So my wife walks in on me while I'm eating Grape-Nuts one night....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Have her hold a PPK and then immediately have her hold a Bersa Thunder .380. They are almost identical guns. Main difference is that the Bersa cost about 1/2 of what a PPK costs.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I would recommend considering the Bersa Thunder 380.

I have a few of them and they are outstanding firearms.

It is by far one of my wife's favorites.... and she is dead on balls accurate with them.

Loaded with Hornady defense ammo, they can be expected to provide decent stopping power too... particularly when combined with good shot placement.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If my wife said she wanted a Custom 1911 in pink with glittery scales, I would call a gunsmith the next day and get one on order. If she enjoys shooting I will bend over backwards to make sure that I keep it that way

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    get the PPK its what SHE wants and if she doesnt like it give it to me lol

The PPK has a nostalgia about it just like the baby browning. Just cause it isnt ultra modern and plastic doesnt mean its not good. With my female experiences if its what she wants than itl be best cause she wont wanna be settling for what you think could be the better gun.

I know I dont wanna be shot by a 380 or 32 and I dont think a bad guy will either

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    PPKs are a good choice, but i would try to get your mitts on one for her to shoot before she makes a final decision. While many do not consider the recoil too much, I have known some women and new shooters to complain that it has too much muzzle flip. My dads wife tried to snag his Sig P230 that I bought him last year, but after shooting it, decided that it was too hard to control.
    If she likes PPK, and is comfortable shooting it, have her look at the Bersa 380 as well. If it werent for the external safety part, I would also suggest looking at the Sig P230/232.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    The bersas that are a copy a abit cheaper and run like a champ. I have one with over 2500 rds and no hic ups at all. Though i would love to have a ppk/s :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'll echo the idea to get her to a place where she can hold and if possible, shoot the PPK. Absolutely do not try to convince her that something else would be a better choice; if that's the case, that needs to be her decision. If the PPK works for her, go with it. If it doesn't, tell her you're sorry it didn't work out for her, but that you have a couple other ideas that might suit her better. My wife started with my P22. First couple of times didn't work out so well, but she got much more comfortable and accurate with it. She tried my 9mm once and didn't like it at all. We settled on a PK 380, but it hasn't been to the range to play yet. If it doesn't work out, we'll find her something that will.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My X did fine with 9x19 out of the Beretta 92FS, but the PT709 was "too much". She didn't mind the .380 from the Sig230, which should be equivalent to a PPK.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    She told you what she wanted, so go with that.
    However, if cost is a factor, show her the Bersa as an option....

Have her hold a PPK and then immediately have her hold a Bersa Thunder .380. They are almost identical guns. Main difference is that the Bersa cost about 1/2 of what a PPK costs.

I would recommend considering the Bersa Thunder 380.

I have a few of them and they are outstanding firearms.

It is by far one of my wife's favorites.... and she is dead on balls accurate with them.

Loaded with Hornady defense ammo, they can be expected to provide decent stopping power too... particularly when combined with good shot placement.

The bersas that are a copy a abit cheaper and run like a champ. I have one with over 2500 rds and no hic ups at all. Though i would love to have a ppk/s :)

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Apparently Grape-Nuts can absorb several times their volume in fluids and swell accordingly. A one pound box of Grape-Nuts filled the 1 quart bowl I used to use as a cereal bowl. After eat it I started getting pain in my belly. I noticed my stomach was growing. It was like being pregnant in time-lapse. Over the next hour I gained 4 inches around my waist. It was agony. It took 3 days to feel right again.

:laugh: Was I the only person who read this. I bet your wife or girlfriend wasn't too happy. My guess is hat you wer bloating due to excess gas, fiber has a tendency of doing that.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, back from the gun show. She didn't like the Sig238, like the PPK and Bersa Thunder equally and was willing to start with the Thunder until she realized she didn't like the tight fit of the slide. We also looked at a S&W Bodyguard. After a little more she picked up a Walther PK380 and it was like the heavens opened up, God's light shined down on her and a choir of angels sang "alleluia." Guess we'll be picking up a PK22 for plinking too!

We came back and looked at reviews, comments, eg and it looks like it'll be a good bet. Thanks again all!

And now back to the Grape-Nuts.

Top Bottom