• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    If the registered owner of a handgun sells his gun to somebody else will he feel any repurcussions if the gun is used in a crime? My dad seems to think that the registered owner will always recieve some type of punishment, but I don't think so.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    As long as the registered owner has a bill of sale he can clear his name. Otherwise I think you will be in for a hassle, but I don't think you will get into any trouble.

And just to clarify, you guys mean there is no REQUIRED gun registration, right? Because when I bought my AR-15 they asked if I wanted to register it, and not knowing any better I did.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think he is confusing the ATF Form with the gun being registered. I did that too until a few of you guys said its no registration just a bill of sale for the dealer.
    Couldnt the police track the bullet back to the dealer, find the form, then find the person they sold it to? Thats why i always get a bill of sale.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think he may refer to the voluntary registration some Police Departments offer when you apply for a LTCH. I know the form I filled out had a place where you could "register" a hangun to you, but it was not required.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Couldnt the police track the bullet back to the dealer, find the form, then find the person they sold it to? Thats why i always get a bill of sale.

Similarly, there is no "bullet registration," THANK GOD. We gun owners do not support any registrations on any of our guns or ammo. The aide in confiscation and not to mention unfair costs and taxes.

No registration, no tracking in the Great State of Indiana. Be thankful.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    My quick answer is NO. Using that logic, if I sold a:

-Car to someone and it's used in a crime or death....repurcussions?
    -Folding knife and it's used in a crime or death....repurcussions?
    -Calculator and it's later used in a Ponzi Scheme.....repurcussions?

Make sense?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I hate seeing threads like this where people are making all kinds of assumptions about requirements like gun registration and bullet registration. Gun banners use this misconceptions to dream up new laws that they think they can sneak by because "everybody knows" it's already required. The misinformation is appalling.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I hate seeing threads like this where people are making all kinds of assumptions about requirements like gun registration and bullet registration. Gun banners use this misconceptions to dream up new laws that they think they can sneak by because "everybody knows" it's already required. The misinformation is appalling.

I love this kind of thread because they seem to result in at least one person's (probably many more people's) understanding of gun laws to be corrected. Now there is one more person (probably many more people) out there who "knows" the facts and may be aware when some gun banner is trying to pass a new law.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    My quick answer is NO. Using that logic, if I sold a:

-Car to someone and it's used in a crime or death....repurcussions?
    -Folding knife and it's used in a crime or death....repurcussions?
    -Calculator and it's later used in a Ponzi Scheme.....repurcussions?

Make sense?

If you knowingly sell to someone who is restricted from owning firearms or to someone who is a drug or alcohol abuser you could indeed be held responsible.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I love this kind of thread because they seem to result in at least one person's (probably many more people's) understanding of gun laws to be corrected. Now there is one more person (probably many more people) out there who "knows" the facts and may be aware when some gun banner is trying to pass a new law.

You're an optimist. That 1 person represents 10,000 who are never going to come here. I get discouraged by the extent of misinformation out there, but you're right, we'll take whoever we can reach and hope it seeps out to more.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You're an optimist. That 1 person represents 10,000 who are never going to come here. I get discouraged by the extent of misinformation out there, but you're right, we'll take whoever we can reach and hope it seeps out to more.

"...and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on." :D

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    If you knowingly sell to someone who is restricted from owning firearms or to someone who is a drug or alcohol abuser you could indeed be held responsible.

Key word being "knowingly" and it's a given that IF I own a business (or privately) and engage in illegal sales, then the laws are different. Look at what just happened with Michael Jackson's doctor.

Top Bottom