• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    A few months ago I got a S&W 638 as my first handgun. I selected it for how lightweight it is (and thus how easy it would be to carry) and its size (it fits my hands comfortably). However, after taking it to the range a couple times, I've discovered that it kicks way too much for me. Last time I went to the range, I shot off 50 .38 spc (not even the +P rounds) and my right hand ached something terrible through the next day. That same day I even tested out my dad's new Taurus Judge and we both agreed that that had notably less recoil. No more lightweight snub nosed revolvers for me . . .

So now I'm thinking of selling it and putting the money towards something that will be more comfortable for me to shoot and thus something I feel I can rely on to protect me. Only problem is that I don't know what's the best way to do that. I have no idea what my gun is valued at used . . . I've fired 100 rounds total out of it and obviously has no other wear. Obviously I don't want to get ripped off. Are there any recommendations on maybe which stores in the Evansville area would give me a fair price? Are stores more likely to give you a better rate (aka store credit) if you're trading it in? I don't know if it helps any, but I bought it at Whittaker Guns in Owensboro. Anyone know what kind of reputation does Gander have for buying used guns?

Any advice would be helpful really.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You would be better off selling it on the INGO forum once you get your post count up. A gunshop is going to offer you an amount that is less than it's value because they want to make money...very simple.

A decent set of grips might make it more comfortable to shoot but if think it is going to be painful you will likely flinch and that is a bad habit to acquire.

As for what it is worth...look on gunbroker and you can see what they are selling for. Look only at auctions that have bids. If no one is bidding the price is likely too high

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Well now let's look at the reason that gun exists. It's a carry gun. It's light weight means you're probably more likely to carry it more often and you'll have it if and when you need it. Trust me, if you need it to defend your life you're not going to even feel the recoil. This being said, it's not a target pistol that you will want to shoot a box or 3 through in a sitting. So do you want a comfortable carry gun, a heavier gun that's less comfortable to carry but more fun to shoot, or a nice heavy gun that soaks up the recoil? Consider what you're wanting to use the gun for and choose accordingly. Personally I'd keep the 638 as my carry gun and buy something else to shoot, but that's just me.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Maybe you should look for an all steel J or K frame size revolver and practice with light .38 spl. loads. Keep the 638 for carry. The similarities from your practice gun to your carry gun will be beneficial.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    A lot of the Judge's recoil is absorbed through the rubberized grip they have on them. Find yourself a gunshop that will open their grip packages and install grips for you and let you try. (Don't go in on a busy day and expect this type of treatment). Grips will make this more manageable, but it will by nature be a little more to handle. TomN gave you very sound advice and should be cause for thought.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well now let's look at the reason that gun exists. It's a carry gun. It's light weight means you're probably more likely to carry it more often and you'll have it if and when you need it. Trust me, if you need it to defend your life you're not going to even feel the recoil. This being said, it's not a target pistol that you will want to shoot a box or 3 through in a sitting. So do you want a comfortable carry gun, a heavier gun that's less comfortable to carry but more fun to shoot, or a nice heavy gun that soaks up the recoil? Consider what you're wanting to use the gun for and choose accordingly. Personally I'd keep the 638 as my carry gun and buy something else to shoot, but that's just me.

:+1: Well said and well reasoned. The light CCW is for serious use. Get something similar with less kick for practice. My son has an SP101 .357 magnum. We could not shoot more than six rounds. Too painful. He changed the grips to rubberized ones, used .38 lights for practice. Far less painful.

On the other hand, there is much to be said for semi-auto. More rounds; less kick; compact or subcompacts are easy to CC. Both my son and I now carry Glocks.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My back up, is a Taurus, model 85 3", I keep it loaded with +p loads.
    I practice with std., 38 loads, and my reloads. I fire 5 +p's through it,
    just to make sure I know how it shoots, and how it recoils, it has had
    rubber grips, on it forever..... people have posted real good advice,
    here.....

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN

That all makes sense, but I'm still worried about accuracy. As it is, at 7 yards in calm, relaxed conditions with a stationary silhouette target when I am taking my time, I can only occasionally hit the center of gravity . . . the rest of the time the shots go off all willy-nilly. I have tried other handguns and know that I can achieve much, much better accuracy with them. I'm worried that if I can't put the bullet where I want it in the best of conditions, how could I hope to put it where I want in a stressful life-threatening situation? Or is that not sound reasoning?

Originally I was going to select either a Glock 19 (I've yet to try the G26 to see how much recoil it has) or Ruger SP101 and I was just thinking that perhaps I should have stuck with one of those instead.

nikoteo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Evansville, IN
    A lot of the Judge's recoil is absorbed through the rubberized grip they have on them. Find yourself a gunshop that will open their grip packages and install grips for you and let you try. (Don't go in on a busy day and expect this type of treatment). Grips will make this more manageable, but it will by nature be a little more to handle. TomN gave you very sound advice and should be cause for thought.

