what product they end
    Up with.

As long as its not cold steal.....

:)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't think Cubby was being snotty in the slightest. There are about 10 bazillion options out there, and asking someone to help narrow it down before suggesting something seems rational. At least once a week, someone opens a new thread asking what knife should they buy, followed by 4 pages of "get an ESEE". Don't get me wrong, I own the entire ESEE line. But sometimes a little variety doesn't hurt :laugh: I've never seen the guy try to push his product off on anyone, and is one of the more helpful voices on this subforum. The "cutting edge" is finally drawing the attention of some custom knife guys, and I welcome it.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Nothing wrong with variety but nothing wrong with someone voicing their preference and if ESEE or Swamp Rat are their preference then so be it.:twocents:

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Nothing wrong with variety but nothing wrong with someone voicing their preference and if ESEE or Swamp Rat are their preference then so be it.:twocents:

I never said there was anything wrong with either of them, or anything else mentioned in the thread. Simply stating that to have helpful suggestions we need more info. To make an educated purchase you have to weigh the needs.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I never said there was anything wrong with either of them, or anything else mentioned in the thread. Simply stating that to have helpful suggestions we need more info. To make an educated purchase you have to weigh the needs.

My reply was not directed towards your replies. Sorry you took it that way.

Top Bottom