So my wife walks in on me while I'm eating Grape-Nuts one night....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    First glance of your title through me off. Wasn't sure where it was going.

dd951a59-15be-4181-9cd6-e7043aa12381.jpg

PPKs are a very durable little gun. I watched my brothers Walther slide down the street doing 40 mph and it came out OK. (nother story)
    As long as your wife is familiar and happy with how that gun functions. Not everyone likes them.
    Shes your wife - She'll decide for you.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It doesn't matter if a PPK is a piece of crap, if your wife wants it, buy it, it would be cheaper to get a new wife than to NOT buy her the PPK. Let me put this in to terms that you might be able to understand, purchase a PPK or get a future divorce $$$$$$$$ ( you will be eating, only grape nuts for a long, long time). I know this from experience, I didn't buy my ex-wife a PPK, but I bet my lawyer can afford to buy his wife one.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah well she's really excited about the prospects of getting one. Hopefully the ergonomics will work out for her (then again I hear it works out for most people)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but since it hasn't been asked yet, I'm gonna ask it. Has she fired, or at least held, a PPK? I, for one, knows that my wife doesn't make all decisions based on function. What information did she use to decide on the PPK?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but since it hasn't been asked yet, I'm gonna ask it. Has she fired, or at least held, a PPK? I, for one, knows that my wife doesn't make all decisions based on function. What information did she use to decide on the PPK?

Logic doesn't play a role in any of this, he can always sale the PPK when she says she wants something different.:D

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis

Not a dumb question, and that's why I was looking for alternative suggestions. There'll be someone at the show with a PPK, so we can try out the grips to see what she's comfortable with. From there we'll also look at others to see how the grips are, then we'll borrow/rent one and see how she likes firing it. We're not rushing it since it's a fair amount of money.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not a dumb question, and that's why I was looking for alternative suggestions. There'll be someone at the show with a PPK, so we can try out the grips to see what she's comfortable with. From there we'll also look at others to see how the grips are, then we'll borrow/rent one and see how she likes firing it. We're not rushing it since it's a fair amount of money.

That's the way to go right there. There are tons of great single stack 9s/.380s on the market right now. Bersa Thunder .380 might be worth looking at, because it "looks like" a PPK. I'd put the Kahr CM9 on the short list too.

...and grape nuts are awesome.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Joking aside, the PPK is a very good chice, assuming that it does fit her and she feels comfortable with it. I personally like NAA Guardians, but you might want to steer her toward a Ruger LCP or something along those lines, even a LadySmith revolver might be a good choice (They are pretty much "fool proof", load and aim, no racking the slide, no possible jams, etc.).

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Egads man! Grape Nuts? the taste & texture of that stuff is exactly like eating a bowl of drive-way gravel.

Personally I like the Walther PPK, especially the stainless model, they are very sexy pistols, but they do have a habit of being finicky about what sort of ammunition they like, so if you do buy one be prepared to try out a bunch of different ammunition offerings to find a reliable load for it, especially if the PPK is going to be used for self-defense duty.

Anyway the Bersa .380 Thunder as mentioned above is as an alternative, they are similar in appearance to the Walther PPK but they cost a lot less coin (if you are working within a budget), I don't have a lot of experience with them but everyone I know who does own one likes theirs.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Grape Nuts are a good colonic...Just sayin... I pitty the poor fool who eats a whole box though. That'll make yer heiney hurt!

Industrial Box of Poptarts? Got milk?

As to the Walther. Always remember two things. "Do you wanna be right, or do you wanna be happy?" AND "If Momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy."

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Get her the PPK, anything else and you are just buying yourself trouble.
    Years of experience teaches that if she has made her mind up to something don't ever try to substitute something almost as good or less expensive. Your going to end up buying what she wants anyway just go ahead and do it now.

Top Bottom