Forgive my ignorance, but will the grips really make that much of a difference?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I never sell guns. You'll end up regretting it down the road. Let's assume you sell this revolver for a soft shooting (but heavy) Sig in .380 or 9mm. After firing 600 rounds, the friend you sold your 638 wants to try yours and you switch guns. Amazingly, the +p's are no longer painful, and regular .38's are enjoyable. Bummer, now you have to buy what you wanted in the first place again... at the new, higher, price.

Carry your 638 while you try as many other pistols as you can. When you find a new on that you like, buy it and put the revolver somewhere safe (nightstand? ;)) till you want it again. That would be maybe 6 months from the time you purchase a second handgun!

:ingo:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I understand your shooting at 7 meters, but really, most defensive shootings occur at three feet. The 7 meter combat drilling is really more for police (no, I'm not denigrating such training, I'm stating fact). Your tone indicates that you want rid of the pistol, and there is nothing wrong with that. Most of us can't afford to have spent that kind of money on a revolver we are never going to shoot, no matter what anyone says about how practical or smart it is. J frames demand practice, a lot of it, and they really aren't for someone who hasn't already been through years of Airlite's and old Chief's Specials.

I don't know your background, but if you really don't want the gun (and I really am sensing that you don't), then sell it. Go to GunsAmerica.com or Gunbroker.com and check the going rate. You might do better on an online forum, but a consignment could also be a good option. INGO is a decent place to make a quick buck and to get rid of firearms, but I've not really seen either great deals, or realistic expectations of what someone should price their firearm. Sure, sure, value is determined by what someone will pay, but that's BS. If you go to a knowledgeable seller--like a decent gun shop--they might be more inclined to work with you on trading. Most gun shops are full of....people who like guns! I've never been treated too badly, and when I felt I was, I walked. I really wouldn't go to Gander though.

Bottom line, get rid of the gun and get what you want. You have to trust yourself with your weapon. Small size is not a huge plus with conceal carry, because you have to practice with the gun a lot. Look for comfort to shoot, not comfort to carry. If you are choosing to carry, you need something that can be used at go time, not something you can't feel in the mall.

Best of luck, brother.

Last edited:

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i was fondling a 638 yesterday and my advice to you is to keep it. Forgive me if i'm wrong, but judging by your posts, you sound new to the gun world. Continue reading the forums about concealed carry and you'll find that if you want a very small gun, they usually kick pretty good. Unless you get a .22 lr. You will regret dumping the Smith shortly after letting her go. I sold an sp101 - 2" because it was too big for me to CC they way i wanted....still kicking myself for that move.

consider a semi auto??? keltec makes a .32 that might kick less and you get 6+1 rounds.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I believe that every gun has its intended purpose (ie, strengths and weaknesses). The design of any gun will be tailored around a specific use and it's abilities in other areas will then deminish. The snub, though I really like the looks of them and will eventually buy one, isn't what I personally want to carry. I'm use to carrying a compact auto and I've learned to dress around it (meaning I can conceal this size weapon just fine). If I bought a snub, it would just be because I wanted another revolver and not necessarily because I planned on carrying it. This (not for carry) would be the worst reason in the world for me to buy a snub. They're not necessarily fun to shoot, they're not the most accurate, and as you mentioned they can kick like nobody's business. It didn't make sense for me to buy one. Now, for someone who plans on carrying a lightweight snub for easy concealment, and use at short range during a self-defense senario, that is exactly what they were designed for. Grips, will make a difference like others have mentioned. The ultra light weight snubs are just going to kick harder than the heavier guns anyway. My personal opinion, get some grips you like for it, that'll help you so that you'll be able to shoot this gun enough to become comfortable with it and accurate enough to trust yourself with it. Then, get something a little bigger (heavier and longer barrel) for your "just for fun" shooting. I could shoot my GP-100 accuratly, all day long with .357's, but it weighs as much as a small child (okay, not really but it is heavy). It's heavy enough that I wouldn't carry it around all day, again this is where that trade-off of design features comes into play. It's enjoyable to shoot, but too heavy to carry for 12+ hrs per day. If you really don't think you want to keep it, selling to an individual will get you more money than selling it back to a store. Before you buy your next one, I highly suggest actually shooting whatever it is that you think you want. Rent some, find friends with various handguns and shoot theirs, whatever you have to do, but get out and put some rounds down range with a variety of them before you spend your money.

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    Another view,Your gun is a Classic, for myself it is by far the easyest gun I have to stick in a pocket & walk out the door with. I shoot mine just enough to be comfortable with it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    op, i know how you feel. the first gun i bought was a S&W 642. it was a good gun, but it wasn't for me. no matter how many rounds i put through it, i just couldnt bond with it.

i recommend doing what i did: sell your gun and get a something else. i would suggest a glock 19, but there are plenty of options out there.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    OP: I'm also in the Evansville area. If you would be interested in shooting a couple different semi-autos (glock 26, ruger lcp) let me know. If you buy the ammo, you can shoot them all you want.

Top Bottom