So say the AWB passes...what about the fine print?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    1. Assuming manufacturers stop making "pre-ban" complete weapons at 11:59 PM on "Stupid AWB Eve," what happens to the...

Gun shop inventory?

Distributor inventory?

Manufacturer inventory on the shipping dock?

Items in the "Big Brown Truck?"

2. What happens to pre-ban components in boxes waiting to be assembled at the manufacturer? Will the ATF barge in and confiscate boxes of flash suppressors, threaded barrels, pistol grips, and collapsible stocks?

3. Will 30 round mags immediately be pulled from shelves? Will new mfg 30 rounders with "capacity limiters" capping them at 10 rounds (like a shotgun "plug) be allowed? Will 30 rounders on shelves be destroyed? Oh, the humanity! At least give them to the military.

I wasn't up on what went down in 1994 as a 9 year old. Just curious what kind of pointless BS to expect if this gets crammed down our throats.

In the meantime, keep up the good fight...letters, calls, Facebook, etc.!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Last time it banned only items made after xx-xx-1994 anything made before that was legal to sell.

...but this time??

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1. Assuming manufacturers stop making "pre-ban" complete weapons at 11:59 PM on "Stupid AWB Eve," what happens to the...

Nobody here has seen the text of any of the bills currently being crafted, so all we can do is speculate based on how the previous ban (1994-2004) was structured. To that end:

Gun shop inventory?

Prices on existing guns with "evil features" will skyrocket, as they would be of "pre ban" manufacture and thus grandfathered.

Distributor inventory?

See above.

Manufacturer inventory on the shipping dock?

See above.

Items in the "Big Brown Truck?"

See above.

What happens to pre-ban components in boxes waiting to be assembled at the manufacturer?

They could only be used to assemble weapons in "ban compliant" configurations, weapons with non-compliant features for sale to law enforcement agencies or individual officers (on agency letterhead specifying the weapon is for official duty use and not personal use), or for use on pre-ban weapons.

Will the ATF barge in and confiscate boxes of flash suppressors, threaded barrels, pistol grips, and collapsible stocks?

Of course not; those items would still be perfectly legal if installed on pre-ban weapons, or in constructing weapons for LE/gov use, or export.

3. Will 30 round mags immediately be pulled from shelves?

Only long enough to mark the prices up (they would be "pre-ban" as well and would be grandfathered)

Will new mfg 30 rounders with "capacity limiters" capping them at 10 rounds (like a shotgun "plug) be allowed?

No; ban magazines would have to be limited to 10 or less rounds such that they could not be readily altered or restored to hold more than that.

I was just getting into guns around the time the '94 ban was enacted, and had the "privilege" of working in the retail gun biz during its heyday. It sucked. PLEASE, everyone who is either too young to remember the 1994 AWB or just didn't care (wasn't into guns at the time), trust us when we say you don't want to go through anything like that. Write or call your elected representatives and make your voice heard – do not force law-abiding citizens to suffer for the illegal actions of a handful of madmen!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even the Democrats are saying no bill will make ownership of any item illegal retroactively. I think we're getting all spun up prematurely on this. Calm down, weather the emotions a bit, and then let's see if there is any real threat for a new AWB.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I realize current items will be "grandfathered in"...I was just curious about the items caught in the "in between."

For example, when you make an engine, it falls under the emissions regulations that were in place at the time the crankshaft gets installed...i.e., you can build up an inventory of short blocks up until Dec 31st at 11:59, complete them on January 1st, and they only have to meet previous year's regs. Mfgs don't push their luck too much on this though.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Lots and lots of sales, but has ......

..... anyone noted a ballooning of prices on any particular item, as Stripped Lowers, Uppers, any specific style or type of long gun other than "Black?" And WHO is doing it? I don't expect a great surge in ammo prices due to the pipeline being (finally) so full. But there may be gun-gougers, and we each have a responsibility to warn each other about those merchandisers who are trying to make extra $$$ on the caskets of dead children. Did the gun used in the shooting have a bayonet-lug??

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    IF all goes worst case scenario as far legislation is concerned, hopefully the Reps in the house stick together and in that case will have the votes to prevent it's passing.
    Beyond that, the language of the bill is still unknown as others have stated. But I'd suspect it will be stricter than before seeing how the Dems got it once and saw the flaws in it the first time.
    My :twocents: anyway.

Stay safe

Top Bottom