So there I was kneeling down airing up my tire.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    ….when out from the front of my vehicle steps a guy who doesn’t appear “right”.

I’m parked with the compressor in about the middle of the left side of my vehicle so that I can air up both tires. My 9-year-old is climbing around on the concrete pad that the compressor is sitting on.

The guy appears out of nowhere asking which direction I was headed because he wanted to save some money on the cab fare that is on its way. I looked over and up towards him and said that I was headed around the corner to my house. He asked if I had a cell phone. I did not. He starts to inch towards me asking if I was a hunter. I said that I was. He got to the front of my driver door, asked if I collected guns and if I’d be interested in a gun.

I was really on high alert at this point and began scanning this guy as I stood up. He was wearing baggy sweatpants and a T-shirt too big for him so I couldn’t make anything out. He was very much intoxicated from the smell even from 10 feet away. I had the air hose at my right hip where my weapon was. I slowly began to move towards the front wheel that was now behind him. He immediately backed away and I’m thinking my size kind of startled him. Either that or he was still competent enough to use those questions to figure me out enough to realize that I could be carrying.

He has now backed away to well out in front of my vehicle. At this point, his cab has driven by; he notices, sort of gives chase and hollers out to it. I drop down to air up the front tire while keeping an eye on the back of his head. His couple seconds of running must have disrupted things because my 9-year-old, who has now moved to the right rear of the vehicle, watched him raise his shirt and adjust the position of the shotgun he was carrying. He comes around and asks if I saw it. I immediately called the cab company and gave their dispatcher the cab number.

My thoughts afterwards:

First, I was proud of my son because he immediately moved from the compressor to the left rear of my vehicle during the whole thing. I do know that he was peeking around the corner to watch. We have sort of “trained” for intruders at home. He was taught to put me between himself and the bad guy (not in a line) but not to be right on me for when I have to act. He said he slid from one side of the vehicle to the other side with his back against the vehicle “Mission Impossible” style to watch the guy go to the cab. He said he felt very tense because he was also on high alert. We talk regularly about "spidey sense".

Second, I called the cab company because I felt that the dispatcher could decide whether or not to involve the police and could at least put the driver on alert. They at least already have some info on him and his destination. I don’t know that it’s technically against the law to carry a shotgun while intoxicated so I didn’t think he was breaking the law. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

Third, I think this is about as close as I’ve ever been to actually reaching for my weapon. I was very calm throughout the thing. I’ve practiced my draw and while I’m not a black belt, I can handle myself in close encounters. I’m not sure what would’ve happened if this guy had just run around the corner and jumped on me because I would not have been able to get to my weapon in time. I think I need to consider training from this point for sure.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Way to handle it, and way to raise the little one right and to trust that spidey sense. So many people discount that feeling. Glad to know you also trained him well on what to do in those situations. Already paid off.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, best part was you knew from the get go, things wern't right. He could have had a Twinkie hidden in his clothing for all you knew. Probobly would have used teh scattergun to rid you of car and cash if you had let him. Good job.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I agree that I would have been on edge as well. I'm impressed that your young one knew what to do from what you've taught him especially since it's hard to practice that sort of thing. Kudos to you sir!

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    Great job! I hope I am able to train my kids that well. They are 2 and yonger right now.
    Kudos to you on an excellent job from training to putting it into action.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Looks like you and Jr handled everything very well.:yesway: The only advice I can offer is to buy an air compressor to handle such tasks at your house. Or, buy one that runs on 12v to keep in the car, allowing you to fill up wherever you wish. I don't like hanging around gas stations any longer than is necessary:twocents:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Looks like you and Jr handled everything very well.:yesway: The only advice I can offer is to buy an air compressor to handle such tasks at your house. Or, buy one that runs on 12v to keep in the car, allowing you to fill up wherever you wish. I don't like hanging around gas stations any longer than is necessary:twocents:

Not to sound like a nervous Nellie, but this is the only thing I could say you may learn from your encounter. It seems that the one thing a majority of these type threads have is they all start at a gas station.
    As far as calling the cab company, and alerting them to a possible issue might have saved a persons life. Maybe not, but when it comes to lives, I would rather take a chance and lean toward the cautious side. Good job, all the way around.:yesway:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Obviously, that knife you're carrying isn't intimidating enough. Get a bigger one. :D

Sounds like you got a good kid there, and he has a good dad.

SA might have suffered a bit, but we can't have our heads on swivels all the time. I think you're right in that this might have shown you a possible weak point in your training.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I agree!! the training of your child paid off... And yes by all means get more training for yourself. Those situations dont happen to all of us, but having enough sense and some good training is a great feeling of confidence when needed.

Top Bottom